A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

asianway

For the kids. I have been multiple times in smaller doses. Last family one was 2009. Since then we’ve done multiple cruises, uni, and other destinations.

I had felt guilty when the youngest said she didn’t even remember the details of the place anymore.

But spoiler... when asked on the way home if given the choice... cruise or parks... all three of my participants all said cruise.

...and last hour of our trip was spent in stormalong bay.... not the parks
Im pretty sure my WDW trips ceased to be a "vacation" around 1992. Glad your kids have options I didnt.

MerlinTheGoat

I meant it more in the vein of looking to be offended rather than any sort of political leanings.
You're taking people's comments a bit too seriously if you think anyone is actually "offended" by it. You can point and laugh at something for being funny or even lacking in sense without actually being offended by it.

Rodan75

SJW and Snowflake have been created in popular culture almost exclusively to create an 'other', a strawman enemy that can be vanquished by pointing out some logical absurdity.

It has been used as a slur, in the same vein (but without the history and prejudice) of the F and N words. Folks have tried to reclaim the term (similar to the F and N words) but honestly once you use the terms, the arguments will always devolve into political viewpoints, whether or not that was the original intention.

I think, in general, it is just better to not use SJW, Snowflake and other such terms that create a large anonymous group of enemies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
SJW and Snowflake have been created in popular culture almost exclusively to create an 'other', a strawman enemy that can be vanquished by pointing out some logical absurdity.

Straw man would infer it was an artificial creation... intended only to tear down. The terms were coined to describe REAL existing behavior... and generalize it.

The terms are not used to convey favor at all... but it’s not a strawman nor fake boogeyman.

skibum123

I'm sure this has been explained before, but can someone share why the company would artificially inflate wait times for attractions? What's the purpose?

SteamboatJoe

I agree that it's a lot of fuss over nothing. I watched the DIS Unplugged discussion where Pete Werner took issue with the selling of alcohol in TSL, and his objection was more thematic than it was moral. I think it was in the same episode that he bemoaned the visibility of the Tangled tower from Liberty Square, claiming that such cross-thematic interference would never have happened in the past. That made me smile given that Cinderella Castle can also be seen from parts of Liberty Square.

I guess Pete has never walked to the tea cups from the hub either. That lack of transition between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland is more visually jarring in my opinion.

MerlinTheGoat

You are taking the whole thing a bit to seriously if you even felt the need to comment on it in the first place.
I comment on plenty of things I don't take seriously, everyone does. But by all means, please continue your routine axe grinding against WDW1974 and apparently anyone who agrees with something he says.

For the record, I think the topic of how ugly, bland and unappealing Toy Story Land itself is is an infinitely more serious issue than whether they sell alcohol in it.

By the way just FYI, a SJW AKA Social Justice Warrior is used to describe far left wing people who promote radical authoritarian "progressive" views. Often in a very confrontational and spiteful (sometimes even violent) manner rife with double standards. Example being- "I hate racism, homophobia, religious oppression and sexism. Lets fix this by killing all white christian cis hetero men."

Absimilliard

And people say I get around. Are you looking to become a Disney Blogger?

I didn't pay huge amounts of attention to what was selling or not selling when at SDL. I did see many shopping bags. But to see vast amounts of SDL merchandise, including opening day plush and pins and stamp sets, sit for months at 50-80% off at outlet stores in FL tells you that someone (why is everyone looking at Chappie?) misjudged the audience there. No other rational explanation. I think I spent close to $200 on merchandise that would have cost close to a grand in Shanghai. And, even now, even after the bloggers and tweeters and eBay sellers have carted off box loads at all of the stores statewide, they still have stores with over half the merchandise coming from SDL.

Beijing is further behind at this stage than Shanghai was. Woodbury and Company have axed plussed attractions and unique ones for copies and let's not even discuss the utter stupidity of not weatherizing this park correctly. But this is the same guy who was recently given added funds by his Comcast overlords for Orlando and told his team that they were going to sit back a bit and wait to see how all of the Disney development affected the overall tourism sector. Really.

The bit about Universal confirms what I had been suspecting. The leadership hate parks and it is only the strong foundations at each parks and Harry Potter that prevented them from completely jumping the shark. Beside the new Harry Potter coaster, what does Universal in Florida have in store for when WDW start advertising the same kind of experiences that they have been succesfully exploiting? Fast roller coaster? Its coming in the form of TRON in an incredible package. Superheroes? Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.

Nintendo would have been the perfect counter and people are calling for it, but where is construction?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

culturenthrills

Pandora is absolutely doing the job of pulling Guests into the park and keeping them there. DAK is still the gem of WDW parks ... and it's not even close. Lines for the attractions can be crazy, but really die down the last 50-80 minutes of the operating day. ... In March, I saw a 20 minute wait listed for Nav'i River and it was a walk on ... at 8:45 on a 9 p.m. close FoP was listed at 120 minutes. I had never done it stand by before and wanted to see the queue, so got in line. From the time I entered the queue to the time I left the attraction building it was 60 minutes (BTW, Guests are pigs and I saw everything from the bioluminescent stream covered in coins and crap to a cup of urine left on a wall near where you enter the lab to coins be shoved under and over the plastic of the lab exhibits ... people are pigs, but you can't allow it to go on.) The point being that much like FEA at The Corpse of EPCOT showing waits of 70 minutes at 845 when the real wait is 20 minutes, WDW is actively posting false wait times to discourage Guests from entering lines in an effort to clear the parks quicker.

Yep. Last week an hour before a 10:30 close River Journey had a posted 30 minute wait and it was a walk on. We went on FOP 15 minutes before park close with a posted 90 minute wait. Actual wait was around 35 minutes. Yeah, the wait time game they have playing esp before close is really ridiculous.

LittleBuford

By the way just FYI, a SJW AKA Social Justice Warrior is used to describe far left wing people who promote radical authoritarian "progressive" views. Often in a very confrontational and spiteful (sometimes even violent) manner rife with double standards. Example being- "I hate racism, homophobia, religious oppression and sexism. Lets fix this by killing all white christian cis hetero men."

That's not accurate. SJW, like the term snowflake, is also used as a slur against those of us whom some deem too politically correct. I've seen both terms used on these very boards in discussions about The Last Jedi and Pirates of the Caribbean.

jakeman

That's not accurate. SJW, like the term snowflake, is also used as a slur against those of us whom some deem too politically correct. I've seen both terms used on these very boards in discussions about The Last Jedi and Pirates of the Caribbean.
Regardless, I apparently used one incorrectly and completely derailed the argument that Little Susie is going to forego college and shoot heroine into her eyes because she saw daddy crack open a $12 Bud Light at 11:12 a.m.

lazyboy97o

The bit about Universal confirms what I had been suspecting. The leadership hate parks and it is only the strong foundations at each parks and Harry Potter that prevented them from completely jumping the shark. Beside the new Harry Potter coaster, what does Universal in Florida have in store for when WDW start advertising the same kind of experiences that they have been succesfully exploiting? Fast roller coaster? Its coming in the form of TRON in an incredible package. Superheroes? Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.

Nintendo would have been the perfect counter and people are calling for it, but where is construction?
We can wait with bated breath to see if Disney can open a dinosaur roller coaster first.

Zelda should be somewhere in there too.

LittleBuford

Regardless, I apparently used one incorrectly and completely derailed the argument that Little Susie is going to forego college and shoot heroine into her eyes because she saw daddy crack open a $12 Bud Light at 11:12 a.m.

Sorry, that wasn't directed against you. You already explained that you were using the term in a less usual sense. I just wanted to correct someone else's mischaracterisation.

MerlinTheGoat

Snowflake as a term is in reference to the phrase "special little snowflake", it has never been singularly directed at any specific political group. The left and the right both use it to describe people who act like crybaby children who think they're more special and important than everyone else. I've used it against both parties.

Social Justice Warrior is newer more specific at who it targets. It specifically describes the radical progressive leftists who are hyper politically correct to the point of being authoritarian and sometimes even violent. One famous example being the "Hugh Mungus" situation that went viral on youtube, where a feminist accused a man of sexual harassment for making a dad joke about how fat he himself was. SJW's are often snowflakes, but not all snowflakes are SJW's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom