• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Pre-Trip A first, a last, and a galaxy far, far, away... (Now with bonus London TR!)

MinnieM123

Advertisement
About that red mailbox -- reminds me of a trip I took to Ireland quite a few years ago. My friends and I wanted to mail some postcards, and we asked the owner of the B&B (where we were staying), where we could fine one. He told us a location a few streets away, and we looked around and around -- no mailbox. Hmm.

Finally, we saw a person put an envelope in a green, upright pipe on the sidewalk (that's the only way I can describe this thing! :hilarious: ). Anyway, it was the Irish version of a mailbox (a little bit like the red one in London, although the London one was slightly more identifiable). We all had a good laugh over this, as we must have driven by at least 5 pipes on sidewalks, during our travels that day! :joyfull:

bee

Original Poster
Day 6, cont.

We had dinner in the lounge but I didn't take any pics as it was mostly the same stuff as previous nights (cheese, hummus, salads, etc.). After dinner we spent the rest of the night in our room watching movies on TV and watching the sunset out the window.

By the end of the night it was raining but we could still see the sunset!

bee

Original Poster
Day 7: Monday, May 27 (last full day)

This morning we only had coffee in the lounge as we had plans to have a full English breakfast at a nearby pub called The Old Bell. They had a vegetarian version for under 3 pounds! Yes please!

We seated ourselves, then ordered both food and drinks at the bar. When we ordered we told the bartender our table number and then paid him upfront. He gave us our beers and then we took them back to the table to wait for our food to come from the kitchen.

Breakfast, with veggie sausage

After the pub we walked back to the room to change, because our plans today required slightly dressier attire and we planned to be out all day. Then we went back out to wait for the bus to the city center.

We waited no more than five minutes and were soon on our way!

Stradivariu(s)

Spash007

Hold up - beer with breakfast? I have no objections (actually I think it's pretty brilliant - it looks like Apple Juice right?), but I don't even know if that's an option in the States! Is that customary in the UK?

bee

Original Poster
Hold up - beer with breakfast? I have no objections (actually I think it's pretty brilliant - it looks like Apple Juice right?), but I don't even know if that's an option in the States! Is that customary in the UK?
I can confirm that is unfortunately not customary in the UK!
And there you have it! Although, the pub only served breakfast until noon, and we arrived before 11, and we seemed to be the only ones actually eating...

Katiekitten

And there you have it! Although, the pub only served breakfast until noon, and we arrived before 11, and we seemed to be the only ones actually eating...
If the pub belongs to the chain I am thinking it does then I am not completely surprised that you were the only ones eating in it!!

Reactions: bee

bee

Original Poster
If the pub belongs to the chain I am thinking it does then I am not completely surprised that you were the only ones eating in it!!
This one?

https://www.greatukpubs.co.uk/oldbellkilburn

Oh man, I guess it just depends on the spot!
I mean...sometimes beer is breakfast, right??
Awesome sunset 🌅!
Thanks! We had a good view of it every night since that window faced west, but it was especially vibrant that night!

bee

Original Poster
Day 7, cont.

Our first destination of the day was The British Museum.

Took this because there is a famous opera character called "The Queen of the Night." You have probably heard this aria sung by her:

We'll take your pounds, euros, dollars, or yen!

DisneyGigi

If I can have a Bloody Mary for breakfast at Disney at 10:30- a beer is definitely an okay choice. Breakfast of champions! I am already pondering a Bloody Mary on the flight down to chill me out. 😂

Side note here, but I was amazed at how many people were ordering yard size beers at the first showing of Avengers. It was at 9:15 am and a 3 hour movie!! I wouldn’t even have coffee for fear of having to go to the bathroom.

bee

Original Poster
If I can have a Bloody Mary for breakfast at Disney at 10:30- a beer is definitely an okay choice. Breakfast of champions! I am already pondering a Bloody Mary on the flight down to chill me out. 😂

Side note here, but I was amazed at how many people were ordering yard size beers at the first showing of Avengers. It was at 9:15 am and a 3 hour movie!! I wouldn’t even have coffee for fear of having to go to the bathroom.
Most of our local cinemas don't serve alcohol, but I would definitely NOT get a beer before Avengers!! I barely even drank water before that movie!!

No it doesn't :banghead:
Alas!

Ha! That's a very cool picture. :happy:
Thanks!

bee

Original Poster
DISNEY UPDATE!!!

We're under the two week mark for the GE preview trip and just over the two week mark for the BIG TRIP!!!

My brother has decided to stay offsite for both segments of the trip to save money, because he recently had to buy a new car to replace his very old car that was starting to need constant repairs. But, in better news, his PTO got officially approved for 8/29 and 8/30 (he was pretty sure it would be, but of course it's nice to know it's official)!

I was realizing the other day that I haven't actually seen my brother in person in almost two years because life has been so busy and crazy recently. We text every day and talk regularly, but there's nothing like being together in person!

Yesterday we were able to get reservations for Oga's for a couple of future trips, but we couldn't get any for the opening weekend. I'm not surprised and I'll keep checking but my hopes won't be completely dashed if we can't get in this time around.

Last edited:

NessNewt

So...unrelated to this upcoming trip, but Southwest has announced they will no longer fly to/from Newark starting in early November. This is suuuuper annoying as that’s our preferred airline and airport, and this affects our holiday travel. We changed everything to LGA which is farther and will take more time and/or money to get to. We were planning to fly to Jacksonville on Christmas Day to be with M’s parents but we weren’t able to change that one flight and keep it on the same day, so how we won’t get there until December 26. 😫 On the plus side, I got to change a few days so we will have MORE time in either Orlando or Jacksonville, And obviously SWA didn’t charge for the changes even though the new flights were more expensive than the original flights.

Like I said, this won’t affect our August trip(s) but this will definitely make us reconsider future travel and ever using Southwest again. I’ve been a huge Southwest fangirl for years, mostly because they have good flights between Newark and Orlando and no change fees. Now that they’re not flying to Newark anymore I am looking into JetBlue (which has more flights anyway) for future trips.

All that said I realize I am extremely lucky to be able to travel frequently enough that this is a “problem” for me.
Southwest and JetBlue are my favorites. In my experience they have so many lovely people working for them and great customer service. Both fly from our local airport to Orlando. We usually go SW because they tend to be cheaper especially if we need to check luggage, but JetBlue.... Oh I love JetBlue. The seats are so nice and roomy. Nice snack variety. Every seat has a little TV. Good stuff.

NessNewt

So...unrelated to this upcoming trip, but Southwest has announced they will no longer fly to/from Newark starting in early November. This is suuuuper annoying as that’s our preferred airline and airport, and this affects our holiday travel. We changed everything to LGA which is farther and will take more time and/or money to get to. We were planning to fly to Jacksonville on Christmas Day to be with M’s parents but we weren’t able to change that one flight and keep it on the same day, so how we won’t get there until December 26. 😫 On the plus side, I got to change a few days so we will have MORE time in either Orlando or Jacksonville, And obviously SWA didn’t charge for the changes even though the new flights were more expensive than the original flights.

Like I said, this won’t affect our August trip(s) but this will definitely make us reconsider future travel and ever using Southwest again. I’ve been a huge Southwest fangirl for years, mostly because they have good flights between Newark and Orlando and no change fees. Now that they’re not flying to Newark anymore I am looking into JetBlue (which has more flights anyway) for future trips.

All that said I realize I am extremely lucky to be able to travel frequently enough that this is a “problem” for me.
Southwest and JetBlue are my favorites. In my experience they have so many lovely people working for them and great customer service. Both fly from our local airport to Orlando. We usually go SW because they tend to be cheaper especially if we need to check luggage, but JetBlue.... Oh I love JetBlue. The seats are so nice and roomy. Nice snack variety. Every seat has a little TV. Good stuff.

Reactions: bee
Top Bottom