'A Frozen Holiday Wish' to begin November 5

rct247

They did surprise me with this one. It looks pretty good. The projection sequence was a bit long, but overall very nice. I do wish there was more holiday music and references in it. The music is beautiful, but primarily Frozen.

mm52200

I like the show a lot because it has a very nice organic script, really good acting from the characters actually they seem very real and not so cheesy, AND great use of the projection technology with the castle lights. They very much could have taken the old way of lighting the castle and just put Let It Go music with it instead but they didn't. So great job WDW entertainment!

JustInTime

Not bad. Dialogue and choreography fits for the characters. My only criticism is that it seems like the entire thing is a bit too long. Specifically the castle projection sequence seems to stretch and I feel like they need to stick to the graphics/animation being realistic without resorting to the over over-enlarged cliche snowflakes.

With Olaf, I think Entertainment struggled to find a middle ground. In the end I think they went with a taller version to ensure that they would be able to easily duplicate, otherwise they would have the old Donald/Seven Dwarfs issue with ensuring they have enough Cast that meet the requirements. I also think if they went the short route we would have seen something more akin to Mike Wazowski with limited animation and mobility. That and Disney on Ice already did the dirty work with the design. $$$.
I agree with you. The animation scene was too long.

Rafiki

The event is still called "Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party" right?

The castle lighting show is not part of the Christmas party. It is performed every night whether the party is taking place or not. But I do agree Cinderella should have been included. She could have been there to welcome them to her castle seeing as they were "visiting".

Disney Analyst

I really don't see the need for Cinderella to be involved in everything when it involves the castle. It's a Disney kingdom for goodness sake. Everyone lives there and would obviously be welcome... I mean the villains get a stage show... You don't need to beat it over the audiences head that Cinderella lives there. We realize, and everyone accepts that Anna and Elsa are likely welcome there.

jrh1985

Saw on Twitter, a Vine Video of the last few seconds of the 6:45 DAWM from tonight, the Dream Lights' Strobes are there! So The Lights are "on" in a way for DAWM. I'm guessing The lights go out a few seconds before 7:30. That's how MK does it for everything else.
AWESOME IDEA having DAWM at 6:45 on regular days MK!!!!!!

Can't believe the first MVMCP is tomorrow!

TheRabbit

The only thing I don't like is that they do the Castle lighting show...then shut the lights off 30 min later...then do the Lighting show again. I prefer the old way of doing it once and leaving the castle lights on.

Last edited:

Kman101

I understand the affection for Mickey and Cindy but this is a very nice change, even if everyone's on Frozen overload. I felt it actually had more heart, the mapping looked great and it seemed like a well done show. It's a castle lighting, not Cindy and Mickey being kicked out of the kingdom forever. That's why things become stale over time. They did a good job with this and it honestly seems to really fit the Christmas season. I'd actually go out of my way to see it in person. The original lighting was beautiful but a change is much welcome.

I know it's also a regular park offering, but the Christmas and Halloween parties, while still offering decent things, are all becoming tired and in need of changes, new entertainment (though I do love Celebrate the Season castle show) ... anyway ... back to Frozen.

photomatt

Not sure if you noticed but MS West backstage was open after fireworks as well as MS East.
I left the park last night using MS East. I have not been backstage since 1994, so it was pretty cool. On Saturday I will check to see if MS West is open and use that. Thanks for the info.

TheRabbit

The capacity is very much needed. Three shows would be better.
How do you figure?...the start of each Castle lighting show just jams up main street all the way up to the hub. The old way they did one Castle lighting show and then everyone scattered and lessened congestion. It was horrible in the park tonight at the start of each show...can't imagine 3 shows.

Last edited:

jrh1985

How do you figure?...the start of each show just jams up main street all the way up to the hub. The old way they did one show and then everyone scattered and lessened congestion. It was horrible in the park tonight at the start of each show...can't imagine 3 shows.
Do you know/remember how many people stayed around for the 6:45 DAWM? Just wondering because DAWM rarely plays at night .

Back to the Lights, Did they refresh the Strobes too? Maybe even added some? Wishes and DAWM always look stunning with the Strobes. In The Vids I've seen today of those two shows, The Strobes either look brighter or there's more of them this year.

BrittanyRose428

Pretty much restating what's already been said: It was much better than I thought it would be, though I had really low expectations because I'm so over Frozen at this point. I thought the projection was really well done, though like others have mentioned, it could have been cut a bit shorter and that would have been fine with me-- it just seemed like it took a long time for the castle to actually get lit up. I have issues with Olaf's size. I was hoping he'd be a puppet or animatronic (similar to what they had in California) and just leave him on the balcony or something instead of the costume. As has been mentioned, the costume's already been seen due to Disney on Ice, which IMO also could have had a better design as well. I loved that most of it was actually the actors speaking and not a recording, though I agree that it was quite noticeable that Olaf was Josh Gad, and the other characters were different sounding. I thought the conversation they had was a little odd, like they mentioned that they should be respectful because it wasn't their castle, and Elsa doesn't initially want to freeze it because of that, but the other characters end up peer pressuring her into it. I just thought that whole setup was weird. It would have appealed to me more if Cinderella were involved somehow, and there were perfect segways into having other characters there but they were never used.

Pros:
-live audio
-castle projection looked good
-mentioning that it wasn't their castle
-music was good
-conversation felt natural
-snow machines on

Cons:
-Olaf's size
-castle projection could have been shorter
-weird conversation/no Cinderella
-I'd be okay if Frozen could stop taking over things that don't need fixing..

TheRabbit

Do you know/remember how many people stayed around for the 6:45 DAWM? Just wondering because DAWM rarely plays at night .

Back to the Lights, Did they refresh the Strobes too? Maybe even added some? Wishes and DAWM always look stunning with the Strobes. In The Vids I've seen today of those two shows, The Strobes either look brighter or there's more of them this year.
I'm pretty sure in years past, they perfomed the last DAWM show while the Castle lights were lit. I'm just in favor of there being 1 Castle lighting show each night. Just my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom