A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not going back and forth on SW, Brian. No offense, but don't have the time or interest. I stated my opinion, backed up by people in the biz. ... I have said many times TFA was largely a mediocre film with lots of fan service, one that wasn't Carrie Fisher (that won't happen again) and was designed for toy sales. Sure, better than prequels but that's like saying losing one limb in a car accident is better than losing three and your eyesight.

JJ being back is a sign of a very rudderless Death Star.

But, but it will have lens flares...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Me and many kids who were growing up in the late 90s and early to mid 2000s would strongly disagree with that. That was our generations Star Wars and I am frankly tired of the Gen Xers whining about how their childhoods were so much more important than mine and the fact that Disney listens to them makes me sick to my stomach. I could go on a tirade about what I think of the "New" designed by committee paint-by-numbers Star Wars films but I won't because I don't want to crap on the next generation the way Gen X did on mine.

Just think the NEXT SW film will be written by an algorithm to maximize its 'audience appeal' and minimize its financial risk.

Once again i'm reminded of Orwell's Versificator.

bclane

Me and many kids who were growing up in the late 90s and early to mid 2000s would strongly disagree with that. That was our generations Star Wars and I am frankly tired of the Gen Xers whining about how their childhoods were so much more important than mine and the fact that Disney listens to them makes me sick to my stomach. I could go on a tirade about what I think of the "New" designed by committee paint-by-numbers Star Wars films but I won't because I don't want to crap on the next generation the way Gen X did on mine.
I understand what you mean. I was born in 69 and was definitely part of the OT generation and have been a Star Wars fan my entire life. But I don't get the hatred for the prequels or for any movie for that matter. They're just movies! Have fun with them or don't like them but why let anything bother you so much? I don't get it! I actually enjoy the prequels quite a bit even though I am definitely not a fan of Jar Jars. Others have pointed out that he comes across as a racist caricature and whether that is true or not, I don't believe at all that that was the intent for the character. I don't like him primarily because his nonsense steals screentime from the absolute coolness of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan so much). Sure, the acting is bad sometimes and some of the dialog is really silly, but there is also pure awesomeness to be found in those movies. Anyway, I always try and look for goodness in everything and try and be positive as much as possible. Sometimes it's harder than other times and I am not always successful...but I try. I think more and more folks from my generation are realizing it's OK to like the prequels and enjoy them for what they are. So at least there's that! :)

Mike S

I don't think he means well and I don't think he seems like a nice guy. His decade long urinating grudge against this site and @wdwmagic in particular would be example No. 1. His putting out (continuously) erroneous information as fact (like Joe Rohde and Tom Fitzgerald being axed by Disney) and not coming back and offering a mea culpa would be another. His putting out half-truths (HKDL is bulldozing its castle ... and Tron is replacing the Speedway) and then claiming he was right all the time is Trumpian in nature. And let's not even get into his public meltdown on Twitter a year or two ago when his then fiancee left him at the altar (or just walked out on him right before the wedding). Some things really should be private.
I can only wonder why she would do such a thing ;)
Don't think of it that way. Think of it as crapping on bad movies. Nothing personal. I'm in your generation and prefer the originals. Guess you'll call me a "generation traitor" or something.

Also, since you're one that doesn't really like the way Disney does things and craps on them for it, you do realize you're doing the same basic thing for "this generations WDW," right?

Nj4mwc

I'm starting to think that I should stop reading that other site based off of what others have said.
I have been reading this site exclusively for a few years now, what I find great is every time my wife sees something on social media about the parks and tells me I always get to say don't you remember I told you about that months ago.

Kman101

Nothing has changed with WDW's plans. Although the exact details haven't been decided as far as I know.

Thanks! You never want to go through one. Let alone a monster like Irma.

Irma was fierce. Glad you're safe Spirit! I live about 20 minutes north of Vero Beach so we got some gusty winds up to about 90 that took down some limbs. Power went out Sunday night at 10:30 (never went out during Matthew, but there is a tree limb on a line near my street, otherwise it would have been back on yesterday) and is still out but generator is kicking, so can't complain. So many have it worse, I can survive a few days without power. Likely will be back on today though. The power guys working in my area are from Illinois. Most should have power according to FPL by Sunday so I applaud how they've been able to have a plan and be prepared for this (at this point, Florida should be more than prepared to deal with a hurricane!). So many whine about mundane things but people lost their homes, are dealing with flooding waters, etc.

I also don't understand the blogger who camped out at a deluxe resort for the hurricane (probably using a castmember friend's discount no doubt, but must be nice to pop for a couple nights at the Wilderness Lodge). Not judging, maybe it was safer for them but it caught my attention, as if they needed to be the first one to capture what happens at WDW when there's a hurricane (oh, look, Country Bears at Wilderness Lodge!). And to those who don't understand talking about the bloggers, well, they put themselves out there, and just like a celebrity, it opens them up to criticism. I see nothing wrong with discussing them. I don't think we need the name calling or things like that. And I've said my .02 on Clickbait Corless. He does come off like an overgrown manchild who whines when he can't get his way or acts superior and indignant when corrected. Guess being a talking piece on the local news goes to your head?

Kman101

I can only wonder why she would do such a thing ;)

Don't think of it that way. Think of it as crapping on bad movies. Nothing personal. I'm in your generation and prefer the originals. Guess you'll call me a "generation traitor" or something.

Also, since you're one that doesn't really like the way Disney does things and craps on them for it, you do realize you're doing the same basic thing for "this generations WDW," right?

I prefer the original films as well. The prequels do nothing for me. They weren't great films so that's why they get made fun of and crapped on. We all have different tastes in movies so I don't get worked up over someone not caring for them. I'd rank Rogue One and Force Awakens above all three for a variety of reasons but others seem to hate these two films. Kind of is what it is.

Agreed on him doing what he's complaining about ... lol

HMF

I consider the first six Star Wars movies to be part of a larger whole. My favorite movie objectively is actually Empire Strikes Back. That being said it was actually Phantom Menace that made me a fan back in 1999. I have no problem with people having constructive opinions on Star Wars. It's just the overwhelming hostility certain fans and Disney's stewardship of the franchise to me feel like personal attacks. Much like what they are doing to Epcot right now.

bclane

I prefer the original films as well. The prequels do nothing for me. They weren't great films so that's why they get made fun of and crapped on. We all have different tastes in movies so I don't get worked up over someone not caring for them. I'd rank Rogue One and Force Awakens above all three for a variety of reasons but others seem to hate these two films. Kind of is what it is.

Agreed on him doing what he's complaining about ... lol
I really like Rogue One as well. Ok, scratch that...I love it. I think someone was cutting onions in the theatre when K-2 died and that last scene with Vader literally took my breath away and I could name many more moments that were so freaking awesome about that movie...I just don't get the hate. Then again I pretty much like all things Star Wars. Any amount of time in that universe is a plus for me. I choose to ignore some of the weaknesses of the newer films and end up sounding like a Star Wars apologist a lot but I'm just so thankful that we get more. The OT will always be my favorite and that is partly I admit because it hit at the perfect time for me as a child. It was so much a part of who I was as a kid and still am as an adult. Plus, it literally changed movies and culture and I don't know that there will ever be anything like it again. How could there be? The OT movies are just fricken awesome. But to me, it's kind of like with Disney in general. While they can create rides like Mystic Manor, FoP (which I absolutely love) and the Shanghai Pirates that blow people away and are technically and creatively mind boggling ...there is just something about the original things that Uncle Walt did that can't be replicated. To me this is to some extent because of how they literally changed the world and unless you where around when these things originally dropped it is very difficult to comprehend why they are the big deal that they are....imho.

floridagirl57

I want to go (I love BGT to begin with ... you'd think it didn't exist on this site) one year, but that isn't likely to be this one.
I'm extremely curious what you like about BGT? I'm not saying its a bad park per say, but I went on a Saturday recently and I was struck by the lack of maintenance and professionalism of the staff. A lot of the park just looked....worn.

FigmentJedi

I consider the first six Star Wars movies to be part of a larger whole. My favorite movie objectively is actually Empire Strikes Back. That being said it was actually Phantom Menace that made me a fan back in 1999. I have no problem with people having constructive opinions on Star Wars. It's just the overwhelming hostility certain fans and Disney's stewardship of the franchise to me feel like personal attacks. Much like what they are doing to Epcot right now.
Empire's popularity is probably one of the biggest things holding the movie side of the franchise back. It's been put up on such a high pedestal that the entire franchise is stuck living under its shadow and anything that isn't like Empire (which is everything produced afterwards pre-buyout) gets immediately savaged as "Not Real Star Wars". Sometimes even ANH gets flack for not being ESB.

The Force Awakens wasn't just a reconfiguration of ANH, but one helmed by ESB fans (and the writer of ESB) that apes ESB about as much as ANH.

asianway

I don't have much time here. Spent much of the day cleaning up from Irma (yeah, we really had a disaster in FL, even if you're reading this while gorging on cheap candy at the MK now!) and have more mosquito bites than most fanbois have worthless pieces of Disney crap.

I saw @lentesta had started a thread and I posted the following there and will put it here in case people aren't reading both:

>>>
lentesta said:
Word on the street is that layoffs in the thousands will be announced for Parks & Resorts in the next few weeks.

That's because the word is accurate. I touched upon Disney's disaster of a summer (overall, not just WDW ... although its summer was quite 'disappointing' according to someone who would know) in my thread this week.

Disney/Iger need to show they are being proactive ahead of the next earnings release and the start of the 2018 fiscal year.

P&R has had issues, mostly domestic as SDL (as I witnessed first hand) is doing great business for a new resort and DLP has shown improved numbers with the 25th Anniversary.

But WDW has just been abysmal. All the upcharges and prices increases and cost cutting mixed in with the desperation discounting has failed to yield the results, Iger, Chappie and Co. had demanded.

And, despite the BS you'll read on Micechat (you almost wonder if their column is being written from inside Cynthia's old office!), DLR has not been able to make up for that. Their Summer of Heros promotion was an utter disaster and despite what Chappie will crow, turning ToT into a GotG monstrosity hasn't moved the needle much, just like Pandora in the swamps.

You add this all together and ... you get lots of cuts to low and mid level management under the guise of cutting fat and duplication and all sorts of corporate buzzwords.

I was actually thinking about you the other day, Len (no, not in the way I think about @derekburgan but ...) as I was thinking about your recent experience at the All Star Music. A friend is planning an October visit and during what should be a week where rooms are scarce (except for a few moderates and the always available SS and OKW) and ALL the values except AoA are available and many at discounts. This is for a week in mid-October. What has become a peak season for WDW. It sure as hell isn't shaping up to be that.

And I wonder how many people working this week during Irma are going to be told they no longer have jobs headed into the holidays not because Disney is a failing business, not because Disney is doing poorly, but simply because the profits are never enough for Wall Street and Iger only cares what they think.>>>
I do not expect the numbers that Paris put up in Q3 to be sustained in Q4. There was some special Disney magic puffing up those figures.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I think we have to concede that any all future SW movies are going to be run through the Disney machine, i.e. heavily slanted towards merch sales and safe and predictable stories. I'm hoping VIII proves me wrong, but just look at how people are scooping up Porgs like there's no tomorrow. What the crud even is a Porg??? People don't know, but they know they need to own one. That's Disney marketing 101.

Magic Feather

For the few here who have asked, no, not intending on doing HHNs this year (unless you want to buy me a ticket for my company!) ... I'm sorta over the whole experience at this point. It has become about people drinking to excess and being belligerent and Millennials spending $500 a night on an event that I used to enjoy for $19.99.
That description is my opinion on so many things, namely EPCOT's festivals of higher earnings.

ToTBellHop

That description is my opinion on so many things, namely EPCOT's festivals of higher earnings.
We loved Food and Wine the first time and honestly found it to be more hassle than it was worth last year. Way too crowded, way too expensive, and only about half of the food was any good. It's no fun spending $75 on "lunch" for two people (multiple kiosks of course) when you spend the bulk of that time waiting in line (and certainly not talking about how good the food is) only to purchase something inedible for $9 (which is somehow a "tasting portion).

At least if I do a party at MK, I know what I'm getting ahead of time and prepay for it. Although even those parties are getting too expensive for the entertainment provided. First time around, we went to two parties (it was cheaper and our kids were still free). Now, it's one-and-done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom