A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

TalkingHead

lazyboy97o

If you consider a giant screen the ride system, then yes, FoP and Soarin are clones. o_O
They are both flying theaters and the concept has been further developed outside of Disney. Flight of Passage may be a jump compared to the Soarin’ system, but it’s less of a jump compared to systems developed by others. It was rather widely assumed that Flight of Passage was using Brogent’s I-Ride system due to its similar configuration.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Deep in the American desert, a test track for Universal’s Donkey Kong ride has been built.
View attachment 240284 View attachment 240285 View attachment 240286
These were posted on and subsequently taken down from Twitter.

This explains the ride system.
https://www.coaster101.com/2017/01/04/boom-coaster-vs-cantilevered-coaster/

Not a coaster fan at all, But from a ride and engineering point of view it's breathtaking, this will bring the Donkey Kong kinetics into the real world I was wondering how the ride was going to do the jumps but this system is absolutely brilliant in how it hides what's coming next from the rider,

I find it fascinating that UNI is taking on the old attributes of Disney while Disney is heading for UNI under Blackstone theme. It seems that all the ex-Imagineers at Universal Creative are making a real impact on UNI's parks.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If buying a ride system results in more attractions on the level of FOP, I’m good with that.

As we have learned over and over...It is less about the ride system and more about what is done with it.

I'd be good with it too if they used the savings to create more attractions, So far Disney has not this is all about value extraction. Build em cheap and don't reinvest the savings.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Why do you feel the need to constantly lie?

WDI has completely shut down their industrial capacity, Outsourced AA production and maintenance to Garner-Holt, All that's left is Joe Rohde, a few so-called Imagineers A metric crapton of Executives, a few illustrators to produce concept art and a metric crapton of project managers and accountants.

WDI is no longer capable of building anything on their own, Everything must be contracted out, That sounds like replacing imagineers with cost accountants to me and it's a far cry from when Disney could build entire attractions from the ride system up in house.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They are both flying theaters and the concept has been further developed outside of Disney. Flight of Passage may be a jump compared to the Soarin’ system, but it’s less of a jump compared to systems developed by others. It was rather widely assumed that Flight of Passage was using Brogent’s I-Ride system due to its similar configuration.

Well... what ride could possibly be made that is truly new and not just characterized as a plussed-up version of a previous ride/technology?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I feel Disney didn't have much of a choice here. Eastern Gateway wasn't happening so they needed a quick plan to add parking before Star Wars opens. The hotel was originally not supposed to go here when first announced. Disneyland of course doesn't have the blessing of size.

Parking expansion was always on the map here... they could have done it without the hotel. This is multiple pieces moving... and agendas pushing..

peter11435

WDI has completely shut down their industrial capacity, Outsourced AA production and maintenance to Garner-Holt, All that's left is Joe Rohde, a few so-called Imagineers A metric crapton of Executives, a few illustrators to produce concept art and a metric crapton of project managers and accountants.

WDI is no longer capable of building anything on their own, Everything must be contracted out, That sounds like replacing imagineers with cost accountants to me and it's a far cry from when Disney could build entire attractions from the ride system up in house.
Literally nothing in your post is factually accurate and your statement regarding Garner Holt has been proven wrong time and time again but yet you continue to misunderstand the agreement and post false information.

Absimilliard

TRON is purchased from Vekoma and Flight of Passage is another flying theater.

Until I rode TRON last week, I was thinking the same: "fancy Motorbike Coaster from Vekoma"... I rode it and Vekoma/Disney reinvented the wheel for it and there is no way the ride could have been done 10 years before.

The first Motorbike Coasters used a mechanically intense hydraulic launch system with cables, catch car and a lot of other components. TRON use a very efficient and effective LSM launch system that is light years above what was used for Rock n Roller Coaster back in 1999.

Next, the Lightcycle themselves: the original Motorbike system was not nice for taller riders as the secondary leg restraints consisted of black pads that rested on riders knees, like on this picture:

heide-park-toverland-132.jpg

The idea was that when you pulled the handles toward you, the back rest would come down on your back. But, if you're tall, your legs get in the way and you can't lock the back rest and can't ride.

On TRON, the leg restraints was replaced by two metal bars that come out of the Cycle and lock your legs in place. You straddle the seat then put your feet in the stirrups. Those move back and once you're settled all the way in, you pull the silver handles. The shiny metal bars (smart, allows the cast members to see them even in the dark station and allows them to check if they are locked in place) come out of the bike and lock at a 90 degrees angle. In the picture below, you can see them on the body of the Lightcycle, under the seat. You will also see that the Lightcycle back restraint shape was improved and is a lot more comfortable.

tron-lightcycles-power-run-shanghai-disneyland-7.jpg

The last major innovation for the Lightcycles are those colored wheels and lights. Those are not "dumb lights" that stay on throughout the ride. They change color, turn on and off and change intensity depending on what is required for the show. Add that to on-board audio and can you imagine the battery requirements for the power required for all that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom