A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

FigmentJedi

I always thought that was based on Verne. :oops:
Well when the Hyperion and Nautilus have been treated by Imagineering and fans as sister vehicles for decades by the unbuilt Patient Zero for Imagineering's obsession with creating shared universes based around Disney's adventure properties and original theme park characters, people are bound to think of them as both being Verne or at least of that era.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I had thought that Comcast had purchased Universal a year before 2009. So, yes they wouldn't have had as much money to completely buy Marvel before the Comcast purchase.

They were on the ropes and why they themselves were bought

You replied to a post that mentioned Marvel going bankrupt by saying "People weren't actually all that interested in 'comic book' stuff, that had been kind of cordoned off as niche and dying." I was pointing out evidence that I think goes against that idea.[

The main focus of MEG in the 90s was on a serious decline and why they were bankrupt back then. They mismanaged their properties and comics were relegated to graphic novels and were not the product every boy grew up with anymore. The point was MEG of the 90s is not the same business Disney was eyeing in 2008. So bringing up the 90s MEG when talking about 2008 is misguided and frankly ignorant.

Maybe there is something to this that I'm not seeing. To me, if person x thinks 1: [Disney spending 4 billion dollars to buy Marvel is an obviously good idea due in large part to the large number of characters that have appeared in print and electronic media created by them that could appear in future movies and tv shows] then it still doesn't seem to make much sense to me for person x to think 2:[it is courageous for Disney to spend 300+ million dollars on one or more movies starring some of the characters from this print and/or electronic media].

Because all characters are not equal.... even if they are under the marvel umbrella. These were still massive investments with no guaranteed return. It's real easy to discount those moves when you have no skin in the game.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's a very interesting thought.

Another one of the blessings of DLP's underinvestment. The park is still as designed, so coherent, its distinct themes not watered down.
The contrast between the lands was deliberate, greatly helped by each land having its own lead designer. The downside is that the different lands feel less part of a single design than the MK (did :cry:).

Also, a tenner says Bob decided today on Marvel Land replacing the western third of WDSP and Lucas/Star Wars Land in DLP between Adventure and Frontierland.

The question is how popular are those franchises in Europe?

The Empress Lilly

The question is how popular are those franchises in Europe?
Star Wars is massive. Marvel is popular, but has little emotional pull.

Franchises feel less like a thing here, I think. Grown-ups don't wear shirts with print of some IP, m&g's aren't overran with visitors, Disney and its stable of properties carry little cultural prestige - I am the derision of my social circle for liking Disney, which I keep secret.

Then again, DLP will have a Marvel hotel (the former New York), so who knows. Americana themes are being replaced by franchises and will likely find an audience, perhaps bigger than DLP's. And then we can amuse ourselves for the next two decades with the question whether the newfound popularity is owing to finally investing properly in an incomplete resort or to an intrinsic superior pull of franchise-driven over classic Disney. :)

Disneyhead'71

Star Wars is massive. Marvel is popular, but has little emotional pull.

Franchises feel less like a thing here, I think. Grown-ups don't wear shirts with print of some IP, m&g's aren't overran with visitors, Disney and its stable of properties carry little cultural prestige - I am the derision of my social circle for liking Disney, which I keep secret.

Then again, DLP will have a Marvel hotel (the former New York), so who knows. Americana themes are being replaced by franchises and will likely find an audience, perhaps bigger than DLP's. And then we can amuse ourselves for the next two decades with the question whether the newfound popularity is owing to finally investing properly in an incomplete resort or to an intrinsic superior pull of franchise-driven over classic Disney. :)
The "Power of IP" is indisputable. The problem with that power is that it is fleeting. Blink and you missed it. I don't think anyone is lamenting the lack of a Twilight Land at this point. There really are very few evergreen franchises. Star Wars and Potter seem to be. Muppets could be, but Disney hasn't locked into their groove yet. There are 2nd teir IPs that, as long as they are properly exploited, remain popular like Indy and Jurassic Whatever. But efforts like Indy 4 and JP2 do significant damage to the brand.

the.dreamfinder

The "Power of IP" is indisputable. The problem with that power is that it is fleeting. Blink and you missed it. I don't think anyone is lamenting the lack of a Twilight Land at this point. There really are very few evergreen franchises. Star Wars and Potter seem to be. Muppets could be, but Disney hasn't locked into their groove yet. There are 2nd teir IPs that, as long as they are properly exploited, remain popular like Indy and Jurassic Whatever. But efforts like Indy 4 and JP2 do significant damage to the brand.
Montiongate Dubai built a Hunger Games land... So a fading IP AND irony.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
I love how at the end of the day, through all of the bickering and differences of opinion on here, 2 things unite over 90% of us here

1) Our opinions of Our good old friend Clickbait
2) Everything Bob Iger (and don't forget Chappie) touches turns to crap.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Quick Hits (Because I Don't Have the Energy for Multiple Quickees right now!):

DPB had some sorta event at DCA involving NASA, WDI and Marvel and ... as usual ... every blogger or Disney Twit in existence was there.

Speaking of bloggers, do they have a secret lair (like the Batcave, only smaller, smellier and way less kewl) where they discuss where they have to be? Like this year we'll all skip the Run Disney event at DLP because we must 'cover' the new HalloweenTime stuff at DCA?

Saw people discussing a massive amount of UNI-FLA projects coming and all I can say is -- much like all the WDW projects -- not so fast. A good third of what is being talked about either won't happen or will but many moons from now.

I hear people are making all sorts of predictions about the UK attraction for EPCOT. Good to see some people are braver than others.

Yes, 'tis true. Bob Iger and Co descended on DLP this week because ... well, because it hasn't been utterly destroyed yet by the IP parade. I've said it before and it deserves repeating, but DLP's financial issues over the years have prevented it from being ripped apart like other beloved parks. Indeed, rip out Buzz Lightyear and the park is still thematically as true as it was on Day 1 except, perhaps, merchandise.

Why was Bob there? Simple. To go over current plans for the resort and get final pitches on some major projects likely to be approved soon. Looks like most will be things we've already known with a greater Marvel presence in WDSP at the forefront. I doubt very much that we'll see Pandora in this park, even if that has been the plan dating to 2011.

Got a laugh out of Disney Blogger to the Stars, @WDWFigment 's, post about staying at CBR now. Amazing that Disney refuses to simply shutter the place until 2019 or offer rooms for $50 a night. Nope. Not their style. People who are staying there now are insane. Oh, also had to laugh at Tom's naivete thinking those rooms would be $300 in 2019. He must have meant Pop Century. CBR will be looking at $400-500 rooms.

Oh, the EPCOT Winter (but not Holiday) Food and Wine Fest will be daily in 2018? Who could have ever seen that one coming?

Turmoil on multiple Star Wars films? No, you don't say.

I just love Jimmy Kimmel. What a great entertainer and a better person.

Back to SW, have heard lots of criticism of Galaxy's Edge from people inside and while I wish I could share, I can't. But one thing that was said to me was something I have been thinking about and that is how "dirty and grimy" the land will be. That might work in a third gate in the swamps. But it certainly will stand out in Anaheim ... in Walt's park.

Another criticism would be how much this project is going out of its way to, unlike WWoHP, not take you into places from the SW universe, but to create a new and related realm. How would Potter have fared if you didn't go to Hogwarts and drink butterbeer in the Three Broomsticks and buy a wand at Ollivander's? Bob Iger wants a world 'based' on 'his' SW universe, but not necessarily taking place in it.

Oh, and as little regard as you might have for Toy Story Land, you might even want to temper that back a bit.

Makes me nostalgic for a simpler era like this ... yeah, I know, no FP, no Anna and Elsa, no timeshares, no ECVs, no Thor and Gamora, no Rey and Chewie etc etc. That's my Disney, not today's. Good thing TDR still exists (for how long?)

How did Dakota get into SDL's Club 33? I did get an invite myself ... weeks after I had visited but still ... (and y'all know how jealous I am of bloggers and Tweeters and the like because my fans tell you this and they know me!)

Don't know why people are insisting Moana is going into Tiki Room in FL. Also, some Brit blogger/personality credited this site with breaking the news that it was flying away and ... and ... then gave credit for the story to that bloke @marni1971?!?!? What do you have to do in 2017 to be properly credited for anything in the fan world?

Next thing you know Brooks Barnes will be ... oh, that already happened.

Lots of Anaheim news ... and no one either knows what is going on or sees fit to write about it.

Finally, apologies to the four of you here that I owe notes to. I just have not had time. Hopefully, this weekend I will.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Finally, it seems like that 3.6 earthquake Monday night was centered under Michael Eisner's home. Hey, God (not that you exist or anything), I think you were a little late. You are looking for Bob and Willow's place!
Can you elaborate any more on the state of grime that SW:GE will have? Like, the place will feel dirty and scummy...or it will literally leave you covered in crap?

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Spirited Quick Hits (Because I Don't Have the Energy for Multiple Quickees right now!):

DPB had some sorta event at DCA involving NASA, WDI and Marvel and ... as usual ... every blogger or Disney Twit in existence was there.

Speaking of bloggers, do they have a secret lair (like the Batcave, only smaller, smellier and way less kewl) where they discuss where they have to be? Like this year we'll all skip the Run Disney event at DLP because we must 'cover' the new HalloweenTime stuff at DCA?

Saw people discussing a massive amount of UNI-FLA projects coming and all I can say is -- much like all the WDW projects -- not so fast. A good third of what is being talked about either won't happen or will but many moons from now.

I hear people are making all sorts of predictions about the UK attraction for EPCOT. Good to see some people are braver than others.

Yes, 'tis true. Bob Iger and Co descended on DLP this week because ... well, because it hasn't been utterly destroyed yet by the IP parade. I've said it before and it deserves repeating, but DLP's financial issues over the years have prevented it from being ripped apart like other beloved parks. Indeed, rip out Buzz Lightyear and the park is still thematically as true as it was on Day 1 except, perhaps, merchandise.

Why was Bob there? Simple. To go over current plans for the resort and get final pitches on some major projects likely to be approved soon. Looks like most will be things we've already known with a greater Marvel presence in WDSP at the forefront. I doubt very much that we'll see Pandora in this park, even if that has been the plan dating to 2011.

Got a laugh out of Disney Blogger to the Stars, @WDWFigment 's, post about staying at CBR now. Amazing that Disney refuses to simply shutter the place until 2019 or offer rooms for $50 a night. Nope. Not their style. People who are staying there now are insane. Oh, also had to laugh at Tom's naivete thinking those rooms would be $300 in 2019. He must have meant Pop Century. CBR will be looking at $400-500 rooms.

Oh, the EPCOT Winter (but not Holiday) Food and Wine Fest will be daily in 2018? Who could have ever seen that one coming?

Turmoil on multiple Star Wars films? No, you don't say.

I just love Jimmy Kimmel. What a great entertainer and a better person.

Back to SW, have heard lots of criticism of Galaxy's Edge from people inside and while I wish I could share, I can't. But one thing that was said to me was something I have been thinking about and that is how "dirty and grimy" the land will be. That might work in a third gate in the swamps. But it certainly will stand out in Anaheim ... in Walt's park.

Another criticism would be how much this project is going out of its way to, unlike WWoHP, not take you into places from the SW universe, but to create a new and related realm. How would Potter have fared if you didn't go to Hogwarts and drink butterbeer in the Three Broomsticks and buy a wand at Ollivander's? Bob Iger wants a world 'based' on 'his' SW universe, but not necessarily taking place in it.

Oh, and as little regard as you might have for Toy Story Land, you might even want to temper that back a bit.

Makes me nostalgic for a simpler era like this ... yeah, I know, no FP, no Anna and Elsa, no timeshares, no ECVs, no Thor and Gamora, no Rey and Chewie etc etc. That's my Disney, not today's. Good thing TDR still exists (for how long?)

How did Dakota get into SDL's Club 33? I did get an invite myself ... weeks after I had visited but still ... (and y'all know how jealous I am of bloggers and Tweeters and the like because my fans tell you this and they know me!)

Don't know why people are insisting Moana is going into Tiki Room in FL. Also, some Brit blogger/personality credited this site with breaking the news that it was flying away and ... and ... then gave credit for the story to that bloke @marni1971?!?!? What do you have to do in 2017 to be properly credited for anything in the fan world?

Next thing you know Brooks Barnes will be ... oh, that already happened.

Lots of Anaheim news ... and no one either knows what is going on or sees fit to write about it.

Finally, apologies to the four of you here that I owe notes to. I just have not had time. Hopefully, this weekend I will.

Also, I wouldn't lose any sleep over something DSNY Newscast says (assuming he's the brit bloke blogger you're referring to). All he does is take other insider news and yell it out to his followers from a couch in his parents house. Has he ever even been to the parks?

Last edited:

Ag11gani

Can you elaborate any more on the state of grime that SW:GE will have? Like, the place will feel dirty and scummy...or it will literally leave you covered in crap?

I'm guessing he means, like AK, it will feel dirty and as if it is badly maintained and everything is falling apart, not acctualy dirty. Although with all the people dropping their trash it probably will.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I'm guessing he means, like AK, it will feel dirty and as if it is badly maintained and everything is falling apart, not acctualy dirty. Although with all the people dropping their trash it probably will.
It is technically going to be a place ravaged by battle...so yeah I definitely don't think they're going for a sleek and polished look.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom