A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

Grumpy1973

Am I the only one who noticed that "sour grapes" was only mickey1211's THIRD post since joining in 2009... I mean I know I don't post a lot either BUT

Longhairbear

A question, do you think the blogging/whoring community in O-Town has been told what restaurants and shops they have to pimp by Dr. Blondie and Co?

I just wonder because they all seem to rave about Homecoming, which is wildly overrated and pricey ($26-29 for fried chicken?!?! I don't care that Art Smith made it for Oprah!), and all seem to bash STK, which seems much less part of the 'fan/DPB community'. I haven't dined at the latter, but is popular in other locations.

Also seems that the Bloggers just all love the places owned and operated by WDW Co. The DeLuxe Burger joint and the wildly lousy Jock Lindsey's (do they actually put alcohol in their drinks or exist to sell mugs to fanbois who think alcohol is 'icky'?)

Another popular place is Blaze Pizza, which I enjoy but they are all over the place with cheaper prices than the DS locale.

It is almost like when fanboi bloggers and Lifestylers bashed the Alice film. They knew that was OK, so long as they didn't bash Captain America 3 (never saw) and Finding Dory (very average). Bet they all love Moana and Rogue One.

Just wondering how much the bloggers are being pushed to like certain places or send eyes their way ...
Out here in the desert, the bloggers are calling themselves "influencers", among other terms, such as a "maker", and "purpose dinners" that makers get to meet the influencers.

Jon81uk

Another popular place is Blaze Pizza, which I enjoy but they are all over the place with cheaper prices than the DS locale.

Coming from England, Blaze Pizza was still new to me, and sensibly priced. I don't think I could get similar pizza for much cheaper in London.

But it says a lot about where they have got it wrong in Disney Springs when the most popular place is cheap and has plenty of seating. They added too much outdoor / takeaway quick service.

STK is also the wrong sort of place, I want either a good steak or a bar/club. I wouldn't want to eat steak with a DJ. But equally there isn't anywhere to just get a drink, except for Jock's.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ok. 'Inevitable' is a loaded word that always jumps out at me. WDW could have invested and expanded their lead, but their ability to do so was limited at the time according to the prices that the market would bear due to the 2008 recession (I think, ETA: as the direction WDW went in was great for business, not necessarily great for fans. Agreed re: UO.)

However UNI chose to start building during that period because construction was cheap, Disney could have done the same yet instead decided instead of building/refurbishing plant and equipment when it was inexpensive to do so to pump the stock price instead.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Maybe thats why he's angry.
He is tied to DVC points and cant get out.
There are many angry DVC owners thanks to see their costs go skyhigh (maintenance). And their exclusives and discounts go down.

If I wanted to I can sell my points at a profit,

I am however quite angry at how post 2012 costs have exploded and in the past rooms were well maintained recently EVERY visit has issues which require that I spend hours at the front desk to fix. I travel for business and Marriott and Hilton don't have the level of issues that the Disney hotels have and on the rare occasion I have trouble with a room it's fixed with the first phone call or desk visit and none of the 'what do you expect me to do about it? attitude so prevalent at the Disney hotels'

Prince-1

Honestly, the responses from the last couple of pages have been making me laugh. This thread has been humorous.

3pb3bz.jpg

The Empress Lilly

Don't be sorry. TDA, and to a lesser extent Burbank, are extremely displeased that the reaction has been so negative.

If the GotG wind up in EPCOT, Disney will take a different tact I've been told with social media and how the plans are announced.
So instead of learning from the GotG backlash that the fans don't want any of it, they take away that they need to shove it down their throats differently.

ParentsOf4

Edit: As you probably already know, although Disney's hotels do boast impressive occupancy, an average of 70% Deluxe rooms are booked on some sort of discount package.
You raise a valid point but it's also true for many (most?) hotels; discounts account for a large percentage of bookings. Frankly, it's a business model adopted by many (most?) consumer-based industries.

Disney used to be different. At WDW, the room price was the room price. Period. There never was a discount. However, this was back in the day when a tower room at the Contemporary could be booked for today's equivalent of about $200-250 per night.

Disney abandoned this many years ago. Blame Eisner and Wells.

SorcererMC

However UNI chose to start building during that period because construction was cheap, Disney could have done the same yet instead decided instead of building/refurbishing plant and equipment when it was inexpensive to do so to pump the stock price instead.

Right. I see that in my post that you are quoting I wasn't being clear. What I meant was WDW could have used their price leader position to increase their ticket prices (in spite of not building new rides/attractions); in 2008-10 there were limits as to what the market would bear/ what consumers would tolerate. To take it one step further, come 2011-12 with the addition of NFL and increased consumer willingness to pay, there were no such limits.

SorcererMC

So instead of learning from the GotG backlash that the fans don't want any of it, they take away that they need to shove it down their throats differently.

It reeks of corporate arrogance, a sign of toxic management culture. It tarnishes the brand and it's self-destructive.

ETA: Here's hoping they get a new CEO with fresh eyes who will clean house and turn it around.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom