A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

NearTheEars

Aha, so that's what happened. Thanks. :)

Sue-ing is silly territory. There is however a long history of Ford being subjected to shameful name-calling on this forum (admirably never, ever reciprocated), to complete moderating silence, which has been shameful on everybody's part.

I guess the endless provocations worked and he finally lost it. Bullying successful, the dissident voice silenced. Congratulations to all.

Are we talking about the same fellow?
I saw only one post of his over the last 5 or 6 years that wasn’t completely delusional/tin foil hat/outright incorrect and it had to do with the Run Disney race cancellation policy.

He did nothing but constantly spread misinformation.

Edit: I see others have already shared the same thoughts.

MerlinTheGoat

I didn't know Ford got banned. But now that I think about it, I hadn't seen a post from him in a while now. Threatening to sue a forum over a moderation dispute sounds like a mental illness.

There's a way to be critical about Disney without being dishonest and insane. For instance, quite a number of people have expressed the opinion that Disney World is managed in a manner as if it was going out of business tomorrow. Of course it is in no danger of actually going out of business and no one is using that phrasing or meaning it literally. It's just a description of an atmosphere of neglect and poor management that is strangely at odds with a healthy and thriving business.

Ford's pessimistic comments however were more often in the realm of literally saying the company was doomed and going out of business was imminent. Completely and irrationally apocalyptic in nature. That is absolutely absurd even for people like myself who also admittedly have a VERY negative opinion of the current direction and leadership of the company and especially Disney World.

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

I didn't know Ford got banned. But now that I think about it, I hadn't seen a post from him in a while now. Threatening to sue a forum over a moderation dispute sounds like a mental illness.

There's a way to be critical about Disney without being dishonest and insane. For instance, quite a number of people have expressed the opinion that Disney World is managed in a manner as if it was going out of business tomorrow. Of course it is in no danger of actually going out of business and no one is using that phrasing or meaning it literally. It's just a description of an atmosphere of neglect and poor management that is strangely at odds with a healthy and thriving business.

Ford's pessimistic comments however were more often in the realm of literally saying the company was doomed and going out of business was imminent. Completely and irrationally apocalyptic in nature. That is absolutely absurd even for people like myself who also admittedly have a VERY negative opinion of the current direction and leadership of the company and especially Disney World.
I didn’t realize he was gone too. I have to ask, where’s jt04? ;)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Sadly, Ford crossed the line when he threatened to sue Steve. It's beyond my comprehension how any member could even think to do something like that. .

Some members might express controversial views at times, but know enough when to step on the brakes, so they don't get banned. I truly wish that Ford, as a long-time member, had chosen a different path to resolve any issues he may have had with some others.

jakeman

This is very well said.

Thank you for articulating it so well.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just feel the need to bash Pixar Pier and the 'thinking' behind it.

You spend $2 billion starting in 2008 to turn DCA 1.0 into 2.0 and a truly quality park. You largely succeed. And than you decide to dismantle it all just a few years later. Makes a lot of sense. I am sure there are contrived backstories written by 20 and 30-something brats who think they are talented because Tony Baxter sat in the same office chair once.

The stupidity of this astounds me, but it all is part of this desire to turn theme parks (what I grew up on and love) into BRAND/IP/franchise parks (what many fans of the 21st century seem to love).

I'm wiling to bet a haunted Hollywood hotel will always have more staying power than a talking raccoon with a gun.

I wonder how some of the Imagineers who worked on DCA 2.0 feel about DCA 3.0 (which is really what is being celebrated/opened this week, even if it is a whole lot cheaper than the last version).

Synergy has existed back to Walt's day. But this is taken to a whole different level. Disney wants to shill its Pixar brand, in particular its Incrdedibles and Toy Story franchises as they are the big film releases of 2018 and 2019, so every bloggingwhore is talking about new cupcakes and cookies and etc. There's no big picture thinking here ... well, beyond the fact the Bird has already been pulled into a meeting with The Weatherman and Horn to discuss Incredibles 3.

Oh well, I am sure the Tweeter will be full of fun stuff (beyond Ashley's bathing suit shots and singing the Orange Bird song!) in the next week as bloggers breathlessly talk about a new float for an Anaheim parade and two kiddie rides for a park that has no attractions in the swamps.

BTW, do you hear the rumour (which is actually is more than that) that Disney is rethinking all standalone Star Wars films after Solo bombed?

HMF

You spend $2 billion starting in 2008 to turn DCA 1.0 into 2.0 and a truly quality park. You largely succeed. And than you decide to dismantle it all just a few years later. Makes a lot of sense. I am sure there are contrived backstories written by 20 and 30-something brats who think they are talented because Tony Baxter sat in the same office chair once.

The stupidity of this astounds me, but it all is part of this desire to turn theme parks (what I grew up on and love) into BRAND/IP/franchise parks (what many fans of the 21st century seem to love).

I'm wiling to bet a haunted Hollywood hotel will always have more staying power than a talking raccoon with a gun.

I wonder how some of the Imagineers who worked on DCA 2.0 feel about DCA 3.0 (which is really what is being celebrated/opened this week, even if it is a whole lot cheaper than the last version).

Synergy has existed back to Walt's day. But this is taken to a whole different level. Disney wants to shill its Pixar brand, in particular its Incrdedibles and Toy Story franchises as they are the big film releases of 2018 and 2019, so every bloggingwhore is talking about new cupcakes and cookies and etc. There's no big picture thinking here ... well, beyond the fact the Bird has already been pulled into a meeting with The Weatherman and Horn to discuss Incredibles 3.
Yeah, I find it really dis-heartening what's happening at DCA. I even wrote an article on it.
https://wander.media/disney-califor...918.334874010.1528694234-249152731.1508353791

Pixieish

Oh well, I am sure the Tweeter will be full of fun stuff (beyond Ashley's bathing suit shots and singing the Orange Bird song!) in the next week as bloggers breathlessly talk about a new float for an Anaheim parade and two kiddie rides for a park that has no attractions in the swamps.

BTW, do you hear the rumour (which is actually is more than that) that Disney is rethinking all standalone Star Wars films after Solo bombed?

I have seen that...and I think its a mistake, following the prior error of slapping Solo's release in the middle of a whole bunch of other much-anticipated films. With the overlap fandom between SW and Marvel, they were foolish to think Solo would do well released so closely to Infinity Wars. Disney needs to think about its film fans way more - we had Infinity Wars, Deadpool 2, Solo, and Incredibles 2 all released in a clump. I personally don't know anyone who wants to go to the movies that often, and of the 4 films, Solo would fall to the bottom of my list simply because of the anticipation of Infinity and Deadpool and that my kids want to see Incredibles. As a stand-alone, it was too easy to back-burner Solo due to its timing.

Now, had Solo been released at the end of August (when there isn't SW/Marvel/Disney flick saturation), I think they would have seen much better returns. They need to learn how not to compete against themselves when timing releases.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

It's hard to disagree with the DCA assessment. DCA 2.0 didn't fix that park but it was a huge step in the right direction. This does feel like a step backwards from a cohesive theme and Marvel Land will be the full "Frozen Ever After level" disruption.

I will say that building a park that close to Disneyland without a character presence was certainly ill conceived. I'm even ok with Pixar characters anchoring the Fantasyland component here, but let's do away with the ruse that this is about California.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Aha, so that's what happened. Thanks. :)

Sue-ing is silly territory. There is however a long history of Ford being subjected to shameful name-calling on this forum (admirably never, ever reciprocated), to complete moderating silence, which has been shameful on everybody's part.

I guess the endless provocations worked and he finally lost it. Bullying successful, the dissident voice silenced. Congratulations to all.

Very off topic, and likely the last I will say on the subject. But how do you know there was "complete moderating silence".

So much moderating is done behind the scenes via private messaging, warnings, and temporary bans. Just because YOU don't see anything doesn't mean things are not being addressed.

In many cases it is far better to handle things out of the thread.

FigmentJedi

Funny thing about that: They made the Incredicoaster "Under New Management" levels of self aware. Like Violet is very unenthused about how they just put their family name on an old rollercoaster that's been around for years and Edna comments that it's just corporate synergy.

HMF

Funny thing about that: They made the Incredicoaster "Under New Management" levels of self aware. Like Violet is very unenthused about how they just put their family name on an old rollercoaster that's been around for years and Edna comments that it's just corporate synergy.

After the stupid "That's Thematically inconsistent" line in Mission Cashgrab, what else should we expect?

culturenthrills

I hate to say it but Pixar Pier looks horrible. Toy Story Land looks amazing compared to what they did to Paradise Pier. DCA 2.0 was such a giant step forward. This is a step back. All the new additions stick out like a sore thumb. I will withhold final judgement until I go back out there within the next year but just wow it looks bad.

Rodan75

It's hard to disagree with the DCA assessment. DCA 2.0 didn't fix that park but it was a huge step in the right direction. This does feel like a step backwards from a cohesive theme and Marvel Land will be the full "Frozen Ever After level" disruption.

I will say that building a park that close to Disneyland without a character presence was certainly ill conceived. I'm even ok with Pixar characters anchoring the Fantasyland component here, but let's do away with the ruse that this is about California.

I don't even understand why they spent money on this, it feels random and meaningless. DCA must really have poor F&B and merchandise sales to warrant such a pointless change.

seascape

I don't even understand why they spent money on this, it feels random and meaningless. DCA must really have poor F&B and merchandise sales to warrant such a pointless change.
I think if you look at the Incredibles 2 box office numbers it's easy to see why they made the changes.

Rodan75

I think if you look at the Incredibles 2 box office numbers it's easy to see why they made the changes.

good point, but they have plenty of successful movies without attractions. I still think the only real justification is that DCA must be lagging on F&B and Merch sales compared to the other parks and this will definitely improve those sales and margins.

In other commentary, I've always been surprised they never cloned the 'Incredicoaster' at any of the other parks, it feels like that would do well in Orlando.

TiggerDad

Very off topic, and likely the last I will say on the subject. But how do you know there was "complete moderating silence".

So much moderating is done behind the scenes via private messaging, warnings, and temporary bans. Just because YOU don't see anything doesn't mean things are not being addressed.

In many cases it is far better to handle things out of the thread.
Thanks for all that you, and the other Mods, do to keep the forums a valuable place!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom