A sequel? Nah, not this one

tirian

Others can answer, but I believe Tokyo's Splash is very similar (if not essentially a clone of) MK's version, as opposed to DL's version. Thus, it would be easy to port any changes between TDL and MK while more difficult to use much of any work from DL in either.

If this is true, it might be a blessing in diguise for MK guests - assuming that Splash "has to" change and Tokyo forces WDI to develop a theme and attraction to their liking, it might result in whatever that ride being developed ending up better than what WDI will design for DL. Surely, OLC isn't going to just accept a value engineering replacement to that popular gem of a ride.

I know this is the wrong thread to get into details about Splash, but I’ll say the relatively small group of pro-change fans might regret the rush job they initiated within the current state of the WDC. Hope the DL faithful enjoy cutbacks, screens, and the cheap projection-face AAs. This could change, but it’s the direction I’m hearing about right now.

I’ve heard two examples:
(1) Think Epcot’s Frozen, which works on the small scale of Maelstrom but would be conspicuously insufficient within the Splash show building. *shrug*
(2) Look at the gut job on the GMR and the vast spaces of flats and projections in MRR *oh no*

Animaniac93-98

I know this is the wrong thread to get into details about Splash, but I’ll say the relatively small group of pro-change fans might regret the rush job they initiated within the current state of the WDC. Hope the DL faithful enjoy cutbacks, screens, and the cheap projection-face AAs. This could change, but it’s the direction I’m hearing about right now.

I’ve heard two examples:
(1) Think Epcot’s Frozen, which works on the small scale of Maelstrom but would be conspicuously insufficient within the Splash show building. *shrug*
(2) Look at the gut job on the GMR and the vast spaces of flats and projections in MRR *oh no*

Sadly whatever they do, good or bad, will be praised because the only bar for success is getting rid of a "racist" ride.

aladdin2007

I’ve heard two examples:

meaning barren, bland, empty..no more full scale theming or sets...look at all the wasted space even in frozen esp on the second level...a screen for a backdrop and two screen projected faces with nothing else around them (but a giant oversize reindeer),,and before it one s snowman spinning around a totally empty sparse scene....and they want to ruin splash with that same type of set up...horrible.

doctornick

That would be horrible. There's already a whole Toy Story Land (despite it being awful) and another Toy Story ride in Tomorrowland. Toy Story should be at the very bottom of the list of IPs to be used for any new attraction of any kind.

While I tend to agree, I would also say that a well done Woody's Roundup setting would potentially fit well into MK's Frontierland. Again, assuming that it would be a clone of any change in Tokyo and OLC insists on a high quality attraction to replace Splash. Honestly, that IP wold probably be the best fit among anything "popular" they could potentially use (someone can feel free to suggest something else that would be better that I'm missing).

bcoachable

I always viewed Song of the South as a way to place Uncle Remus on a glorified pedestal. In spite of all the crap that is slavery, this guy was the “go to” for wise, personified life lessons... just because it’s about a slave, it becomes a racist movie??? I don’t get it- to me, he’s a hero! Why squelch his story?!? Shoot, I am proud of his story!!
wrong thread, I know-
but thanks any way for listening to my Ted Talk

brianstl

Come on, everyone! Let’s gather everyone for Mardi Gras and a gumbo because all our new rides are about gathering everyone for a special event!
Look at the nod Disney Is giving to African American culture in the parks by replacing theming based on genuine African American folklore with IP with a black princess inserted into German folklore. They are so woke.

doctornick

Look at the nod Disney Is giving to African American culture in the parks by replacing theming based on genuine African American folklore with IP with a black princess inserted into German folklore. They are so woke.

That's still the part that gets me. Br'er Rabbit is based on actual African folk tales - having a ride showcasing those stories seems to me a far better representation for African American culture that PatF. Certainly, there should be more/increased diversity in the parks but this seems like a very backwards way to address it.

Edit: It's been mentioned, but putting in a John Henry attraction (perhaps as part of a larger "tall tales" concept) would also be a great way to celebrate African American culture and could certainly work well in Frontierland.

Dizknee_Phreek

For the past few years, I've been guessing that Splash Mountain might eventually get a Woody's Roundup theme. I could see OLC being on board with this change. (Picture from Hong Kong Disneyland's Small World)View attachment 498074
I wouldn't be mad at this. Yes Toy Story has been done to death at WDW (again, not mad at it...TS is my favorite Disney/Pixar film). But wasn't CBJ rumored at one time to be replaced with a Woody's Roundup theme? If I'm recalling that correctly, placing Woody's Roundup in SM would fulfill that while leaving CBJ as is (I'm personally not a big CBJ fan but it's a classic and should stay). And the theming would fit MUCH better in Frontierland than PatF.
Personally I'd love to see them do something all new featuring American tall tale legends such as Pecos Bill, Paul Bunyan, John Henry, etc. But that wouldn't push merch, so that'll never happen.

Brer Oswald

I always viewed Song of the South as a way to place Uncle Remus on a glorified pedestal. In spite of all the crap that is slavery, this guy was the “go to” for wise, personified life lessons... just because it’s about a slave, it becomes a racist movie??? I don’t get it- to me, he’s a hero! Why squelch his story?!? Shoot, I am proud of his story!!
wrong thread, I know-
but thanks any way for listening to my Ted Talk
There should be a thread for that. The controversy behind the film goes deep beyond what’s actually present in the film. A lot of it is rooted in what was cut.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In a thread with a lot of good inside information, let's not make it another argument for why Splash shouldn't be rethemed especially when given the information that it's likely not to be rethemed in WDW at least not with PatF and at least not for many years.

But, if you want to repost your reason for the third or fourth time resting assured the Disney will read your screed and come to their senses, there's a thread for that...

LittleBuford

Supposedly next to Germany. Brazil was supposed to go between Germany and Italy.

I find this almost impossible to believe, not from the perspective of thematic integrity, but because it would be a massive PR disaster. Disney would rightly be accused of extraordinary cultural ignorance and insensitivity if they chose to represent sub-Saharan Africa through a fictional country.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I find this almost impossible to believe, not from the perspective of thematic integrity, but because it would be a massive PR disaster. Disney would rightly be accused of extraordinary cultural ignorance and insensitivity if they chose to represent sub-Saharan Africa through a fictional country.

As opposed to representing Africa with a shack and drums?

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
I can now share exclusive WDI test footage of the new technology in the the updated value engineered Moana water feature.
RiRLsXp.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom