A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Sue_Vongello

There is so much Classic Disney that has never made it to the parks

You’re absolutely right. I know I pick on Avatar a lot but think about this ... How does Avatar make it to Animal Kingdom before Jungle Book? Or how does Avatar have two rides (eh maybe 1 and a half) before Mickey ever had one or Sleeping Beauty or Aladdin? (The flying carpets spinner shouldn’t count).

Sue_Vongello

The last time Disney IP got their own land was with New Fantasyland about five years back, but Disney's theme park priorities have greatly changed in the years since as evidenced by the IP examples in your response. I also personally tend to align Pixar IP with traditional Disney, although I do understand the disappointment with it since recent integration such as Pixar Pier has been very forced.

For these reasons, TDR deserves credit for sticking to the classic IP's. However, I still think this is just a different version of the IP problem most of the other parks are facing. While TWDC forces non-Disney studio park appropriate IP's like Star Wars into parks where they don't belong, OLC is doing the same with Castle park appropriate IP's that in the case of Peter Pant in particular, already exists in its proper form there. I can see how the severity of it may be lesser due in part to the Disney factor, but not calling them out for it at all is kind of hypocritical.

Yeah but new Fantasyland didn’t add any major e-tickets. I don’t consider the mine train an e-ticket.

But I see your point and I’m with you.

Quinnmac000

So ugh it looks like Disney is going to court for pirating software now....

Is it possible that some of the entertainment industry's biggest blockbusters from the past decade — Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Age of Ultron and Deadpool, among others — could be wiped from this Earth? That might sound an outlandish and alarmist prospect, but one VFX firm is alleging that Hollywood has used "stolen" facial motion-capture technology and is demanding that these motion pictures literally be impounded and destroyed. On Monday, a federal judge gave this plaintiff a green light to go after Disney, Paramount and Fox for vicarious and contributory copyright infringement.

"Here, the Studios are more similarly situated to the swap meet operator and Napster," writes Tigar in his order Monday. "Rearden alleges that DD3 provided services pursuant to contracts that gave each studio 'the unrestricted right to cancel any portion of the Services.' Thus, Rearden alleges that the Studios had the right to prevent DD3 from engaging in the infringing activity because they had the unrestricted right to cancel the use of the MOVA Contour program. Unlike in Amazon.com, where Google only had the right to terminate the Adsense partnership — which would not have stopped direct infringement by third parties — the studios could have ended the direct infringement by cancelling the use of the MOVA Contour program."

The judge also says that Rearden has, at least at this stage, made a plausible showing that the studios received direct financial benefit in exploitation of Rearden's copyright in the Contour program.

The decision represents a blow to the studios, which had warned the judge of consequences. Repeatedly throughout the litigation, for instance, defendants' attorney highlighted how under plaintiff's theories, Microsoft could be deemed the owner of what authors create in Word. The use of technology shouldn't add up to infringement, argued Kelly Klaus of Munger Tolles & Olson.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/t...aims-technology-used-disneys-avengers-1121061

MerlinTheGoat

It's more usually used of those of the left, but I grant you that it is also used of other groups, even if less frequently. The Wikipedia page was enlightening to read.

I recommend you read the Wikipedia entry on this term, because you're wrong about both its history and its usage. As I said in my last post, people who like The Last Jedi or who welcome the new auction scene in Pirates have been characterised as being SJWs (or at least having SJW views), including on this very website (use the search function if you don't believe me). Such people are hardly "hyper politically correct to the point of being authoritarian and sometimes even violent."
I've never personally heard of anyone using SJW to describe anything other than militantly PC radical leftists.

Now it is true that the term SJW is sometimes thrown about too loosely, usually by extreme right wing trolls who use it to describe ALL liberals or whatnot. If you happen to legitimately like Last Jedi and don't take it personally when someone didn't like it, then there's no cause for calling you an SJW over it.

However, the reason Last Jedi became associated with SJWs is because a significant and vocal part of the movie's fanbase developed an extremely insecure and immature defense mechanism for addressing people who didn't like it. That is calling everyone who criticized it (regardless of the reason) sexists, nazis, alt right etc.

Even Rian Johnson and JJ Abrams joined in and encouraged attacking everyone who disliked the new Star Wars movies, calling them all nazis and sexists. The same happened in reaction to the negative response over the Ghostbusters reboot, Paul Feig and others involved with the movie name-calling and slandering anyone who didn't like it. That is a prime example of how actual SJWs behave.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How does Avatar make it to Animal Kingdom before Jungle Book? Or how does Avatar have two rides (eh maybe 1 and a half) before Mickey ever had one or Sleeping Beauty or Aladdin? (The flying carpets spinner shouldn’t count).

Avatar doesn't need to be your bogey man. They put in Bug's Life and Lion King into DAK before Jungle Book. And the Little Mermaid and Nemo got their rides before Mickey or Sleeping Beauty or Aladdin. Don't blame that on Avatar.

Also, what would a Sleeping Beauty ride be other than a boring dark ride book report?

LittleBuford

I've never personally heard of anyone using SJW to describe anything other than militantly PC radical leftists.

Now it is true that the term SJW is sometimes thrown about too loosely, usually by extreme right wing trolls who use it to describe ALL liberals or whatnot.

You seem to be contradicting yourself in the same breath with these two statements. How can you be aware of the "looser" sense if you've never encountered it personally?

Also, your very specific understanding of the term isn't one that I and others share. Look the term up in dictionaries and on Wikipedia. A typical definition from Dictionary.com: "Disparaging. a person who advocates a progressive orthodoxy, often on the Internet, especially involving the treatment of ethnic, racial, gender, or gender-identity minorities." And from Collins: "derogatory term for someone who espouses social justice especially on social media and other digital platforms." Urban Dictionary comes closer to your understanding: "A person who uses the fight for civil rights as an excuse to be rude, condescending, and sometimes violent for the purpose of relieving their frustrations or validating their sense of unwarranted moral superiority."

Princess Leia

While I don't disagree that the ride will be improved at the other resorts since they're not beholden to a previously existing ride system/show building, why the condescending attitude towards FEA. It may be a better fit for MK's Fantasyland than Epcot's Norway Pavilion, but it's still one of the best Disney dark rides out there. In fact, I think it's one of best attractions Disney has built in the US this decade so far. Fight me.
The animatronics are impressive, and I was especially wowed at the first Olaf, but the ride seemed half built. There are at least 2 areas where it just feels empty. The decline is especially noticeable because where Maelstrom had the polar bear and puffins, FEA has nothing (I just woke up, so someone correct me if I’m wrong). Then add Maelstrom’s capacity to a hot property like Frozen, and I think you can see where there’s an issue.

Princess Leia

Avatar doesn't need to be your bogey man. They put in Bug's Life and Lion King into DAK before Jungle Book. And the Little Mermaid and Nemo got their rides before Mickey or Sleeping Beauty or Aladdin. Don't blame that on Avatar.

Also, what would a Sleeping Beauty ride be other than a boring dark ride book report?
Aurora’s Scary Adventures?

That would actually be a pretty great ride for a Villain’s Mini-Land in Fantasyland.

the.dreamfinder

Yeah but look at it this way ... Tokyo over the next 4-5 years are putting in heavily themed lands and major e-tickets for actual DISNEY properties (Beauty and the Beast, Frozen, Tangled, and Pan) ... where as in the states when was the last time a DISNEY property had a land made for it? We get Avatar (no one asked for), Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars. I am not saying those properties or bad, hell I've dreamed of walking through many of the lands in Star Wars (ironically not the land they chose to build but I digress), but still I know I am an old lady but I'd much rather have Disney in Disney parks than anything else, even if its a major update of something we have seen.
When Iger became C.E.O., he talked about how franchises would dictate what gets built in the parks. Output at P&R has been consistent with his mandate. Here OLC are too willingly being good soldiers for the Disney brand, at the cost of compelling THEME parks. Disney has become a Disney branded version of Universal Studios, especially now that the product is being standardized across the world with a generic style dictating the direction. DisneySea will cease to be the world’s finest theme park because it was debased by lazy executives, emboldened by lazy brand obessed fans, who just shoved stuff where it didn’t belong.

It’s one thing to aspire for the American parks to return to the operational standards set by Walt & Roy, Dick Nunis and Cardon Walker, another entirely to return to the creative ambition which created the happiest place on earth and EPCOT Center. You need both.

Sue_Vongello

The difference being those movies are all good AND actually Disney. Avatar is neither. However, I don’t want to go down the Avatar rabbit hole.

The point was there is a distinct difference in Tokyo’s approach compared to the parks in America. Both are using IPs as the driving force behind expansion but Tokyo is focusing on Disney properties that fit in thematically with what they want to do rather than whatever is the hottest IP currently.

And again, I don’t dislike Star Wars or Marvel at all ... it’s just interesting to see a wildly different approach between the two countries.

SweetDuffy101

Opinion
I would have preferred OLC spend the $2.5 billion on land reclamation that would eventually lead to the third gate, with an indoor water park and additional Disney hotels (1000-1500 rooms) built now to justify the capex.
Ummm.... You do know that in Japan you are building something you need to pass the standards to withstand earthquakes and other calamities, And OLC pays Disney royalties and that doesn’t come cheap unlike counter parks.

the.dreamfinder

Ummm.... You do know that in Japan you are building something you need to pass the standards to withstand earthquakes and other calamities, And OLC pays Disney royalties and that doesn’t come cheap unlike counter parks.
We had this discussion in the Tokyo Expansion thread. This project is far more expensive than any peer project done at TDR, including their NFL. Earthquake regulations or compensation for poor landfill cannot explain away why this project costs so much. At that price, you’re getting into “we can afford to do land reclamation” budgets. There could be a day when land reclamation is banned in Tokyo Bay, better to not take chances and put a down payment on your future.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The decline is especially noticeable because where Maelstrom had the polar bear and puffins, FEA has nothing (I just woke up, so someone correct me if I’m wrong).

In FEA, as you're going backwards the first time, you have the projections of Elsa singing Let It Go reflected and refracted through the ice and snow effects.

Princess Leia

In FEA, as you're going backwards the first time, you have the projections of Elsa singing Let It Go reflected and refracted through the ice and snow effects.
So practically nothing.

They could have done more with that scene. Maelstrom may have been in desperate need of an update (with AAs and effects) but the projections just look like Disney didn't know what to do with that space.

I don't want to go round and round with this, but I think that any new Frozen boat ride will probably be better than Epcot's, because they're not trying to put it in an existing ride.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Aurora’s Scary Adventures?

In this scene, baby Aurora is looking around with unfocused sight unaware of an evil fairy cursing her.

In this scene, a spinning wheel is immobily menacing Aurora as she is dewey eyed after meeting the Prince.

In this scene, a frightful prick of a finger.

In this scene, Aurora is excitedly sleeping completely unaware of Philip's adventures battling Maleficent.

In this scene, Aurora is non-consensually kissed.

Scary adventures, indeed!!

;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom