A new Toontown at WDW (open brainstorming)

Wishmaker

It is unfortunate that DHS has abandoned its real studio origins, but I don't see it recovering anytime soon. I think a fusion of Who Framed Roger Rabbit and the Disneyland Toontown would be a great addition to DHS. They could even have The Ink & Paint Club as a new character restaurant and they could possibly (if they'd go for it) have an upstairs lounge just for adults. I like the Chicken Little idea too. The area where the facades of NY and San Fran are is begging for an overhaul and I think it would flow well considering the Muppets and Pizza Planet are nearby. And sequel or no sequel, a Roger Rabbit E-Ticket Ride would be amazing and I believe very popular.

mharrington

Original Poster
But what about the Magic Kingdom? I don't just want to leave it shafted, considering its kid-friendly atmosphere.

Wishmaker

I think the Fantasyland expansion will satisfy for a while and I'd rather see Wonderland put in than another Mickey town. And even though Mickey is the ruler of the magic kingdom, I think Toontown is more appropriate for DHS given the Hollywood atmosphere and for the simple fact that Mickey was a movie star long before he was a park embassador, but that's just my opinion.

MarkTwain

I say put it in DHS for a number of reasons:

1. The park is the only park currently without a permanent, major presence of the Fab 5.

2. In Who Framed Roger Rabbit, the "actual" Toontown was hidden next to Hollywood. Imagine the transition, going down Hollywood Boulevard toward the (hatless) Chinese Theater, taking a turn, going through a "secret portal" and finding yourself in the cartoon world of Toontown!

3. DHS is still lacking in fantasy elements, or places that feel like they're from my/others' imagination. I know that DHS is a different sort of park, but IMO too much of the park is given over to a backlot theme, where things aren't supposed to be real, and everything has a fake, movie-set feel to it. This worked fine back in the park's studio days, but today DHS ought to go in new directions to feature more themed lands like its theme park brethren. Toontown has the perfect potential to be DHS's equivalent to Fantasyland, full of cartoon imagination and character but still fitting in to the DHS Hollywood theme.

And Tahu, I love that Oswald Trolley idea! I was thinking about posting a DHS makeover idea featuring a Toontown, and I'd like to feature that as an attraction within it... with your permission of course. :)

mharrington

Original Poster
I think the Fantasyland expansion will satisfy for a while and I'd rather see Wonderland put in than another Mickey town. And even though Mickey is the ruler of the magic kingdom, I think Toontown is more appropriate for DHS given the Hollywood atmosphere and for the simple fact that Mickey was a movie star long before he was a park embassador, but that's just my opinion.

But what about finding Mickey in the Magic Kingdom? Sorry, I just don't see Main Street cutting it as the place to find Mickey. Besides, how many people know Mickey was a movie star before a park ambassador? I mean, we serious Disney fans know only too well that he was a movie star, but what about the general public?

Magenta Panther

And that was probably one of the best ideas. The Toontown at MK is a piece of nothing compared to the Toontown at DL. The idea of the Toontown at the Studios would not only bring new attractions to a park that NEEDS it, it would make a park that pretty much died thanks to Eisner closing the Studios part of it rocket back to popularity. Of course, to not overcrowd it, you could have a much more detailed experience at the Studios and a different, simpler experience at the Magic Kingdom.

I think a Toontown in WDW is a wonderful idea. Maybe it could have the Mickey Mouse dark ride I'm envisioning, based on the video game Epic Mickey. There could also terrific Roger Rabbit 3D movie theater, and a toon-themed restaurant. Wow, this is getting exciting! So much could be done with MHarrington's idea. I hope Imagineers read this thread...

Omegadiz

Or...you could have both. Think about it, you could have some houses and residential area at MK, then have the toon studio/city/downtown toon town area at DHS. Just a thought.
I like the houses for exploring and occasionally meeting a character but having a perminent M&G kinda traps a character dont you think? It also makes a longer line. I personally think it would be interesting to see Mickey in fantasyland sporting a Brave Little Tailor or musketeer attire one day and in tomorrowland in a space ranger attire the next. I figure, Mickey is like the second namesake of the park, why trap him to one spot? Besides, if everyone knows where he is going to be at all day without a break, the line would be rediculas! Good Example : Mickey's Country house.

Timon

An "toontown" should not be a one for one copy of DL's TT. Parts of sure but let's break some new ground.

In many cartoons there are cartoon cities. If DL has Toontown why can't WDW have Duckburg based on the Donald Duck comics. Scrooges Money Bin could be an attraction. Gyro Gearloose's workshop full of interactive things to do. Easy enough to explain Florida vacation homes for the Fab 5.

The perfect spot for this land is at DHS between the Animation Courtyard and the Pixar Place entrance. Retire the old Mermaid show and relocate the OMD the rest of the buildings are just offices.

picture.php

Imagine the transition, going down Hollywood Boulevard toward the (hatless) Chinese Theater, taking a turn, going through a "secret portal" and finding yourself in the cartoon world of Toontown!

Exactly - In the movie you entered Toontown through a tunnel or the broken brick wall of the Gag Factory all great transitions into fantasy.

Someone mentioned the Ink & Paint Club for a restaurant - a great idea.

Fab 5 ride - long over due but similar to the RR ride in DL a "D+"ticket.

picture.php

picture.php

As for the Fab 5 in the MK why can't Mickey have a MS USA apartment on 2nd Floor or Center Street? Hey he's rich enough to have unique homes in each park. DAK's could have a thatched stilt house partly over water with a Toon sea plane tied to the dock underneath. Who knows

mharrington

Original Poster
I'll answer several posts simultaneously here.

Or...you could have both. Think about it, you could have some houses and residential area at MK, then have the toon studio/city/downtown toon town area at DHS. Just a thought.
I like the houses for exploring and occasionally meeting a character but having a perminent M&G kinda traps a character dont you think? It also makes a longer line. I personally think it would be interesting to see Mickey in fantasyland sporting a Brave Little Tailor or musketeer attire one day and in tomorrowland in a space ranger attire the next. I figure, Mickey is like the second namesake of the park, why trap him to one spot? Besides, if everyone knows where he is going to be at all day without a break, the line would be rediculas! Good Example : Mickey's Country house.

But the thing with the permanent meet and greet at least tells you where Mickey can be found reliably, because I don't think a lot of people would like the idea of going all over the park just to find Mickey. And if Mickey is the second namesake of the park, what's the first?

Is there not any way we could have this in both MK and the Studios?

As for the Fab 5 in the MK why can't Mickey have a MS USA apartment on 2nd Floor or Center Street? Hey he's rich enough to have unique homes in each park. DAK's could have a thatched stilt house partly over water with a Toon sea plane tied to the dock underneath. Who knows

If Mickey is so rich, he should have his own real home, not just some apartment. And as for Main Street, what about the rest of Mickey's group? It's not just Mickey, you know.

Omegadiz

I'll answer several posts simultaneously here.

But the thing with the permanent meet and greet at least tells you where Mickey can be found reliably, because I don't think a lot of people would like the idea of going all over the park just to find Mickey. And if Mickey is the second namesake of the park, what's the first?

Is there not any way we could have this in both MK and the Studios?

If Mickey is so rich, he should have his own real home, not just some apartment. And as for Main Street, what about the rest of Mickey's group? It's not just Mickey, you know.

Isn't that what the times guide if for? People dont have a problem with how its done on the cruises

You gotta remember that MK is the Disneyland park of Walt Disney World

And if he's so rich, he'd be living in the Castle Suite

ScorpionX

Hi-ho, Kermit the frog here, I had an idea to re-imagine Gadget's Go-Coaster in Disneyland Anaheim, and Tokyo Disneyland into Plane Crazy, a rollercoaster based on the cartoon of the same name.

mharrington

Original Poster
Isn't that what the times guide if for? People dont have a problem with how its done on the cruises

You gotta remember that MK is the Disneyland park of Walt Disney World

And if he's so rich, he'd be living in the Castle Suite

I do know that the MK is the Disneyland of the park. But what has putting the emphasizing of "Disney" here got to do with anything? What do the cruises have to do with anything, too? All I'm saying is Mickey and the gang need real homes here, homes the guests can find. We should try and figure out how we can give them real prominent spots in both MK and the Studios. Isn't there something that can be done to accommodate both?

Hi-ho, Kermit the frog here, I had an idea to re-imagine Gadget's Go-Coaster in Disneyland Anaheim, and Tokyo Disneyland into Plane Crazy, a rollercoaster based on the cartoon of the same name.

This is for WDW's Toontown, though, not DL's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom