A question for resort guests

rosebud's mom

I'm beginning to make a rough plan for what we're doing on which day for our trip in December. We're driving down, so will of course have our car.

I was curious..... of those of you who have cars while staying in the resorts -

do you avoid the busses and drive yourself ? The unofficial tour guides seem to reccommend this, especially when going to different resorts for meals. Is there separate parking areas for resort guests at the parks, or are you in the general lots just without paying the fee ?

thanks for your help !

In a website I saw that their is transportation from GF to DTD on the ferryboat...and on another website it says theirs no direction transportation from GF to DTD...What's the deal? We are going in December, we already bought the Cirque Du Soleil tickets. We are planning to go to Narcoosees at around 5, and later go straight to DTD...I was thinking of using the ferryboat but I am confused whether it takes you to DTD...Does anyone know? I would REALLY appreciate it!

Upvote 0

Kadee

PirateJessica20 said:
In a website I saw that their is transportation from GF to DTD on the ferryboat...and on another website it says theirs no direction transportation from GF to DTD...What's the deal? We are going in December, we already bought the Cirque Du Soleil tickets. We are planning to go to Narcoosees at around 5, and later go straight to DTD...I was thinking of using the ferryboat but I am confused whether it takes you to DTD...Does anyone know? I would REALLY appreciate it!
I may be wrong, but I don't think there is a ferry from GF to DTD. There is, however a water taxi/boat from POR to DTD. There will certainly be a bus that goes to DTD from GF and every other resort. So you will have a way over there.

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

We drive every year and stay at either a Moderate or a Deluxe, and thus always have a car. We rely on Disney Transport for all theme parks and water parks.

We drive our car to BoardWalk and any restaurants that are at Resorts.

But busses to and form theme parks are super efficient, as are all other forms of Disney Transport. They are super people, and quite speedy.

Upvote 0

PixyDust

The ONLY time we touch our car while at WDW

is if we have to run to Goodings.

Take the "public transportation". The CMs are full of entertaining info, they drop you off right at the park and take you back to a stop really close to your room, sure you might have to wait a little bit to catch a bus/boat/monorail but its better than having to get into your hot car!

One exception to this is when I go to Periwigs to get my hair colored (which I do each trip - they do an amazing job). It just takes too long to get from one resort to another at 9 in the morning.

Upvote 0

CelticGal

I've been there both with and without a car. The buses are good for going from your resort to one of the parks and back; but it's nice to have a car to go to different resorts or off property (groceries, etc.).

Upvote 0

darbiemc

we drive down and stay at my favorite Contempary and never move our car until we leave. we go back to it about everyday and put our things we have bought that day in it so we dont have alot to pack the day we leave

Upvote 0

madalex

We use own car for two things: (a) resort to resort transportation, since there are no direct buses for such thing; and (b) when staying at the Yacht Club, to go to Animal Kingdom (that bus ride just seems to take so long, that I prefer to drive myslef).

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Kadee said:
I may be wrong, but I don't think there is a ferry from GF to DTD. There is, however a water taxi/boat from POR to DTD. There will certainly be a bus that goes to DTD from GF and every other resort. So you will have a way over there.
Kadee you are absolutely correct. There is not a ferry or boat of any type from the GF to DTD. There are busses though and those run until roughly 2 am because of Pleasure Island. It may be 2:30am but they do run until close of Pleasure Island which is at two. Belle

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
PirateJessica20 said:

Jessica,
You received some bad information. GF is NOT connected to DTD by waterway. You will need to take a bus. Check with the concierge at the hotel and they will help you with timing. Narcoosees and Cirque, sounds like a nice evening, but a tight schedule.

Upvote 0

swimmom

I love to let Disney do the driving for me. I'm on vacation and part of that is not to have the hassles of driving/parking that I encounter everyday. We just try to never be in a rush to get anywhere. We allow plenty of time so that we don't get upset if we have a longer than usual wait for transportation.

Upvote 0

saltmom1

Transportation from Fantasmic

The park isn't actually closed during Fantasmic because the show is going on. We asked a CM recently and she said MGM will run buses every 20 minutes to the resorts until the park is empty. But be advised. They CRAM you in like sardines to get as many people out at a time as possible.

Upvote 0

diverdown2000

We go every 3 months for 4 days and drive from Jax., We stay at Ft. Wilderness and take the boat over to the MK and then the rest of the days we take our vehicle to the other parks, Downtown Disney or to eat meet friends at other resorts for dinner...

The last day we pack up the camper and hit Epcot and leave our dog at the Kennel there...We try not to take the vehicle, but sometimes the busses at the campgrounds can get a bit long...

Upvote 0

imamouse

We also drive down then ignore our car until time to depart, for the most part. We always take a day off mid-week and usually drive to other resorts or DTD, but we've also taken the bus to DTD and resort hopped via the monorail. After a long day in the parks, I am delighted to leave the driving to the wonderful and sometimes entertaining bus drivers. Plus, we have met some great people chatting at the bus stops.

Upvote 0

wdwdave09

Driving @ WDW

We always drive to WDW from VA (I can't justify an additional $800 for our already expensive trip!) but almost NEVER drive once we check into the resort. In my experience it just doesn't make sense to drive when WDW transportation picks you up at the hotel and drops you off right in front of the park. Yes, the buses sometimes (not always) make extra stops at other resorts and this does add time but:

1) you don't have to move your car from the resort lot and then find a spot to park when you return - some parking lots are quite a walk from the resort (Polynesian, Boardwalk, etc.)

2) you don't need to figure out how to get to your destination and then find parking

3) at the end of a long day, you don't have to find your car and then reverse #2

4) I find it relaxing at the end of a day to take the boat or monorail out of the parks to a resort served by one of these transportation systems. The boats to WL and Ft. Wilderness are especially nice in the evening with a nice breeze blowing and the resorts all lit up

I can see possibly driving to mini-golf or golf courses as it would be easier to transport clubs. But in general, unless you are going to be out REALLY late, the buses run long enough for most circumstances.

Try the buses a few times and if you are unhappy, then drive your own vehicle. And remember to have fun!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom