A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

WEDwaydatamover

I feel that the original IASW exterior and Mary Blair load/ unload WERE equally as good if not better than Disneyland's.

I was actually disappointed with Disneyland's version the first time that I rode it in 2001 having been on the MK version countless times.

Now I'm not talking about what you see today with the reversed entrance, cheap facade signage, eeh revision of Mary Blair's art in the boarding area and those crappy pastel plastic boats.

Many people on these forums have no clue how late to the party they were.

Does anyone know if the original mural was completely destroyed or covered over?

I've seen photos and it looks like small areas were cut out during the last major asbestos abatement, but can't tell if it's forever gone.

The images looked like what they did to the Mary Blair mural at Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Mostly still intact but somewhat damaged.

SteamboatJoe

Regarding Small World, I noticed the DL version has a couple sections with scenes on only one side of the boat. Doesn't the WDW version have two sided scenery start to finish? Or am I mis-remembering things?

Bairstow

Regarding Small World, I noticed the DL version has a couple sections with scenes on only one side of the boat. Doesn't the WDW version have two sided scenery start to finish? Or am I mis-remembering things?

That's fairly accurate.
It's also much more obvious in the Disneyland version that your boat is riding in a narrow trough built on top of the floor whereas at the Magic Kingdom the waterway usually fills the entire floor and looks more natural and impressive.

geekza

That's fairly accurate.
It's also much more obvious in the Disneyland version that your boat is riding in a narrow trough built on top of the floor whereas at the Magic Kingdom the waterway usually fills the entire floor and looks more natural and impressive.
I also prefer the MK ride layout with the wide waterway as opposed to the "trough." Disneyland's had to be built fairly quickly for the World's Fair in a space where they couldn't really spend the time or money to build something more elaborate. When the Fair was over, they simply moved what they had to Anaheim. With Disney World, they had the opportunity to "plus" the experience. While I do prefer the DL facade and want to ride the DL version because it's the original, I love the MK version. Always have. It relaxes me and makes me happy.

Princess Leia

Went on MK’s Small World last week, and one of the spinning flying carpet mobiles wasn’t working. I don’t think I would have noticed if it wasn’t for the other mobile spinning with ease

SweetDuffy101

One of the Best versions of Small World out there right now might be In Tokyo and Hongkong versions, Considering Tokyo Did a Major overhaul of the ride and Hongkong Still has one of the best versions regardless of IP Additions to the ride. But its unfortunate that they didn’t add IASW in Shanghai.

The Visionary Soul

One of the Best versions of Small World out there right now might be In Tokyo and Hongkong versions, Considering Tokyo Did a Major overhaul of the ride and Hongkong Still has one of the best versions regardless of IP Additions to the ride. But its unfortunate that they didn’t add IASW in Shanghai.
Really? Hong Kong? It feels like you walk through a creepy tunnel. In all honesty, I think the best version is in Disneyland Paris.

geekza

You know something that just struck me? I don't have access to the dates at my fingertips, but I want to say that the attractions that Disney created for the 1964 World's Fair went from conception to execution within something like a little over a year. Out of those attractions, three are still considered classics and part of the fourth is still a part of the Disneyland Railroad. That really speaks not only to the wealth of creative individuals that Imagineering had at that time, but to the determination of Walt to make the attractions happen under stressful circumstances without sacrificing quality at any point. It was like lightning in a bottle.

JoeCamel

You know something that just struck me? I don't have access to the dates at my fingertips, but I want to say that the attractions that Disney created for the 1964 World's Fair went from conception to execution within something like a little over a year. Out of those attractions, three are still considered classics and part of the fourth is still a part of the Disneyland Railroad. That really speaks not only to the wealth of creative individuals that Imagineering had at that time, but to the determination of Walt to make the attractions happen under stressful circumstances without sacrificing quality at any point. It was like lightning in a bottle.
Well to be fair they had a deadline to meet, here the only line is the bottom line.

JJJ

It's my favorite, too. And it's much longer, like most of the other rides at DLP.
Can confirm, it's definitely better than the one in Florida. I have never really enjoyed it at WDW, but thoroughly enjoyed the one in Paris. I've yet to go to Disneyland, but I'd be really surprised if it came anywhere close to the Paris version.

Bairstow

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom