A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

BrianLo

Or maybe crowds will be even worse because there is a giant new Star Wars land there with two major attractions?
Either way, SWE does NOT belong at DL. Not at all. There are no legit justifications for it beyond people liking Star Wars and not appreciating DL's history or purpose. None.

Yes crowds will certainly come and that will be its biggest problem. Everything else mostly comes down to whether or not people like Star Wars. The discussion is becoming very tiresome and repetitive.

The facts we do know: The river is decreasing approximately 13%, most of it is actually going to a Fantasmic storage. Guest flow corridors will be better. The Northern rail journey will certainly be more interesting. Most historical and aesthetically pleasing trees have been saved. There will be a massive net gain of trees in fact. All at the behest of an 80s era petting zoo and BBQ (which really was the true destroyer of Walt's park via Journey through Natures Wonderland).

But people will continue crying into their Mickey plush that Walt's park is ruined mostly predicated on their disdain of Star Wars and that it doesn't fit whatever imagined vision they have of what Disneyland is and should be.

There are really no legitimate points either way for or against Star Wars when you come down to it. It's a dead conversation, people have taken their staunch stances and now we will slowly and painfully deal with the aftermath... Because it's happening. Might as well hope for good execution instead of endlessly pouting.

And that's the dirty secret: they are executing it very, very well.

GiveMeTheMusic

Yes crowds will certainly come and that will be its biggest problem. Everything else mostly comes down to whether or not people like Star Wars. The discussion is becoming very tiresome and repetitive.

The facts we do know: The river is decreasing approximately 13%, most of it is actually going to a Fantasmic storage. Guest flow corridors will be better. The Northern rail journey will certainly be more interesting. Most historical and aesthetically pleasing trees have been saved. There will be a massive net gain of trees in fact. All at the behest of an 80s era petting zoo and BBQ (which really was the true destroyer of Walt's park via Journey through Natures Wonderland).

But people will continue crying into their Mickey plush that Walt's park is ruined mostly predicated on their disdain of Star Wars and that it doesn't fit whatever imagined vision they have of what Disneyland is and should be.

There are really no legitimate points either way for or against Star Wars when you come down to it. It's a dead conversation, people have taken their staunch stances and now we will slowly and painfully deal with the aftermath... Because it's happening. Might as well hope for good execution instead of endlessly pouting.

And that's the dirty secret: they are executing it very, very well.

I still maintain it will be an ops nightmare. Can't wait to experience it, but do not want to deal with the insane madness that DLR will be at that point.

BrianLo

The roster is incredibly weak and only looks better than HKDL at opening.

I'm not sure why you are being so cynical and hard on it. I'm not going to sit here and tell everyone it's flawless (it lacks transport and could use a few more C-tickets). The expansion plans are going to be sorely needed with the crowds they are anticipating. I'm excited they are being so aggressive between Everest, Marvel and Alice!

BUT, the SDL opening menu is pretty comparable to a certain park way more than you let on (see below)

TDS

E’s
JTTCOTE
Sindbad
Indy
Storm Rider

D’s
20k Leagues
Raging Spirits

C’s
Aquatopia
Flounder’s Flying Fish Coaster

B’s
Scuttle’s Scooters
Jumpin’ Jelly Fish
Blowfish Balloon Race
The Whirlpool
Carousel

Transport
Disney Sea Electric Railway
Venice Canal Boats
Steamer Line
Big City Vehicles

Other
Fortress Exploration

Shows
Mystic Rhythms
Aladdin
Big Band Beats
Under the Sea

Parades/Outdoor Shows
Porto Paradiso Water Carnival

SDL

E’s
Pirates
Voyage of the Crystal Grotto
TRoN
Roaring Rapids

D’s
SDMT
Soaring
Buzz Astro Blasters
Peter Pan’s Flight

C’s
Winnie the Pooh Adventure

B’s
Hunny Pot Spin
Jet Packs
Dumbo
Fantasia Carousel

Transport
Explorer Canoes

Other
Once Upon a Time Adventure
Alice Maze
Camp Discovery Challenge Trail
Star Wars Launch Bay
Marvel HQ

Shows
Tarzan, Call of the Jungle
Pirates
Frozen
Stitch Encounter

Parades/Outdoor Shows
Storybook Castle Daytime stage show
Mickey’s Storybook Express
Ignite the Dream

TDS only had about 6 semi-major or major opening day (dark ride) attractions. SDL has about 8 (I even purposely left out the Pooh clone!)

Castle Cake Apologist

Mansion always has crap tossed on the side of the Buggies and they just leave it until closing. One time the CM started the show before the doors had closed totally blowing the illusion. You wonder if she even had/has a clue.

Sadly, that now seems to be SOP. Occasionally, you'll get a Cast Member who cares about show quality who will wait until the foyer is full and the doors are closed to start the narration, but most of the time the Ghost Host's intro is half over before all of the guests are even inside. It's ridiculous.

EDIT: I actually just double checked with a friend. Apparently the narration starts automatically now before there's any kind of adequate time to load the foyer. Probably in an effort to move more people through. Either way, it sucks. I believe the change was made with or shortly after the 2007 redo.

Last edited:

peter11435

Sadly, that now seems to be SOP. Occasionally, you'll get a Cast Member who cares about show quality who will wait until the foyer is full and the doors are closed to start the narration, but most of the time the Ghost Host's intro is half over before all of the guests are even inside. It's ridiculous.
The cast members have no control over the narration or the stretch rooms. It all happens automatically.

jt04

SDL was supposed to open in 2015. It is now May 2016. It's safe to say they are a tad behind schedule. We have also only seen POV ride's thru's for a handful of attractions and a video I was watching the other day of people walking around the park showed quite a few attractions and buildings void of patrons meaning they aren't ready yet.

So the backlot tour closed in 2014 and all they have to show for it is dismantling catastrophe canyon and Walt's plane is gone? Streets of America has been closed a month and all they have done is removed some lights? Did I miss anything? They are moving at a snails pace.

They were designing DAK 2.0 and implementing it. Now they have designed DHS 2.0 and are implementing it. In the past couple days we have seen blueprints of all the new necessary infrastructure that had to be approved by state officials. And many photos of cleared areas where the BLT was. There was never any intention to open SWL at WDW before DL. Doesn't matter why that may be as long as it is happening. And clearly it is when some said it may never happen. They should be apologizing to you for deceiving you.

Mike S

They were designing DAK 2.0 and implementing it. Now they have designed DHS 2.0 and are implementing it. In the past couple days we have seen blueprints of all the new necessary infrastructure that had to be approved by state officials. And many photos of cleared areas where the BLT was. There was never any intention to open SWL at WDW before DL. Doesn't matter why that may be as long as it is happening. And clearly it is when some said it may never happen. They should be apologizing to you for deceiving you.
So they couldn't do too much at once, is that what you're saying? What happened to the company that could open a brand new theme park and water park in the same year no problemo? Of course I'm talking about Disney-MGM Studios and Typhoon Lagoon. Wasn't Disneyland Paris being constructed around this time as well? I'm sure it was. History doesn't lie.

CJR

I agree on the rest but I'm sure I heard the Witch's cackle on SDMT over the weekend.
It definitely was when I was there two weeks ago. I think it might depend on your placement of the train, in regards to your ability to hear it or not. It seems the cars in the front are the only ones, because it's done by the third cart or so.

rioriz

I'm not sure why you are being so cynical and hard on it. I'm not going to sit here and tell everyone it's flawless (it lacks transport and could use a few more C-tickets). The expansion plans are going to be sorely needed with the crowds they are anticipating. I'm excited they are being so aggressive between Everest, Marvel and Alice!

BUT, the SDL opening menu is pretty comparable to a certain park way more than you let on (see below)

TDS only had about 6 semi-major or major opening day (dark ride) attractions. SDL has about 8 (I even purposely left out the Pooh clone!)

You wrote pretty much everything I was going to say and saved my time. I have always been skeptical of the Doom and gloom about what this park will be on opening day. I too am wondering where the cynicism has been so strong with this one....I hope it is a raging success as that will only be good for all parks worldwide!

Maybe because it is Igers baby? Yeah I hate what the park did to the other parks worldwide but we cant un do it and have to admit they look to be pulling it all together pretty well.

Nubs70

SDL was supposed to open in 2015. It is now May 2016. It's safe to say they are a tad behind schedule. We have also only seen POV ride's thru's for a handful of attractions and a video I was watching the other day of people walking around the park showed quite a few attractions and buildings void of patrons meaning they aren't ready yet.

So the backlot tour closed in 2014 and all they have to show for it is dismantling catastrophe canyon and Walt's plane is gone? Streets of America has been closed a month and all they have done is removed some lights? Did I miss anything? They are moving at a snails pace.
Seems like the WDW project managers were holding their textbooks upside down when studying the "hockey stick" in business class.

Last edited:

ThemeParkJunkee

Hey @rybarr87 props for the Bene Gesserit litany against fear.

dune.jpg
Totally geeking out on this one and wish I could like it more than once and can I steal it?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Regarding WDW cleanliness issues, I know occasionally people try to start a website or movement for people to take photos of problem areas and post them, but they never seem to gain much traction.

Maybe a twitter hashtag would be better, and we could spread the word to post pics of areas that need to be fixed and show others what problems they need to address

RSoxNo1

If only someone could see that coming back in 2012/2013, Oh wait.
Here's the first one I wrote: http://micechat.com/24073-disney-fastpass-plus/
That was before we knew the price tag.

Here's another one and a quote below it: http://micechat.com/62433-disneys-mymagic-failure/

To recap, in order to avoid a “costly” attraction driven theme park war with Universal, Disney has opted to go with the “less costly” alternative: a bottomless pit of an infrastructure project that to date has cost more money than the initial build of any stateside theme park after inflation.

That was back in the good old days when we only thought it cost $1.5 billion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom