A Second Earthquake - 7.1 in Ridgecrest

TP2000

Original Poster
For those not in SoCal, we just had another earthquake. This one was much bigger somewhere far away, you could just tell. And it lasted longer and rolled heavier.

Here a few miles east of Disneyland I had a few books slide off shelves in the den, glasses clink on the bar, and some stuff fall over in the garage with a crash.

I'm sure nearly everything just shut down in Disneyland. We'll update this thread as the evening rolls along (pardon the pun).

Last edited:

TROR

I didn’t feel a dang thing this time. How odd. I think it happened while I was in an elevator.

TP2000

Original Poster
KFI is reporting now that this second quake was a 7.1 up in the same Ridgecrest area. That makes sense as this was noticeably bigger and stronger even at this distance.

Send your thoughts and prayers out to those living in the Mojave Desert, this one could cause some real damage.

TP2000

Original Poster
Already via the App all the rides are closing at Disneyland. What a mess!

But I can't blame them, as again this one was noticeably stronger than yesterday's. For those not from California and maybe unfamiliar with the Richter scale, the Richter is a logarithmic scale so this evening's 7.1 had wave/shaking strength approximately five times stronger than yesterday's 6.4 earthquake. And even if you're bad at math, you could tell! ;)

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Can confirm. Just got evacted from hyperspace. Every ride is shut down as far as I can tell. Feels like normal summer crowding now

Wow! According to the App now all attractions are closed at both parks. Nothing is open.

KFI is reporting that the USGS has determined that yesterday's 6.4 was a foreshock to tonight's 7.1 as it was on the same exact fault, but tonight's earthquake was only a half mile from the surface while yesterday's smaller quake was six miles deep. Which explains why this one was more widely felt and rolled along longer than yesterday.

They expect multiple large aftershocks through the night and into tomorrow. It might be worth it to just call it a night! Or maybe stick around for all the tourist drama?

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Wow! According to the App now all attractions are closed at both parks. Nothing is open.

KFI is reporting that the USGS has determined that yesterday's 6.4 was a foreshock to tonight's 6.9 as it was on the same exact fault, but tonight's earthquake was only 1 kilometer from the surface while yesterday's smaller quake was 6 kilomoters deep. They expect multiple large aftershocks through the night and into tomorrow. It might be worth it to just call it a night! Or maybe stick around for all the tourist drama?
I can confirm TLM is still opened. Longer line than usual since it’s one of the few DCA rides open.

socalifornian

Outside the falcon
8EFF2101-7450-4366-836F-D99B217175E3.jpeg

bclane

KFI is reporting that the USGS has determined that yesterday's 6.4 was a foreshock to tonight's 7.1 as it was on the same exact fault, but tonight's earthquake was only 1 kilometer from the surface while yesterday's smaller quake was 6 kilomoters deep. They expect multiple large aftershocks through the night and into tomorrow. It might be worth it to just call it a night! Or maybe stick around for all the tourist drama?
It’s a good thing the 6.4 quake happened then I guess...to relieve some of the pressure before today’s bigger one. We were there for the San Francisco quake in 1989 (had some friends on the bridge moments before the top section collapsed) and then we went through the 8.1 shaker that hit Guam back in 1993 (which I guess was later revised down to a 7.8). The aftershocks were pretty much continuous for that one for days and days afterwards. That was a very scary and stressful time for us so I really feel for you guys over there right now. Stay safe!

TP2000

Original Poster
While we all hope and pray that any future quakes for the next few weeks are increasingly less powerful, I think it would be wise to review your plans and your items in your homes should a stronger earthquake happen. Always be prepared! Best wishes to all those in southern Cal!

Good idea. Tonight I learned that you shouldn't stack top heavy boxes of books and LP's more than four high in your garage. :mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom