A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

KeeKee

0cbff56c4d5a34b536f72e6726077b37.jpg

Thanks for playing, come again.
Well...that's unfortunate...

Mike S

The stories in this thread have made me realize something. People keep talking about the 50th anniversary and what they want Disney to do for it. New E Tickets, new parades, new fireworks, etc. You know what I want for it? Resort wide renovations on the level DLP is getting for its 25th anniversary. I'd like to see the place shine like it hasn't for a long time. We have a little over 5 years before it hits so that should be more than enough time for them to do it all and of course this would affect guests but it would all be worth it in the long run. Sadly I doubt this would happen. Prepare yourselves for the 50th cupcake party for the amazing value of $149.99 per head.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

The stories in this thread have made me realize something. People keep talking about the 50th anniversary and what they want Disney to do for it. New E Tickets, new parades, new fireworks, etc. You know what I want for it? Resort wide renovations on the level DLP is getting for its 25th anniversary. I'd like to see the place shine like it hasn't for a long time. We have a little over 5 years before it hits so that should be more than enough time for them to do it all and of course this would affect guests but it would all be worth it in the long run. Sadly I doubt this would happen. Prepare yourselves for the 50th cupcake party for the amazing value of $149.99 per head.
Or like what Disneyland got for its 50th. Of course, that's when Matt Ouimet was still at Disney. Now he's at Cedar Fair and has successfully lead a restoration/enhancement of Knotts the last few years.

Last edited:

GrumpyFan

I don't want to turn this thread into 15 pages of security ... what I will say is Disney needs intelligent security and that isn't readily apparent, despite some of the residents of Golden Oak (oops, did I say that again!?!)

Come on now, you can't just throw that out (twice) and not give at least a little more of a hint of what you're referring to.

Last edited:

BubbaQuest

gmajew

Premium Member
Oh, I get it. You mean it would take 18-24 months in Fantasyland. Seriously, put down the Tinker Bell pipe.

"MK really does not need much..." Hasn't had a new E-ticket in, oh, 25 years, but -- yeah -- it's doing just fine. The old attractions get older and more neglected, the new attractions fail to impress, new nighttime entertainment is needed. Let's move on.

"Epcot - fix imagination and energy"... By the time those are fixed (realistically, 2020? 2022? 2024?), M:S will be 20+ years old, Test Track will be 25+ years old, and Seas will be 15+ years old. See how it works? Disney has fallen so far behind that the parks will never catch up.

"HS is being done and cannot complain." When is it going to be "done," and what's it going to consist of? A new carnival area and top-notch (we hope) Star Wars expansion? They've closed half the park and that's all replacing it with? Who's paying $150 a day (which is what it will be by the time it opens) to ride two new Star Wars rides that will have 4 hour waits, because everything else in the park is either closed or ancient?

"AK is being done." With one new expansion and a nighttime show that missed its opening date? Anything else?

You didn't even touch the infrastructure problems, transportation, monorails, resort upkeep...

As some of us have been saying, WDW is off the rails, has been off the rails for years, and getting it back on the rails looks less and less likely with each passing day. There's simply too much to do which would require far too much money to make it happen, and the place has become so stagnant that the cost of bringing it up to speed would never get the Board's approval.

Like always you miss the point of the post... If the right people are in place and the leadership says go get it done it can all be fixed that fast... But again you want to paint the picture as the world is falling and parts of it is but hey you are the way you are.

I am not a pixie duster but I am a person that knows what can get done when a company sets it mind to it. Universal has shown things can be fixed fast and new rides go up...

MK does not need another E ticket right now.. it needs fixes and if you read which you don't I said replace Stitch while redoing space complete... But again you don't read.

Epcot can be fixed in 18-24 months and then continued to be plussed after that with something every year... But seas, and mission to space will be the next to that need work but I picked Energy and Imagination to start...

JustInTime

@WDW1974 A small tidbit to nibble on that it seems everyone skimmed over... You said Marvel is going on the plot of where Avatar would have been, overseas.

Were they getting a clone of what's being built in DAK or was it supposed to be something entirely new?

Is DLP and DLR getting the same Marvel ..."experiences"??
So is Florida the only park getting Avatar?

MonkeyHead

You see, Walt Disney Imagineering requires that PCL hand mix a secret blend of only the finest Portland cement, aggregates from the foremost quarries and the finest spring water to create a bespoke, artisanal, small batch concrete that can only be... Disney.

But first, Joe Rohde must visit darkest Peru and talk to the indigenous bears to make sure the experience will be authentic.

BrianLo

When it was first announced, it was supposed to be in several parks- not sure which, though. I highly doubt it's going into ANY park besides Floriduh's.... but, I'm not entirely sure.

@marni1971 ? @Lee ?

Yes, Avatar plans fell off the rails at all other resorts several years back. (DLP and they tried to sell it to Tokyo - that's why all the artwork was first revealed at their D23). Basically after that Disney realized they no longer needed to license an outside IP when they suddenly had so many strong ones of their own.

Seems good for everyone no matter your personal feelings on the project. No more Avatar spreading around or no more cloning.

FigmentJedi

But first, Joe Rohde must visit darkest Peru and talk to the indigenous bears to make sure the experience will be authentic.
Why do people complain about research trips for theme park design as being this unnecessary flourish when you see plenty of film production crews doing the same thing?
Disney Feature Animation and Pixar crews have done a lot of travel to inform the design of their films for quite some time, like ever since The Lion King. Only difference is a theme park environment invites a little more scrutiny because people will be going through it and lingering instead of just watching a movie.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Yes, Avatar plans fell off the rails at all other resorts several years back. Basically when Disney realized they no longer needed to license an outside IP when they suddenly had so many strong ones of their own.

Seems good for everyone no matter your personal feelings on the project. No more Avatar spreading around or no more cloning.

Yep. I prefer to think of it as a blessing. Disney has enough IPs to handle now... and I'd really like to see them use their own material (hi, Jungle Book!!) next time they're in the mood for a 5-7 year build out.

rael ramone

so @WDW74, not to swerve to conversation, but ok I will. What's your take on how the political /economic turmoil - presidential impeachment and a recession caused by shocker Government mismanagement - going on in Brazil will affect the large Brazilian tourist contingent. And with attendance already flat at WDW.......

I trust the people who run $PBR far, far more then those who run $DIS...

One could make the argument that the low price of oil and commodities have hurt Latin America more then any other place in the world. So I don't think it's much of a government thing.

It definitely doesn't help $DIS.

GiveMeTheMusic

Yeah I remember the announcement so I find it shocking it may be a WDW exclusive now.

It comes down to no one else wanting it. OLC wasn't interested, which rules out TDR. With Lucasfilm and Marvel onboard, no one at the other resorts sees a compelling need to clone Avatar. That may change down the road if the next 18 Avatar movies Cameron makes are so amazing and successful that no one can help themselves, but barring that, DAK will likely remain the sole home of the blue cat people.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Why do people complain about research trips for theme park design as being this unnecessary flourish when you see plenty of film production crews doing the same thing?
Disney Feature Animation and Pixar crews have done a lot of travel to inform the design of their films for quite some time, like ever since The Lion King. Only difference is a theme park environment invites a little more scrutiny because people will be going through it and lingering instead of just watching a movie.

I don't know if it's the research trips on their own, it's the massive costs that imagineers rack up overall which don't always translate to better attractions than their competitors.

Lee

Adventurer
Yes, Avatar plans fell off the rails at all other resorts several years back. (DLP and they tried to sell it to Tokyo - that's why all the artwork was first revealed at their D23). Basically after that Disney realized they no longer needed to license an outside IP when they suddenly had so many strong ones of their own.

That.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom