A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Dunston

Snowflake as a term is in reference to the phrase "special little snowflake", it has never been singularly directed at any specific political group. The left and the right both use it to describe people who act like crybaby children who think they're more special and important than everyone else. I've used it against both parties.

Social Justice Warrior is newer more specific at who it targets. It specifically describes the radical progressive leftists who are hyper politically correct to the point of being authoritarian and sometimes even violent. One famous example being the "Hugh Mungus" situation that went viral on youtube, where a feminist accused a man of sexual harassment for making a dad joke about how fat he himself was. SJW's are often snowflakes, but not all snowflakes are SJW's.
flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

LittleBuford

Snowflake as a term is in reference to the phrase "special little snowflake", it has never been singularly directed at any specific political group. The left and the right both use it to describe people who act like crybaby children who think they're more special and important than everyone else. I've used it against both parties.

It's more usually used of those of the left, but I grant you that it is also used of other groups, even if less frequently. The Wikipedia page was enlightening to read.
Social Justice Warrior is newer more specific at who it targets. It specifically describes the radical progressive leftists who are hyper politically correct to the point of being authoritarian and sometimes even violent.

I recommend you read the Wikipedia entry on this term, because you're wrong about both its history and its usage. As I said in my last post, people who like The Last Jedi or who welcome the new auction scene in Pirates have been characterised as being SJWs (or at least having SJW views), including on this very website (use the search function if you don't believe me). Such people are hardly "hyper politically correct to the point of being authoritarian and sometimes even violent."

Absimilliard

We can wait with bated breath to see if Disney can open a dinosaur roller coaster first.

Zelda should be somewhere in there too.

My current armchair imagineering fantasy sees a clone of Raging Spirits at TDS replacing the beyond worn out Primeval Whirl. Retheming Raging Spirits from the current mayan ruins in Tokyo to Excavator with dinosaur bones would be easy and give a reliable 1600 pph roller coaster to the park. It would relieve Everest and give more flexibility for refurbs. Hopefully management at WDW and DAK have the same vision as me...

I don't see Zelda coming until a third gate in Florida. That IP requires space to fully immerse guests in the world and it is not available at either park right now. Mario and Pokemon work better in a compact area.

FigmentJedi

I don't see Zelda coming until a third gate in Florida. That IP requires space to fully immerse guests in the world and it is not available at either park right now. Mario and Pokemon work better in a compact area.
Depends on how you want to approach Zelda. Like you'd be right in terms of a "Breath of the Wild" theme, but something like Ocarina is much more compact.

Dunston

Depends on how you want to approach Zelda. Like you'd be right in terms of a "Breath of the Wild" theme, but something like Ocarina is much more compact.
They're definitely going to go for the Twilight Princess/Ocarina of Time style. I'd wager that the Hyrule track in Mario Kart 8 is a decent indicator of style.

Rodan75

Regardless, I apparently used one incorrectly and completely derailed the argument that Little Susie is going to forego college and shoot heroine into her eyes because she saw daddy crack open a $12 Bud Light at 11:12 a.m.

For the 'official record' I totally agree with your original post, regarding the alcohol at the Lunchbox (where I look forward to getting a cocktail next time I'm there). I was just pointing out why folks react to some terms strongly. I didn't think from the context that you were doing anything besides point out the ridiculousness of someone being upset by alcohol.

Sue_Vongello

No. I don't tend to watch those types of things.

I did recently listen to two podcasts completely. One was the DIS and the other was by Tom InternationalParkless, but Way Kewl Uber Fanboi with $3,000 worth of Disney annual passes.

I will say that Tom's was the better of the two by quite a bit. But I will also say that both of them, more shocking for Pete and crew on the DIS Unplugged, simply were lacking in basic knowledge often. Again, I don't want to go soft on Tommy Boi, but he was talking about DLP a place that he just visited for the first time. You wouldn't expect him to know everything. But The DIS was all about WDW largely, with maybe a bit of DLR thrown in. I can't recall as I literally fell asleep in a thunder storm while listening. Basic facts and knowledge seemed to elude this group of what seemed like five dudes doing a show from Pete's house.

I don't have specifics because, frankly, it bored me to tears listening largely. But if this is what your livelihood is, then get your facts straight. Learn what it is you are ranting about because otherwise you just come off so poorly.

I did watch the above after seeing this post and these people are not totally unbearable. That said, the biggest mistake anyone can make at TDL is eating at the Tomorrowland Terrace, the worst dining locale at the resort. I made that mistake my first visit. Disney Blogger to the Stars, Tom Bricker, didn't listen to me (well, he did, but his goal is to dine at every Disney dining locale on the planet) and found it to be as bad or worse as I said. Don't know why people eat there ...

BTW, way kewl news on TDR expansion. Now, we know exactly why the Frozen/Scandinavian port was pushed back!

Welcome back Spirit. Normally I wouldn’t promote podcasts but lately I keep clamoring for people to listen to “Up Late w/ the Disney Crew” specially their new news format called DCN, on the same “Up Late” feed. I bring it up to you because they do a news segment that pokes a lot of fun at Disney with MANY jokes about how stupid some ideas are and how bad Iger is ... it’s pretty well written and genuinely funny. They share our sensibilities, for sure.

And please keep us posted on where you go next. We really miss you around here.

Donaldfan1934

Certainly hope and expect the rides to be significantly different and the original to remain. The original got a wonderful refurb and upgrade about 18-20 months ago and looks spectacular. ... This is no different than having Little Mermaid, Nemo and Toy Story attractions in multiple parks in FL. ... Tokyo's Frozen attraction will be unique and not a clone of anything. Paris and HK will almost assuredly have the same attraction ... with HK also getting a Frozen version of SDMT.
I'm surprised you have nothing critical to say about Pan going into TDS. Even if the ride is notably different, it'll still feel a bit redundant since there's not much you can do with a Peter Pan ride that PPF doesn't have covered in some way, shape, or form. Yes, you have a point that Disney has done this in the past with franchises like the Little Mermaid and Nemo, but I'd argue those are don't perfect examples of unnecessary redundancy in the parks. Don't get me wrong, OLC is paying for it, so I'm sure whatever they'll do will be great. That being said, I can't help but feel this expansion outside of the previously announced Frozen area is a forced attempt at a second Fantasyland.

Absimilliard

I'm surprised you have nothing critical to say about Pan going into TDS. Even if the ride is notably different, it'll still feel a bit redundant since there's not much you can do with a Peter Pan ride that PPF doesn't have covered in some way, shape, or form. Yes, you have a point that Disney has done this in the past with franchises like the Little Mermaid and Nemo, but I'd argue those are don't perfect examples of unnecessary redundancy in the parks. Don't get me wrong, OLC is paying for it, so I'm sure whatever they'll do will be great. That being said, I can't help but feel this expansion outside of the previously announced Frozen area is a forced attempt at a second Fantasyland.

I am quite happy at the new expansion at TDS for a few reasons:

- a new port/land with four rides, at least two of which will be e-ticket level. Compare to the vast Star Wars Galaxy Edge... with two rides.

- the tie-in using Springs to tie it all together fits in well with the rest of the park.

- it is not replacing something else. This is going on a parking lot and placing the access point between Sinbad and Raging Spirits will drive traffic to Sinbad, preserving it.

I imagine the Neverland area will be quite similar in feel to the Adventureland/Fantasyland corner in DLP. Skull Rock, Captain Hook ship will all come together nicely.

Sue_Vongello

Yeah but look at it this way ... Tokyo over the next 4-5 years are putting in heavily themed lands and major e-tickets for actual DISNEY properties (Beauty and the Beast, Frozen, Tangled, and Pan) ... where as in the states when was the last time a DISNEY property had a land made for it? We get Avatar (no one asked for), Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars. I am not saying those properties or bad, hell I've dreamed of walking through many of the lands in Star Wars (ironically not the land they chose to build but I digress), but still I know I am an old lady but I'd much rather have Disney in Disney parks than anything else, even if its a major update of something we have seen.

Donaldfan1934

(I think any new Frozen attraction is going to be better than Epcot’s, R.I.P. Maelstrom)
While I don't disagree that the ride will be improved at the other resorts since they're not beholden to a previously existing ride system/show building, why the condescending attitude towards FEA. It may be a better fit for MK's Fantasyland than Epcot's Norway Pavilion, but it's still one of the best Disney dark rides out there. In fact, I think it's one of best attractions Disney has built in the US this decade so far. Fight me.

Donaldfan1934

Yeah but look at it this way ... Tokyo over the next 4-5 years are putting in heavily themed lands and major e-tickets for actual DISNEY properties (Beauty and the Beast, Frozen, Tangled, and Pan) ... where as in the states when was the last time a DISNEY property had a land made for it? We get Avatar (no one asked for), Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars. I am not saying those properties or bad, hell I've dreamed of walking through many of the lands in Star Wars (ironically not the land they chose to build but I digress), but still I know I am an old lady but I'd much rather have Disney in Disney parks than anything else, even if its a major update of something we have seen.
The last time Disney IP got their own land was with New Fantasyland about five years back, but Disney's theme park priorities have greatly changed in the years since as evidenced by the IP examples in your response. I also personally tend to align Pixar IP with traditional Disney, although I do understand the disappointment with it since recent integration such as Pixar Pier has been very forced.

For these reasons, TDR deserves credit for sticking to the classic IP's. However, I still think this is just a different version of the IP problem most of the other parks are facing. While TWDC forces non-Disney studio park appropriate IP's like Star Wars into parks where they don't belong, OLC is doing the same with Castle park appropriate IP's that in the case of Peter Pant in particular, already exists in its proper form there. I can see how the severity of it may be lesser due in part to the Disney factor, but not calling them out for it at all is kind of hypocritical.

HauntedMansionFLA

There is so much Classic Disney that has never made it to the parks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom