A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

BrianLo

The rumor is that the Alice ride will be based on the live action films, like the Maze at Shanghai is. Should be right next to the maze.

I'm also a bit confused on this as everything points to it being live action based but @WDW1974 mentioned it is the same as the Tokyo version (whose artwork is animated inspired).

Hope he can clarify!

wdwgreek

I was selected probably six times out of a possible 12-14. It was just annoying ... I did see them wanding a guy at EPCOT and actually putting their hands on his waistband and possibly in it (I was a bit away). I would not have allowed that at all. Oh, the man was dark complexioned. But I am sure Disney will say they aren't profiling because they made my elderly mother go through the machine as well.

Again, only ignorant people would feel safe with these theatrics.

Loved going to Europa Park in January and entering without even a bag check. Nothing. Just like the good old days here.
THIS. The metal detectors are lip service security to put the masses at ease, i've been saying that for months! Glad to hear the sentiment is shared!

doctornick

I'm also a bit confused on this as everything points to it being live action based but @WDW1974 mentioned it is the same as the Tokyo version (whose artwork is animated inspired).

Hope he can clarify!

I wonder if the Tokyo one is off the table (or delayed indefinitely?) since IASW doesn't seem to be moving. Wasn't it supposed to be take over the land where IASW was?

JustInTime

Nothing new. It does seem like a done deal in Anaheim, which is terrible (despite what some feel). Here it is going through the process ... but I wouldn't bet anyone's life on it ... even Jim Hill's or Lou Mongello's!

(maybe I would!:devilish::cool::D)
Thanks for responding! I feel it is unlikely simply because the park can't afford to lose the ride for downtime. Fingers crossed.

BrianLo

I wonder if the Tokyo one is off the table (or delayed indefinitely?) since IASW doesn't seem to be moving. Wasn't it supposed to be take over the land where IASW was?

Ya that is more likely, but @WDW1974 seemed pretty sure it is still on the table. Even though I can't understand how. If it's converted to the live action side I guess putting it beside the queen of hearts restaraunt is no longer as vital.

Frozen will still come though - I'd bet my life on that. They'd be throwing away so much money in Japan especially by not moving forward with that.

WDW1974

Original Poster
We were there in early December.
On 2 seperate occasions, I had a creepy feeling, hair on the back of your neck sort of thing. Some of the folks around were out of place and their behavior was VERY odd. Obviously nothing happened, but I do think there may have been some folks there whom were up to no good and either got scared or the police apprehended them before it was too late.

The security was... non-existent. Waved thru, half the time bag checks were just a quick glance. The metal detectors were not there yet, but really what are those going to do, especially if selectively applied.

In this day and age, a major soft target with lots of folks needs better security. Period.

I don't want to turn this thread into 15 pages of security ... what I will say is Disney needs intelligent security and that isn't readily apparent, despite some of the residents of Golden Oak (oops, did I say that again!?!) You absolutely don't need bag checks or anything like that ... you need trained eyes. For what Disney spent and continues to spend on NGE, they could have hired the Israelis to train and supervise a REAL security force. WDW is 43 square miles (just ask Imagineer Jason Grandt!) You can't cover a city by simply placing security at theme park main entrances.

doctornick

Thanks for responding! I feel it is unlikely simply because the park can't afford to lose the ride for downtime. Fingers crossed.

I continue to feel like that is the biggest reason why we won't see GotG come to DHS. They really can't afford to shut it down for the time needed to make the conversion (DL's is supposedly going to be down for, what, 6 months?) given the attraction capacity in the park.

WDW1974

Original Poster
When you say "Alice", do you mean the live-action version or the animated version?

Live action. Just like the existing maze.

And while we are on the subject of major kewl developments coming to other resorts, Toontown at DL will indeed be getting taken over by Frozen and other properties. Not sure the entire land will go, but what stays isn't likely to look the same ...

ThemeParkJunkee

I don't want to turn this thread into 15 pages of security ... what I will say is Disney needs intelligent security and that isn't readily apparent, despite some of the residents of Golden Oak (oops, did I say that again!?!) You absolutely don't need bag checks or anything like that ... you need trained eyes. For what Disney spent and continues to spend on NGE, they could have hired the Israelis to train and supervise a REAL security force. WDW is 43 square miles (just ask Imagineer Jason Grandt!) You can't cover a city by simply placing security at theme park main entrances.

I agree, the security comments in your original posts were not meant to be the main topic of this thread and you made that clear. The money MIS-spent on NGE when the money should have gone elsewhere is noted. Anyone have the Israili Security Budget for an area the size of WDW handy?

mharrington

And while we are on the subject of major kewl developments coming to other resorts, Toontown at DL will indeed be getting taken over by Frozen and other properties. Not sure the entire land will go, but what stays isn't likely to look the same ...

I hope they at least have a home (preferably a real house) for Mickey and Minnie to be in. And also a kiddie coaster like Gadget's Go Coaster before it.

And if they get rid of Toontown at Disneyland, they should get rid of it in Tokyo, too. Maybe they could relocate Small World over to that spot like the original plans, and then fill in the newly-opened up space with Alice stuff (given its proximity to the Queen of Hearts restaurant), also as per the original plans.

Creathir

Profiling, smart profiling based on behavior and human intel, is the only way to do this. That is what Israel does and it works.

Disney should do the same.

doctornick

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

The Lord knows I hate Frozen, but as long as Roger stays, I wouldn't complain too much. I feel Mickey and Minnie's homes should stay, but wouldn't be surprised if those were bulldozed.

There can't be possible room for a bit of Toontown, Frozen, and other properties back there... I'm assuming Disney is thinking of taking up the space that the Fantasyland Theatre occupies?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom