A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Donaldfan1934

I admit to being a bit torn on the TDS expansion project, but in the end, I favour it ... simply because, as I just told a friend and fellow member of this forum, at the end of the day this is the OLC. Damn near everything they do turns out amazing and they add money for details, they don't constantly chip away at it (like has happened with your beloved Toy Story Kiddieland and Star Wars Franchise Land coming soon to what was TPFKaTD-MGMS). Ultimately, I have faith in the OLC because setting foot in their parks in 2018 still feels like stepping into the MK and EPCOT in the 1980s. In some ways, even better. I'd love for anyone to try and contort themselves into saying any park at WDW that doesn't have animals in the title is actually better than it was at opening or even after 15 years of operation. You can't.
So, if Disney still ran the parks that they own at the level of the OLC, would you be in favor of every addition regardless of how it may or may not clash with the thematic integrity of an indivual park? Also, do the Galaxy's Edge budget cuts mean we should be prepared to be disappointed by it? Even so, I have trouble believing Galaxy's Edge wouldn't make studios an overall better theme park than it was 15 years after it opened, which was around the time it permanently seized operations as a working studio.
Anyone who looks at the amount of destruction of trees and wetlands at WDW for massive hotel/timeshare projects, infrastructure and wider open spaces in the parks and doesn't feel sad, doesn't get what WDW was for its first three decades at all.
While I strongly agree with you on the destruction of trees and wetlands elsewhere in the resort, can we really pitch a fit over what's happening to River Country? That place closed nearly 17 years ago and has been left to rot ever since. It's replacement may not be ideal, but it's certainly better than the corpse of a long dead water park that was only useful for urban explorers to put on YouTube and draw attention to what Disney let become of a sizable piece of valuable real estate.
Speaking of entertainment, remember when DAK and DHS had daily parades and the MK had both day and night parades? And how much less did tickets cost then?
Yes, when you got more bang for less bucks. As much as Animal Kingdom has improved in recent years, the middle of the day feels a bit empty without MJJP. Also, I'll never fully forgive MK management for what they did to SpectroMagic. Nighttime entertainment in that park hasn't been the same ever since.

UpAllNight

Put me in the camp of being confused about Universals direction this past few years. Irregardless, I asked for more Potter and we’re getting 1 (or more?) new ride which I’m very excited about. Something is happening at Jurassic Park too, and hopefully the J World updates to river adventure....again, I’ve wanted updates for this land for years.

More surprised about the lack of urgency to sort the original park out.

Donaldfan1934

Remember before WDW decided to extend Move It Shake It (Originally temporary) as a second daytime parade/show hybrid (I refuse to call that a parade). The only parade guests would usually wait for is the 2/3pm parades that run only once or twice a day? When will WDW finally retire Move It Shake It? Wasn't it supposed to be part of a WDW campaign from 2009? I still hate the fact that the only time you get to see Judy and Nick from Zootopia anywhere at WDW besides the holidays is just for a show/parade hybrid.
I'll never understand why TDO decided to cut Talking Mickey instead of that poor excuse of daytime entertainment.

PizzaPlanet

Not what I was talking about.
Hmm. Well it's possible you were referring to this fellow.
Norway%2067.jpg

Or perhaps you meant this big guy.
ls.jpg

But I'm going to assume you were talking about these little ones. ;)
latest

culturenthrills

Totally disagree there. The AAs that have repetitive limited motion just strike me as incredibly cheap. I'd rather have a projection than an AA waving its hand back and forth (cf. 'fish on a stick' at Mermaid's dark ride).

And FEA has plenty of good AAs. Dinging it for using projections to extend the Elsa scene instead of dropping in limited, cheap AAs is beyond my ability to comprehend by not looking at the attraction as a whole.

However, I find Frozen's AA weird looking. The way their projected faces skin tone don't match up with their skin tone is really distracting and strange. It is really apparent in the final scene. They just don't look right. Olaf is the most impressive AA's in the ride except when his projected eyes screw up but they still keep the ride open.

PizzaPlanet

I admit to being a bit torn on the TDS expansion project, but in the end, I favour it ... simply because, as I just told a friend and fellow member of this forum, at the end of the day this is the OLC. Damn near everything they do turns out amazing and they add money for details, they don't constantly chip away at it (like has happened with your beloved Toy Story Kiddieland and Star Wars Franchise Land coming soon to what was TPFKaTD-MGMS).
So to reiterate this point, you approve of any expansion to a Disney theme park as long as the execution is good?

If the new attractions announced for TDS were instead coming to World Showcase with the excuse that the attractions take place in the "appropriate" countries, there would be an upheaval in the fan community. Throwing Frozen, Tangled, and Peter Pan into TDS and calling it a "magical port" seems just as contrived imo.

Donaldfan1934

Well at least they had to sacrifice the Talking Mickey meet and greet by finally rolling out the new Mickey and Minnie heads.
That is true. And while seeing WDW complete the long overdue full rollout did ease the pain by quite a bit, we should be living in a universe where we have both. Especially since they already made the effort to update talking Mickey to match the new look.

HauntedMansion513

This is a company that was routinely opening major attractions in a year while Disney took 3 years to build a garage. I’d call that resting.
Um, they opened a new attraction this year (albeit, not a good one), have a new nighttime show opening this summer, have a massive new Harry Potter coaster opening next summer along with a new show replacing Terminator. There are also strong rumors that the Jurassic Park may be getting a major addition here soon... oh and again... there's that Third Park thing... They aren't resting, but you do you.

Cesar R M

I just took a peek at the controversial menu. Mostly disappointed that I have to wait until 11 or 11:30 AM for hammer time since they serve thematically incorrect "breakfast" without even a mimosa to be seen.
I never imagined you a man of Mimosas Mr. George. I was always thinking you were more of the shimichanga crowd.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 - good to see you. I’ve enjoyed reading your post awaiting the next season Better Call Saul. Any word on the work being done at WoL over at EPCOT?? I hope more than Food and Wine festivals.

I believe it is largely needed maintenance. @marni1971 probably knows better. ... And again, EPCOT wouldn't have stayed open without being a giant boozefest. ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I’ve noticed that about the podcast also. Many of their facts, rumors or assumptions are incorrect I just shake my head. To me, they are a travel company first and foremost. It must be providing a good life for Pete and John, however, because I know they have hinted at joining Club 33 in WDW when it opens.

Most know that for accurate news and rumors, you come here. The DIS has been more for travel IMO. And the Tom internationalparkless dude, I haven’t figured out yet.

I dunno. But if you are going to talk about things, you really need to know what you are talking about. Or maybe you don't since all of these people are clearly doing very well financially with these brand advocacy sites.

I hate to say this, especially in these parts, but I don't dislike Tommy Boi as much as I once did. He still clearly has a temper of an 11-year-old and worries about being first and not right ... but I find myself agreeing with much of his substantive points, especially regarding TPFKaTD-MGMS.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So to reiterate this point, you approve of any expansion to a Disney theme park as long as the execution is good?

If the new attractions announced for TDS were instead coming to World Showcase with the excuse that the attractions take place in the "appropriate" countries, there would be an upheaval in the fan community. Throwing Frozen, Tangled, and Peter Pan into TDS and calling it a "magical port" seems just as contrived imo.

I am trying to respond in order as time permits as I likely will be here only for the next week or so. But since I saw your post and it was misstating my feelings, I want to respond.

Execution is absolutely a hugely important trait to any addition at a park. But, no, of course I don't approve of any expansion (or, in what you are getting at largely, replacement) that fundamentally doesn't fit.

You are absolutely correct there would be upheaval in the fan community if every nation in World Showcase received an attraction based on a Disney film that was set in the nation. Look, I'd love a 101 Dalmatians ride -- just not in the U.K. ... how about something with Lady and the Tramp (a very under appreciated classic)? Fine, but not next to Via Napoli.

I said that I was torn about these additions to TDS and I am. But at the end of the day, I can accept them. This park was built with Disney (not Marvel, not Star Wars ... ) IP in mind. Arabian Coast has not one, but two Aladdin attractions. Mermaid Lagoon is all about the world of Ariel and her friends. Would I rather they had done something different? Sure. But they don't ask me for advice. ... It absolutely is a bit contrived, but just a bit and to bring these worlds to life via Fantasy Springs will likely work nicely. Is this Disney/OLC adding a Fantasyland to TDS? Absolutely. But it can work. And, yes, I am sure the execution of it will be brilliant. I liked New Fanasyland at the MK better when it was a mosquito attracting empty lagoon with a decades old 'temporary' land behind it. It is completely bad style over substance.

But I admit I have my bias here. Both TDR and WDW make me cry. Just for polar opposite reasons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom