A plywood door with a padlock in PotC queue??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castle Cake Apologist

Well, here's something interesting. Earlier there was some grumbling that Disney has become lazy about hiding show buildings by painting them green and planting trees in front of them (talking specifically about Dumbo, an attraction that hasn't even been open for six months). I argued back that Disney has been doing that since day one and that once the trees and vegetation grew in, things would probably be fine. I was offered a rebuttal that SPECIFICALLY mentioned the Haunted Mansion and said that until recent changes were made, you couldn't see the show building. I give you a photo of the Haunted Mansion taken in 1972 (the "glory days"):

HauntedMansionWDW19723.jpg

Hm. It honestly appears to me that WDI put more effort into concealing Dumbo.

This comes courtesy of Passport2Dreams, one of my absolute FAVORITE blogs. The post itself goes on to document several other areas where show buildings have been quite visible for as long as the park has been open. It also shows areas that have been left completely unthemed from day one. I recommend that those with such a distorted rose-colored view of the olden days of WDW give it a read. Things have always been the way they are now, you just didn't have websites like this to document every little thing.

Take a look:
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2012/08/go-away-green.html

Edit: For many decades (including when Walt was alive, at Disneyland), lots and lots and lots of unthemed show buildings were VERY visible from the Skyway. It's also mentioned in the blog post that there are areas of Disneyland where show buildings were visible and other areas were left unthemed during Walt's time. I guess somebody forgot to tell Walt how Walt would have done things.

EpcotFanForever

Well, here's something interesting. Earlier there was some grumbling that Disney has become lazy about hiding show buildings by painting them green and planting trees in front of them (talking specifically about Dumbo, an attraction that hasn't even been open for six months). I argued back that Disney has been doing that since day one and that once the trees and vegetation grew in, things would probably be fine. I was offered a rebuttal that SPECIFICALLY mentioned the Haunted Mansion and said that until recent changes were made, you couldn't see the show building. I give you a photo of the Haunted Mansion taken in 1972 (the "glory days"):

HauntedMansionWDW19723.jpg

Hm. It honestly appears to me that WDI put more effort into concealing Dumbo.

This comes courtesy of Passport2Dreams, one of my absolute FAVORITE blogs. The post itself goes on to document several other areas where show buildings have been quite visible for as long as the park has been open. It also shows areas that have been left completely unthemed from day one. I recommend that those with such a distorted rose-colored view of the olden days of WDW give it a read. Things have always been the way they are now, you just didn't have websites like this to document every little thing.

Take a look:
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2012/08/go-away-green.html

Edit: For many decades (including when Walt was alive, at Disneyland), lots and lots and lots of unthemed show buildings were VERY visible from the Skyway. It's also mentioned in the blog post that there are areas of Disneyland where show buildings were visible and other areas were left unthemed during Walt's time. I guess somebody forgot to tell Walt how Walt would have done things.

Bravo!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I know there are a lot of bell ends on this board but even window lickers know theres a difference between a door inside an attraction q and a whole building. As I said the corporate loyalty is strong in those ones. Perhaps when their baws drop theyll understand.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Eyesores in active construction areas should be non-issues. We went through this with Winnie the Pooh 2 years ago, calm down everyone.

Unavoidable eyesores should be non-issues. Things like this, where it is just laziness, that is an issue.

SosoDude

No one is fussing about any upgrade being done to the que line. The other posters are fussing about the lack of effort to conceal/hide/theme/paint the temporary door. Disney themes EVERYTHING. They are known for it. Its what they do. They put huge scrims up that actually look like the buildings they are working on, just because it will enhance the expierence of their guest. They paint lots of things green to hide them from view. I have books at home published by Disney that explain how they go to great length to do all the things previously mentioned. They set the standard for such things.

I think the other posters are just lamenting the fact that Disney could have at least put some grey paint on the flippin' door.

Doesn't matter to me. I'm not there right now. Just wanted to help explain why some see this as a bad thing.

EOD K9

One day Disney will add a beige scrim to the beige door while they attempt to paint it to look like rocks. Then we'll see this sign:
Please pardon our dust while we enhance this door for your future enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom