A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

MKCP 1985

That @ParentsOf4 post was just what I needed on a Monday morning. Thanks for that!

It takes me back to my cast member days in the summer of 1985. I was just a college program kid, a "CT" living out a dream of working at the place that had been such a big influence on my childhood. In those days, the future of what the Walt Disney Company would become was very much up in the air. Our corporate seminars discussed at length the stress placed on company leadership by the Saul Steinberg hostile takeover attempt and the Roy Disney power play that kept the company from being sold off for parts. In the break rooms, permanent cast - many in their early 20s but unlike me, planning to make a career of their job - worried that Epcot Center would have to be sold off because of its great expense and planned ticket price hikes to $26 per day would run off the loyal guests that kept the place going.

But the thing we heard over and over was that working at Disney was unlike working anywhere else. Providing the guests a safe, quality experience would be the model after which other corporations would only give lip service but only Disney would truly demand it. I had the good fortune to personally experience WDW Parks and Resorts President Nunis (his first name is always blocked) in the park, on busy days, DEMANDING food and beverage quick service staff put the guests ahead of anything else, and I couldn't imagine that working for Disney's could ever be any other way. I wish some of you could have had that same experience. The memory has stayed with me to this day and affects the way I approach my work.

friedriches

could also be something getting way too strong lights from up close.
Kinda when you have a very wide lens and your flash bounces on the closest things.
They look almost white. Still.. I swear these rounded patches do not look like your normal bokeh phenomenon. Unless it was a very particular lens that created those different than normal white splotches.

It's definitely bokeh. Source: I'm a photographer.

friedriches

I'm not a giant fan of the app. I saw something where they use the microphone to listen to what music youre listening to in order to promote targeting advertising. Or they were planning on it... either way, I deleted the app....

The messenger app did have that functionality baked in, secretly, but it's only functional on Android. On iOS, because it's a closed system, nothing can activate services like location or microphone in the background without the user actively allowing it.

Things like that keep me on iOS, for now.

BubbaQuest

Germane given the earlier discussion of SWE being shoehorned into and at the expense of DL.
View attachment 141754
via Figment Jedi on tweeter

And to add a little more perspective. The area in green is already owned by Disney and that doesn't include the Toy Story parking lot further south that is already zoned for a third theme park. That brown blot didn't need to be there.
moredisney.jpg

the.dreamfinder

And to add a little more perspective. The area in green is already owned by Disney and that doesn't include the Toy Story parking lot further south that is already zoned for a third theme park. That brown blot didn't need to be there.
View attachment 142235
Too bad Bob had to put himself ahead of the long term needs of the Disneyland Resort and the possibilities of the Star Wars IP going forward.

NobodyElse

View attachment 142235

If your proposed thought is to put Star Wars next to the freeway, would that mean they should build the new parking structure next to Rivers of America? (I'm being facetious, but I'd actually like to hear your idea further fleshed-out because I'm probably missing some pieces to your plan.)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't get it. Do you object to the merch, or the YouTubeification of the marketing? The former is nothing new and the latter is not unique to Disney.

The concept that the Merch is more important than the anniversary, i.e. it's more important to push cheap tat than celebrate the anniversary and as an extension of the celebration have souvenirs available to purchase as a reminder.

tribbleorlfl

Nope. I think you are letting Disney off easy. Disney wrote the book on the business and quality. They don't get a pass because they were greedy and opened more parks and resorts (that brought in more revenue and profit!) I'd argue that UNI had an excuse because they weren't even really No. 2 until IOA opened in 1999 (and recall that within its first two full years of operation we suffered a recession and the worst attack on our nation since WWII).

Disney simply started conditioning Guests to expecting less, aided greatly by the Internet and, in the last decade, social media.
You wouldn't want to take a quality control walk with me through any, and I do mean ANY, WDW park or resort because you'd realize how bad things really are ... and wonder how many billions it would take just to fix everything that is broken and/or neglected.
I think you misunderstood the point of my post. I am not letting Disney off the hook, AT ALL. There has been a sad and unfortunate shift within TWDC and specifically TDO where instead of quality and value driving profitability, quality and value is seen as the antithesis of profitability.

I was simply saying that the WDW of today, despite its obvious differences, is in a very similar state to UO circa a decade ago. I don't give WDW a pass for what they've become, I just disagree with revisionist history when it comes to their competition.

I did a quality check of the UO parks every day walking to and from my unit and major lapses in show quality and maintenance became readily apparent 6-12 months after IOA opened. That was more than a year before 9/11 and the economy tanking. While you may disagree, I don't think they had an excuse to let the parks go so quickly.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think you misunderstood the point of my post. I am not letting Disney off the hook, AT ALL. There has been a sad and unfortunate shift within TWDC and specifically TDO where instead of quality and value driving profitability, quality and value is seen as the antithesis of profitability.

I was simply saying that the WDW of today, despite its obvious differences, is in a very similar state to UO circa a decade ago. I don't give WDW a pass for what they've become, I just disagree with revisionist history when it comes to their competition.

I did a quality check of the UO parks every day walking to and from my unit and major lapses in show quality and maintenance became readily apparent 6-12 months after IOA opened. That was more than a year before 9/11 and the economy tanking. While you may disagree, I don't think they had an excuse to let the parks go so quickly.

Recall that UO was owned at the time by GE a finance oriented company run by "Neutron Jack" Welch so no surprise there

CaptainAmerica

The concept that the Merch is more important than the anniversary, i.e. it's more important to push cheap tat than celebrate the anniversary and as an extension of the celebration have souvenirs available to purchase as a reminder.
45 isn't anything. So new merch (minimal importance) is more important than the anniversary itself (zero importance).

Five is a big deal. Ten is a big deal. 25 is a big deal. After that, who cares until 50 and 100?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom