A plywood door with a padlock in PotC queue??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wesleyjohn

Couple other quick things, I look at the pick and I see, what appears to be durarock in the background. So, more construction.
I guess I'm the guy that looks at this and says "Nice, they're making improvements" not " Ugh, this tan door and gray sheetrook make this day, ride, trip, whatever really crappy"
I do like the insight and points that alot of people bring up here, and I feel I'm going to be a Disney lover for years to come. I just don't want to get to the point where, this one door, makes or breaks something in 30 years. I hope that at every point of my trips in life that I look at the whole trip and the fun my family has each time rather then a few upgrades here and there.

Disney has the bar set high and I get the point of the OP. I've just come the realization that nothing of this world is perfect, so why expect it to be as such.
I'm rambling now sorry

Castle Cake Apologist

Walt allowed the Matterhorn to be an empty shell full of plywood and "bad show" for decades. In fact, it still looked that way the day he died. I absolutely HATE when people try to say what Walt would and would not have allowed. You have no idea and literally no way to know.

What exactly do you think construction at Disneyland looked like when Walt was around? I bet there were all kinds of ugly unthemed doors and walls all over the place. Pretty sure there weren't any printed scrims back in the 50's and 60's.

I'd rather they spend the money on the project itself, not on the temporary construction door that will be there for maybe a couple of months.

EpcotFanForever

Disney is a corporation that is free to do as they please. I've never read about "good show" or "bad show" in their annual report.

I can easily get over "the horrors of the barren door".

MissM

Original Poster
what would annoy me the most is your flash photography....followed closely by someone being so obsessed by a temporary door during a vacation. must have ruined your day.
But you weren't there. And neither was anyone else. So one 1/16th of a second flash in an entirely empty queue is quite moot to your "annoyance." I also never said anything about my "vacation" (reality: driving over for the afternoon just to enjoy a few hours in the park since I'm a local and an AP holder) being "ruined."

The only people trying to make this into something melodramatic are the apologists. I posted to point out an observation in the news and updates forum since this is an in-progress update to PotC. I personally find the way it's being presented distasteful and you're welcome to embrace it and say how awesome and amazing it is to have a plain door just as much as I'm allowed to say I think it's lame. What you're not allowed to do is assign emotion to me, my experiences or add your own snark about me personally.

ETA: I would also hardly say that one photo is an "obsession." :rolleyes:

Timekeeper

I don't understand what all of the fuss is about. The door in the Haunted Mansion is much worse. o_O

hauntedmansiondoor.jpg

TalkingHead

One could argue and it appears that is the case, after all who gives a rats , if it costs why bother. But what puzzles me is is it not the attention to detail that all the pixy dust merchants cite as the reason why Disney is superior to other amusement parks?

Or is corporate loyalty unquestioning?

This comment should get its own thread.

The Empress Lilly

what would annoy me the most is your flash photography....followed closely by someone being so obsessed by a temporary door during a vacation. must have ruined your day.
The OP said that Pirates was pretty uncrowded. From the looks of the picture, there is nobody in the area. Unless there's some clear indication otherwise, why nor give her the benefit of the doubt that she was so considerate as to not bother people with a flash photograph?

Nobody is freaking out in this thread, except the people who think people are freaking out. We all know that a door is door. We are not freaking out about it. We are fans. We simply enjoy Disney that much that we spend a good deal of our time reading and discussing it. Including seemingly insignificant details. We are not foaming behind our monitors, we are instead quite calmly discussing upkeep work in a WDW ride, and the importance of maintaining coherent theme, and theater techniques in a theme park. If we wouldn't be interrupted, perhaps we could even evolve this thread into a discussion over what temporary intrusions are financially and practically worthwhile to disguise, and which aren't.

Is that obsessive? You bet it is! I spend a good deal of my reading time obsessing over Disney. I am madly in love and totally obsessed with WDW, every little detail. That is very different from freaking out all the time over tiny details.

The Empress Lilly

Disney is a corporation that is free to do as they please. I've never read about "good show" or "bad show" in their annual report.

I can easily get over "the horrors of the barren door".
This must rank as the single greatest collection of random, irrelevant truisms on this board ever. Awesome!

Erm...let's see:
'I have never read in an annual report about "Rapunzel making sexytime with Borat on-stage in front of Cinderella Castle". It is therefore irrelevant to Disney's business. Also, all of SSE's audio being replaced by a recording of Nascar commentary is none of our concern, because Disney has got freedom of speech.

Not me though, because I can easily get over people fawning over the new turrets on the new castle wall.

SosoDude

The door is not the problem, its that there was no attempt to theme or hide the temporary door. Disney usually at least TRIES to hide or blend this sort of thing. Not the end of the world but not a great thing by any strech

Magenta Panther

Okay, that looks like merde (pardon my French). It makes the POTC queue look like cheap carnival trash! What the helvede??? (Pardon my Danish). There, see that? That picture is making me resort to using languages I'm not even remotely familiar with! :0

Magenta Panther

There's actually significantly more light in the queue currently than previously. It's still slightly dimmed, but it's not anywhere near "dark" these days. Even the chess scene was about 5x brighter than it used to be. I'm guessing they're increasing the lighting as part of whatever interactive features they're adding. After all, you can't play a game in the dark.

It was shocking to me in how out of place it looked. I've always though the PotC queue was the gold standard for immersive theme, so it makes me a bit sad to see such a out-of-place element like a generic, plywood door. *shrugs*

I have a feeling it's going to be even worse once the interactive queue junk gets installed... :(

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I don't understand what all of the fuss is about. The door in the Haunted Mansion is much worse. o_O

hauntedmansiondoor.jpg
LOL!!! HAHA..omg I'm dying.
NICE JOB! LOL....with the creative minds around here I can see this door popping up in a few more Disney photos before too long....

scpergj

The door is not the problem, its that there was no attempt to theme or hide the temporary door. Disney usually at least TRIES to hide or blend this sort of thing. Not the end of the world but not a great thing by any strech

Yes - this. They don't even need to do much to disguise the door, just paint it in a color CLOSE to the color of the walls (like the rest of the screens/walls are) instead of keeping it white. If they painted it grey, the bright blue lock wouldn't even stand out that much.

Attention to small details...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom