A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

the.dreamfinder

I think it's a little early to imply the land will be all about upcharges. Certainly there will be specialty merch and food but the same can be said for pandora, carsland, potter etc. Obviously the entire project is designed to drive revenue growth, that's kinda the point.
It’s Disney’s Potter swatter, they want all the $$$ they can get out of it as possible. That’s why they’re ok with a billion dollar budget, they will suck as much money out of guests as possible.

A trip to Westworld ain’t cheap y’all!

Kman101

It’s Disney’s Potter swatter, they want all the $$$ they can get out of it as possible. That’s why they’re ok with a billion dollar budget, they will suck as much money out of guests as possible.

Yep let's praise Universal for a money maker in Potter but let's gripe about Disney wanting to make money on Star Wars. The HORROR! ;) lol

Personally, as huge as Star Wars is, I wouldn't build a park entirely around it, even though you could. What they should have done was have different parks have different destinations, even if they were all their own land ideas and not from the movies. But then some dismiss the land because it isn't one specifically from the movies ... so they aren't going to win with everyone.

I love how some, like Ford, can spin the new land as a problem because it isn't a full park of SW. I mean ... LOL

The_Jobu

As long as I get to piggyback a CM dressed as a tauntaun around the park, I think it's money well spent.

the.dreamfinder

Yep let's praise Universal for a money maker in Potter but let's gripe about Disney wanting to make money on Star Wars. The HORROR! ;) lol

Personally, as huge as Star Wars is, I wouldn't build a park entirely around it, even though you could. What they should have done was have different parks have different destinations, even if they were all their own land ideas and not from the movies. But then some dismiss the land because it isn't one specifically from the movies ... so they aren't going to win with everyone.

I love how some, like Ford, can spin the new land as a problem because it isn't a full park of SW. I mean ... LOL
Sorry, Disney shouldn’t be UNI. Disney’s parks are THEME parks, not IP Multiplexes like UNI’s. Themes are timeless, multiplexes can’t even keep showing a film for more than two months these days. DISNEY should be the best DISNEY it can be.

Last edited:

Kman101

Sorry, Disney shouldn’t be UNI. Disney’s parks are THEME parks, not IP Multiplexes like UNI’s. Themes are timeless, multiplexes can’t even keep showing a film for more than two months these days. DISNEY should be the best DISNEY can be.

Eh. The parks have always had IPs. Now it's a dirty word.

Star Wars has been in Disney parks since the late 80s. It's very much Disney whether some of you like it or not.

I never thought I'd see the day where a well-themed land with two e-tickets would be dismissed because IP is a dirty word.

Last I checked, Star Wars Galaxy Edge was going into the most IP park at Walt Disney World.

I really think some people like to find anything and I mean anything to gripe about. This land shouldn't be one of them.

the.dreamfinder

Eh. The parks have always had IPs. Now it's a dirty word.

Star Wars has been in Disney parks since the late 80s. It's very much Disney whether some of you like it or not.

I never thought I'd see the day where a well-themed land with two e-tickets would be dismissed because IP is a dirty word.
IPs were channeled through THEME. Davy Crockett was channeled through the larger theme story of Frontierland. The Disney fairy tales obviously are channeled through Fantasyland. It’s not “hey, this ride is stale. What popular thing can we drop in here?”.

Kman101

IPs were channeled through THEME. Davy Crockett was channeled through the larger theme story of Frontierland. The Disney fairy tales obviously are channeled through Fantasyland. It’s not “hey this ride is stale. What popular thing can we drop in here?”.

I agree that IPs used right now are usually shoehorned in. I wish they'd be better about that.

Star Wars isn't shoehorned in.

Rteetz

How many opening day attractions still exist at DL compared to USF?
Does that matter for your point? Your point was Disney didn't have IP infused parks until now but that's not true. Walt chose to build Sleeping Beauty castle to promote that movie before the movie even came out. IP has always been a part of the parks. I also think Disney IPs are much more timeless than Universal. Star Wars trumps anything Universal has even Potter.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
What they should have done in Anaheim is a third park with SW, Marvel, and some Pixar that way they have an extra park and they don't have to ruin thematic integrity.

Thematic integrity, show thats old fashioned garbage people wanna see the latest HOT Disney IP...

After that bit of snark I agree with you Heck SWL should have been its own gate. You could do a Marvel Land in DCA

spacemt354

Chili's
I agree that IPs used right now are usually shoehorned in. I wish they'd be better about that.

Star Wars isn't shoehorned in.
To DHS? Kind of. Not as much in Disneyland even though it looks like the size of a tumor on Disneyland from an aerial perspective, the transitions seem to flow much more naturally in Disneyland than they do in DHS in my opinion.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but I'm on the fence about this land...waiting to see it in person. I have a bad feeling about...the way it looks.

The dirty, ominous outpost transitioning from the other more colorful lands that surrounding it, I'm wondering how well it will fit. Almost feels like it 'fits' thematically moreso with the architectural styles of Animal Kingdom. When I envisioned a Star Wars Land, I was picturing something more akin to Naboo or Endor; bright colors, upbeat heroics, foliage, etc. Not to say that it had to be that, just that the seedy underbelly theme is something that is touched on in a few scenes of Star Wars, but it doesn't define Star Wars. That being said, I have full confidence the attractions themselves will blow all of those worries away and hopefully bring us to that childlike magic of being in a galaxy far far away.

the.dreamfinder

Does that matter for your point? Your point was Disney didn't have IP infused parks until now but that's not true. Walt chose to build Sleeping Beauty castle to promote that movie before the movie even came out. IP has always been a part of the parks. I also think Disney IPs are much more timeless than Universal. Star Wars trumps anything Universal has even Potter.
:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Theme has traditionally been the foundation for the Disney theme parks. Parks have thesis’ that inform the park. Lands are based on themes, Fantasyland or Tomorrowland, or theme stories, Frontierland and Liberty Square. Could Disney characters flow through these land? Yes, but they were bigger than any one group of characters.

UNI’s parks aren’t all that much different from the tram tour in Hollywood. They are a rotation of spectacular moments from famous films. There’s no thematic foundation holding them together except “ride the movies” or literature, but that’s basically fallen apart.

This stuff doesn’t seem that important, but it’s the fiber that holds it all together.

Last edited:

Rteetz

:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Theme has traditionally been the foundation for the Disney theme parks. Parks have thesis’ that inform the park. Lands are based on themes, like Fantastland or TL, or theme stories, Frontierland and Liberty Square. Could Disney characters flow through these land? Yes, but they were bigger than any one group of characters.

UNI’s parks aren’t all that much different from the tram tour in Hollywood. They are a rotation of spectacular moments from famous films. There’s no thematic foundation holding them together except “ride the movies” or literature, but that’s basically fallen apart.

This stuff doesn’t seem that important, but it’s the fiber that holds it all together.
I agree with that. I just feel your point before was that Disney hasn't relied on IP until now and that's not true.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
To DHS? Kind of. Not as much in Disneyland even though it looks like the size of a tumor on Disneyland from an aerial perspective, the transitions seem to flow much more naturally in Disneyland than they do in DHS in my opinion.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but I'm on the fence about this land...waiting to see it in person. I have a bad feeling about...the way it looks.

The dirty, ominous outpost transitioning from the other more colorful lands that surrounding it, I'm wondering how well it will fit. Almost feels like it 'fits' thematically moreso with the architectural styles of Animal Kingdom. When I envisioned a Star Wars Land, I was picturing something more akin to Naboo or Endor; bright colors, upbeat heroics, foliage, etc. Not to say that it had to be that, just that the seedy underbelly theme is something that is touched on in a few scenes of Star Wars, but it doesn't define Star Wars. That being said, I have full confidence the attractions themselves will blow all of those worries away and hopefully bring us to that childlike magic of being in a galaxy far far away.

Worry not young padawan learner,in corporate the worst of Star Wars disney will, yet ignore the good Disney will also

the.dreamfinder

I agree with that. I just feel your point before was that Disney hasn't relied on IP until now and that's not true.
Not what I said. There’s a distinction to be made between a theme park, that can contain IPs channeled through theme, and an IP multiplex, where anything goes, provided you own the rights.

Theme parks offer much deeper storytelling and emotional possibilities than an IP multiplex.
This medium is so young and so much hasn’t been done yet, only to be killed by the barbarians.

Kman101

Ok, Your assertion is SWL has not been shoehorned into DL, How does it fit within the areas theme?

It's not replacing rides. Shoehorned in to me is putting Frozen into Malestrom. Putting Nemo in the Seas. Putting Guardians into Energy.

Yes, it's not a good fit for Disneyland. I've said that before. In a sense, yes it's being shoehorned into Disneyland.

I don't believe it is in DHS.

But we all have different opinions, to each their own. In theory using an IP isn't bad but they haven't executed them that well. Avatar and soon to be Star Wars, yes I think they have executed them well.

Rteetz

Not what I said. There’s a distinction to be made between a theme park, that can contain IPs channeled through theme, and an IP multiplex, where anything goes, provided you own the rights.

Theme parks offer much deeper storytelling and emotional possibilities than an IP multiplex.
This medium is so young and so much hasn’t been done yet, only to be killed by the barbarians.
I still feel Disney is using their IPs better than Universal. Look at Jimmy Fallon for example and Fast and Furious. I will take a Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land over that all day long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom