A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

Creathir

The threat in December, as near as I have been told , was a mass casualty attack on the MK, likely involving suicide bombers near the castle.

Since you haven't heard of anyone being arrested (of course, that dude who was arrested by the French at DLP sorta faded into oblivion in the media as well, didn't he?), one might put two and two together.

I really don't wish to focus on this issue beyond what I have stated as I don't need to talk to the FBI ... again! Although it is good to know how close they really are! (Again, someone might want to wake up Soup & Salad Sandra and remind her that her job isn't rehashing press releases while 'interviewing' people she meets on the Tweeter, but actually covering what is going on.)

We were there in early December.
On 2 seperate occasions, I had a creepy feeling, hair on the back of your neck sort of thing. Some of the folks around were out of place and their behavior was VERY odd. Obviously nothing happened, but I do think there may have been some folks there whom were up to no good and either got scared or the police apprehended them before it was too late.

The security was... non-existent. Waved thru, half the time bag checks were just a quick glance. The metal detectors were not there yet, but really what are those going to do, especially if selectively applied.

In this day and age, a major soft target with lots of folks needs better security. Period.

mharrington

Right now, it appears the Captain America coaster hybrid for DCA will be reskinned to another Marvel character (most likely Iron Man or Spidey -- just opinion here) and along with an Everest clone and an Alice in Wonderland trackless ride should be the three big attractions added with another spinner or the like added to round out the expansion.

When you say "Alice", do you mean the live-action version or the animated version?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm a mom...it's my job to worry about my two year old. Plus, shouldn't that strike you as absolutely awful to even have to say that? That's the "reality of our world?" How tragic is that? I'll still have a good time, but that doesn't mean that might not be in the back of mind.

Worrying does no good, though. I almost got into a shouting match with a security guard at EPCOT over him telling me going through a metal detector to enter a stale, sad theme park with no attractions anymore was for my own safety and me telling him that it was for many things, but most definitely not my security. Just like the TSA, it largely is security theater ... and it doesn't entertain me at all.

But you can't help but notice when there are 25 security guards at the entrance to EPCOT plus OC Sheriff's Deputies and SUVs that are unmarked and clearly some governmental agency.

ThemeParkJunkee

I have had a few people (in very different places in Disney) tell me that NGE's costs are now past $3 billion with some people saying they are actually approaching $4 billion.

You just think about that.

All I know is that my MAGIC Band still requires me carrying an AP discount card to save a lousy dollar on my gelato. This is a tech boondoggle of the highest magnitude.

4 Billion. I think I just choked on my adult beverage. That's more than the entire DHS expansion plus! I'm sure a lot of that is also written off to operating costs, it depends on what it is.

WDW1974

Original Poster
When I was at the park early April, I was selected once for "random screening". It was pretty embarrassing that I was the one telling the security team how to do a proper search...

I was selected probably six times out of a possible 12-14. It was just annoying ... I did see them wanding a guy at EPCOT and actually putting their hands on his waistband and possibly in it (I was a bit away). I would not have allowed that at all. Oh, the man was dark complexioned. But I am sure Disney will say they aren't profiling because they made my elderly mother go through the machine as well.

Again, only ignorant people would feel safe with these theatrics.

Loved going to Europa Park in January and entering without even a bag check. Nothing. Just like the good old days here.

PhotoDave219

Hearing this is so weird as I had a dream last night I died from a bomb right outside Cinderella's Castle...

Sorry about your dream....

Worrying does no good, though. I almost got into a shouting match with a security guard at EPCOT over him telling me going through a metal detector to enter a stale, sad theme park with no attractions anymore was for my own safety and me telling him that it was for many things, but most definitely not my security. Just like the TSA, it largely is security theater ... and it doesn't entertain me at all.

But you can't help but notice when there are 25 security guards at the entrance to EPCOT plus OC Sheriff's Deputies and SUVs that are unmarked and clearly some governmental agency.

Yeah, its overt.

That being said, I watched a guy in Orlando get into a shouting match with TSA. He ALMOST went too far, I saw it in the TSA officer's eyes, he wanted to jack that guy up.

BrianLo

Oh, and since I alluded to it earlier, Shanghai's Phase II is moving ahead at lightning speed because, again, despite what fanbois on the Tweeter say, SDL's menu simply doesn't provide enough attractions, enough capacity.

Right now, it appears the Captain America coaster hybrid for DCA will be reskinned to another Marvel character (most likely Iron Man or Spidey -- just opinion here) and along with an Everest clone and an Alice in Wonderland trackless ride should be the three big attractions added with another spinner or the like added to round out the expansion. Plans are in flux, but the above is pretty damn solid or I wouldn't put it out now.

What very rough timeline are we talking for this? No it definitely doesn't provide enough for a new resort and with the numbers they are projecting, but it's certainly not 'bad'.

Wish they actually spent that 800 on getting those things ready for near opening.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm surprised the free guac is still around.

Menu has been dumbed down greatly, though. Of course, burgers are back.

But it looks like they literally are counting (or weighing) the chips before they give you the bowl. This is going to bite them on the ar$e.

BTW, anyone looking to steal soda: head to Captain Cook's, ask for a cup for water ... and fill it with whatever you like as Rapid Fill is turned off completely. Everywhere else, just buy a kid's drink (was 99 cents two years ago ... $1.29 last year ... $1.99 now) as you get four refills and that is more than enough.

JustInTime

Realistically speaking? You're in much more peril & danger simply traveling via automobile to WDW, the airport, the grocery store, the neighborhood brothel, etc., then ever experiencing anything like what was previously described.

Yes, it makes your hair crawl when you think about it......
Honestly, the thought of me personally diying doesn't scare me. But the thought of somebody blowing up any part of Disney World is way more scary to me. I've never feared death. But mess with something or somebody I love and I just can't take it.

TangledUpInKnots

So basically...Have a magical time in the most wonderful place on earth while security stands around and decides who to pat down...Magical, so magical. "What's that you have in your purse ma'am?" "My epipen..." I've had to say that many times to many security guards in my life.

ThemeParkJunkee

I've actually been watching the Invictus Games to same degree until it makes me cry....I'm wimpy that way. I can see why this may be a target due to the attendees.

As for the increased security...Security Theater is for the general poplulace, increased incognito security? You will never see. I suspect there was a lot of the latter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom