A Second Earthquake - 7.1 in Ridgecrest

George Lucas on a Bench

Ding ding ding...

Comparing Epcot - a completely different concept that cost a BILLION 1980 dollars - to an el cheapo 2000 ride park is way off the reservation to start.

Not in 2019. I realize this is a DL forum on a WDW site, so there will always be this kind of animus, but Epcot is such a lame park these days. I mean, holy crap.

DCA has more pleasant atmosphere, a more varied selection of rides, far less walking across huge open areas of concrete, superior weather, bonus earthquake rides (Keeping it on topic!) and Disneyland right next to it. I'll take the el cheapo 2000 ride park.

StarWarsGirl

Not in 2019. I realize this is a DL forum on a WDW site, so there will always be this kind of animus, but Epcot is such a lame park these days. I mean, holy crap.

DCA has more pleasant atmosphere, a more varied selection of rides, far less walking across huge open areas of concrete, superior weather, bonus earthquake rides (Keeping it on topic!) and Disneyland right next to it. I'll take the el cheapo 2000 ride park.
DCA and Epcot are two entirely different parks. Their similarities are that they were both the second parks to open in their respective complexes, they both have Soarin', and they both have a Food and Wine festival.

Epcot's also the last Disney park to get the TLC that DCA got back in 2012. Not a fair comparison either.

Now for the actual reason for my coming here...

Any further damage reports in DL or elsewhere in SoCal?

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Am I the only one who gets a prompt to subscribe and can't read their articles? What horrid design. Keep in mind that the OCR recently made outrageous claims that Disneyland seemed less crowded because walkways had been widened and guests were going to DCA instead.

TP2000

Original Poster
Am I the only one who gets a prompt to subscribe and can't read their articles? What horrid design. Keep in mind that the OCR recently made outrageous claims that Disneyland seemed less crowded because walkways had been widened and guests were going to DCA instead.

It's not just you, it's everyone. My great uncle was the first Editor in Chief of the (then) Santa Ana Register, and also the first man in Orange County to own a Duesenberg which he often drove to the Register's office. But after its sharp downhill slide the last five years, even I refuse to subscribe to them any more. I also wouldn't buy a Duesenberg.

Instead, there's YouTube where we can watch dumb stuff like this video of lanterns swaying in the Pirates queue. :D

shortstop

It's not just you, it's everyone. My great uncle was the first Editor in Chief of the (then) Santa Ana Register, and also the first man in Orange County to own a Duesenberg which he often drove to the Register's office. But after its sharp downhill slide the last five years, even I refuse to subscribe to them any more. I also wouldn't buy a Duesenberg.

Instead, there's YouTube where we can watch dumb stuff like this video of lanterns swaying in the Pirates queue. :D

The lightsaber at the end was a nice touch.

Figments Friend

TP2000

Original Poster
What is truly wonderful about this is that there was no loss of life from a big 7.1 earthquake, and only a few bruises and scrapes as far as injuries. It helped that it was out in the high dessert, but the town of Ridgecrest has 35,000 residents. The much smaller town of Trona was closer to the epicenter, but again no major injuries and no loss of life. Just lots of broken glass and 60 inch TV's that tipped over (that Home Depot sells tie-down straps for, by the way).

I read today that the town of Ridgecrest is all fairly new construction, most of it from the 1970's onward, and the minimal damage and absolutely zero loss of life is due to California's strict building codes that took effect in the 1930's (after the big Long Beach quake in '33 that my grandmother loved to tell stories about) and got stricter every decade through the 1990's.

In 2017 a similarly sized 7.3 earthquake hit a lightly populated dessert area betwen Iraq and Iran and killed 580 people and injured 7,000 more, with many homes destroyed, all because their foreign building codes are subpar and nowhere near California levels. :(

My home was built in the 1960's, and the things that knocked over in the garage were all my fault because I'd stacked top heavy boxes way too high and all it took was a modest rolling quake to knock them over on Friday night.

That said, as I sit here typing with my nightly cocktail this image from a Ridgecrest liquor store hit a bit too close to home!

earthquake-ridgecrest.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom