A plywood door with a padlock in PotC queue??

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Empress Lilly

Yes - this. They don't even need to do much to disguise the door, just paint it in a color CLOSE to the color of the walls (like the rest of the screens/walls are) instead of keeping it white. If they painted it grey, the bright blue lock wouldn't even stand out that much.
I think they may even have tried to paint the door in a matching colour to the area. It just didn't work out that well. You know how it is, you go to your local paint shop, and you have to look at these exampkes that are like one inch in area. Then when you get home and put the paint on your wall, it turns out entirely different. Much brighter, or darker, than you thought.
Then there's a padlock, and a modern door . The whole thing just sticks out like a sore thumb.

The grey scrims to the right though totally work, very inobtrusive.

The Empress Lilly

What I'm hoping for is for Disney to build Monsters Inc Door Coaster in DHS, featuring this door with a hidden MissM on it somewhere.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Forget painting the door - how about a simple black curtain - how hard is that?

It's hysterical people have defenses like 'well there are walls up all over'. Ehh.. that's exactly the point, the walls and scrims serve several both as a safe boundary, but also to keep the visual clutter off stage. To keep the 'real world' construction out of the line of sight to minimize the distraction to the show.

Here, that principle has been completely ignored and all we have is a practical boundary to keep people out. It's reeks of something an outside contractor would do with no oversight from the company on how they operate. What's worse is, if they do have oversight, and it's let to stay this way.

Next we'll have the construction walls replaced with simple segment chainlink fences.. and people will be arguing that the fences give them a better view!

The product is being slowly washed away right in front of people's noses and they don't even realize the slide.

The Empress Lilly

Forget painting the door - how about a simple black curtain - how hard is that?
I was thinking about a black curtain too.

But then I realised within a day the curtain would get ripped off, set ablaze, or get stolen.

Can't have anything that's not secured like fort Knox within arm's lenght of today's guests - they have declined by degrees too!

MattC

I was thinking about a black curtain too.

But then I realised within a day the curtain would get ripped off, set ablaze, and stolen.

Can't have anything that's not secured like fort Knox within arm's lenght of today's guests - they have declined by degrees too!

Wait. If it's not nailed down then that means they want you to take it. Right?

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's pretty bad, but it's still not as bad as the giant crane behind the castle in my opinion.

There is somethings that just are not practical (hiding a massive crane while it works).. But the excuse that they didn't hide a 100ft crane really doesn't justify maintaining the show INSIDE an attraction when it's something so easily obfuscated.

rsoxguy

While I am more than willing to accept the fact that some within our little internet playgroup are going to react negatively to this flagrant disregard for showmanship, while others will take a more tolerant attitude toward the construction process that Disney feels is adequate, I do not understand why some have chosen to speak ill of the OP. She saw something, she documented it, and she shared it with the rest of the class. I do not know this woman personally, nor do I plan on ever meeting her in this life; but I do not understand the vitriolic reaction that a few of our group have displayed toward Miss M. A little civility can go a long way. Thanks to Miss M for reporting something from the World that bears relevance to the fan community.

Clever Name

Okay, that looks like merde (pardon my French). It makes the POTC queue look like cheap carnival trash! What the helvede??? (Pardon my Danish). There, see that? That picture is making me resort to using languages I'm not even remotely familiar with! :0
Let me guess. English?

John

Ok....done. I have read every single post in this thread. Obviously there is two sides to this debate....as always it slides into a discussion over those who appreciate "show" and what and how Disney has defined ITSELF. Then there are those who think that something like this shouldnt bother us. That its "just a door" tempoaray....will be down in no time....That in the grand scheme of things its no big deal....That somehow we should be ashamed that we even care about such things....that we need to "re-exmine our lives".

Well I do care about such things....you may not....some equated it with the holabaloo over the blank napkins...I couldnt agree more. It is the same thing. I am not going to say...."you just dont get it"....you just dont care to get it....I do. There is a standard that has been set for what constitutes "show"....not by the guest but by Disney. Some people choose to hold them by the standards that THEY have set.

No one here can dispute the fact that this looks terrible. It looks like the same construction door you see at your local mall on the front of a closed store front. It isnt something we are used to seeing in WDW. Thats the reason the OP posted it to begin with. Disney has created their very own venacular when it comes to stuff like this...."on stage" "cast members" "back stage" the guest didnt create this way of doing buisness. They have set the standard.....those of you who say...."its no big deal" are letting Disney lower their standards.....its ok....just atleast admit that in your response. Just as it is ok if I and others choose to hold them to their own standard that they have set. Overall we want Disney to be the best they can be....DO any of you actually think that this is the case with this door?

People said the door isnt no big deal....people say plain napkins are no big deal....people say that cutting the monorail service is no big deal.....people say that cutting EMH is no big deal......explain to me when it is going to be a big deal? Please, if I read one person say....then why go....why spend your money when you are so unhappy....I will explode.....

Wesleyjohn

I don't understand what all of the fuss is about. The door in the Haunted Mansion is much worse. o_O

hauntedmansiondoor.jpg

Freakin hilarious.

Wesleyjohn

Ok....done. I have read every single post in this thread. Obviously there is two sides to this debate....as always it slides into a discussion over those who appreciate "show" and what and how Disney has defined ITSELF. Then there are those who think that something like this shouldnt bother us. That its "just a door" tempoaray....will be down in no time....That in the grand scheme of things its no big deal....That somehow we should be ashamed that we even care about such things....that we need to "re-exmine our lives".

Well I do care about such things....you may not....some equated it with the holabaloo over the blank napkins...I couldnt agree more. It is the same thing. I am not going to say...."you just dont get it"....you just dont care to get it....I do. There is a standard that has been set for what constitutes "show"....not by the guest but by Disney. Some people choose to hold them by the standards that THEY have set.

No one here can dispute the fact that this looks terrible. It looks like the same construction door you see at your local mall on the front of a closed store front. It isnt something we are used to seeing in WDW. Thats the reason the OP posted it to begin with. Disney has created their very own venacular when it comes to stuff like this...."on stage" "cast members" "back stage" the guest didnt create this way of doing buisness. They have set the standard.....those of you who say...."its no big deal" are letting Disney lower their standards.....its ok....just atleast admit that in your response. Just as it is ok if I and others choose to hold them to their own standard that they have set. Overall we want Disney to be the best they can be....DO any of you actually think that this is the case with this door?

People said the door isnt no big deal....people say plain napkins are no big deal....people say that cutting the monorail service is no big deal.....people say that cutting EMH is no big deal......explain to me when it is going to be a big deal? Please, if I read one person say....then why go....why spend your money when you are so unhappy....I will explode.....

You state that we are "letting" Disney lower there standards. By the looks of the door, it appears they already are lowering them. It'll be a big deal when Disney begins to lose or make less money. Some things just aren't going to change this is one of them IMO. Now you wanna talk about the yeti, or something with more substance, that's something to get upset about. That IMO is blatant bull. Although this does look crummy, you and I aren't the people that are going to change it.

Captain Chaos

Just cover it... It has to be there for construction reasons, that's fine... Just hide it somehow... A black curtain, suggested before, would be fine... Especially since this is temporary...

Clever Name

You state that we are "letting" Disney lower there standards. By the looks of the door, it appears they already are lowering them. It'll be a big deal when Disney begins to lose or make less money. Some things just aren't going to change this is one of them IMO. Now you wanna talk about the yeti, or something with more substance, that's something to get upset about. That IMO is blatant bull. Although this does look crummy, you and I aren't the people that are going to change it.
Nor will anything we have to say change the status of the Yeti either. Yet I'm sure there is a petition or two floating around that will be sent to Disney in an attempt to tell them how to conduct their business.

John

The Yeti problem goes without saying....thats a MAJOR issue, I agree Disney has already started the slippery slide downward. My reference to "letting" is that some people dismiss the fact that things like this are a problem.
That it shouldnt be a big deal....I think that all the things I mentioned are a big deal. Added up....to me they are just as big as the Yeti. Nope you and I do not have the ability to change it.....but that dosnt mean I cant or will not voice my displeasure about such things.

BryceM

However, many people also bring up real and true points that TDO should pay attention to because there really is some work that needs to be done such as non-working animatronics, Epcot pavilions becoming more and more dilapidated, DHS needing a major expansion and refurbishment, Animal Kingdom not offering much, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom