A few things...

Heatherbell

Ok starting with DME...I am leaving on Sept 21st :sohappy: YIPEE!
Anyhow, I am not leaving here (MASS) until 8 and I think our plane comes in around 11:30 or so...I have used DME several times in the past and I have used it on flights as late as the one I am on this time...however, I was just reading the tips on allears.net and some people did not receive their baggage until the next morning and they were late getting to the parks...now I have taken flights this late but I received my bags around 2 or 3 in the morning (which is fine with us...) so my question is...is there a chance I may not receive my bags until morning time???? I don't have a problem with getting my own bags at the airport but honestly, I'd rather not...but I have to be at MK real early the next morning for a TS so I don't want to chance it...anyone ever had a late flight and NOT gotten their luggage until the next morning?

And secondly, my husband and I are taking a trip BY OURSELVES (lol). We are leaving the kids home with Nana for some alone time because we deserve it!!! I've been to Disney a billion times and this time we want to do things for us...we are planning on spending a night just going around future world sampling the drinks and food, I am a wine lover and my husband is a beer lover...any suggestions?

And lastly we have done almost everything except for the following....One Man's Dream, Enchanted Tiki Room, American Adventure @ Epcot, and the Drew Carey attraction at MGM...are they worth seeing or should we continue to skip it like we have all these years???

It's alot of questions I know...but you guys are awesome! Thanks!!!!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
If you don't mind being woken up when they deliver your bags, then you shouldn't have any trouble with DME. There is always a possibility that your bags might not make it by morning, but mostly if the airlines lose your bags and then DME will be tracking them down for you instead of you having to do it yourself. If you want to sleep [or can], you can ask Bell Services to hold your bags until you call them in the morning. They usually deliver within 20 minutes of your call unless they're really busy.

Drinking around the world: My only suggestion is to pace yourself. Al;cohol and Florida heat don't mix well.... Wouldn't want you and hubby to be the topic of a "Obnoxious Drunks at Disney" thread when you get home! :lookaroun :lol:

I am Canadian and although the patriotism is a bit over the top for me, American Adventure is certainly a must-see every trip. One Man's Dream is very 'museum-like'. but I enjoyed it. I haven't been to the Tiki Room in years and I've never seen the Drew Carey thing.

Upvote 0

mickey&me

Congrats!

First, I'd like to say--a solo vacation? You go, girl!

Personally, I haven't done the Tiki Room in years, mostly b/c of the annoying song ("In the tiki tiki tiki tiki room"). But I understand that they turn that off early, at the request of the New Management (Iago from Aladdin).

Skip Sounds Dangerous with Drew Carey. I like Drew Carey, but absolutely hated this attraction. It was a total waste of time.

Have a great time with your hubby!

Upvote 0

DISMOM

Try the above mentioned missed attractions once.... if you don't care for them, then don't take the time to hit them with the kids on your next trip. We found Drew Carey and the Tiki Room to be cute and a nice way to rest our feet before we continued our Disney trek. We have missed the American Adventure on two trips..so we really need to hit it on our next visit, too. Have a great time.

Upvote 0

Nansafan

We never miss American Adventure (history buffs and a great place for a nap in the air conditioning when our kids were young). I find it scandalous that someone with 400 posts and a billion trip to WDW has not done One Man's Dream, this is also a "must-do" for us. Our family considers it a way of paying homage to the man who started it all. Seriously, see it, the models of the castles are neat.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Let your DME bags come when they may, and pack for your immediate needs in your carry-ons. Honestly, you should do this at all times, anyway, just in case the AIRLINE delays your luggage!

We packed this way last time, a family of 4 with a 6 year old and 4 year old. We packed our park clothes for the next day in our carry-ons. Our bags arrived in the middle of the night -- we were called and asked to wait 'til morning for delivery.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

If it is essential that you have your luggage first thing in the morning than maybe you should pick up your own bags. For the most part everyone gets their luggage but there are the stories... I'm sure you've heard some! Packing what you need in your carry on is always a good tip but of course you can't carry on toiletries (unless they're travel size) and if you're like me you need your toiletries to get ready in the morning!:) We picked up our own luggage. Well, we had to claim it b/c we traveled from Canada and seeing we already had it in our hands we decided to carry it out to the bus. It was nice knowing that our luggage was underneath us and would arrive at the hotel when we did. But that's our feeling on it and some people would rather not deal with it and wait for it to show up!

Upvote 0

natolij02

We had an early am flight and arrived to our resort at 1:00 pm. We didnt get our luggage until 6:45 pm which was fine as we were resting with our little one in the room and wandered around the resort and had lunch but, just know it may take awhile and like one poster said, pack your carry on with your essentials. You can always get soap and shampoo from the mousekeeping if you need it. Pack some clothes and your toothbrushes and head to the parks and have fun and let DME bring your luggage whenever so you dont have to stress over it.

I see the Tiki room EVERY time I go to DISNEY. It's a childhood memory for me and I can't go to DISNEY without seeing that and Small World.

We had dinner at BOMA at AKL one of our nights and after we ate we wandered around the resort for a bit. It was nice and relaxing and breathtaking so if you are looking for a little sight seeing I recommend that. Also if you eat at OHANA'S at the POLY you can take the ferry boat from MK to the POLY resort and that too was beautiful. We sat on the dock waiting for our boat to take us back to MK and it was very peacful...a nice change of pace from all of the hustle and bustle in the parks.

Upvote 0

Heatherbell

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your posts...much appreciated!

I think I may go and get my own bags. I have never had a problem before but there is always a chance and we have early reservations at Ohana for breakfast.

Whats the Adventurers Club? It is in Pleasure Island correct? On all of my trips I have only been to the Pleasure Island bars once (usually I am too tired, lol)

Again, thanks.

Upvote 0

bobjl527

And lastly we have done almost everything except for the following....One Man's Dream, Enchanted Tiki Room, American Adventure @ Epcot, and the Drew Carey attraction at MGM...are they worth seeing or should we continue to skip it like we have all these years???

My wife and I, who always go without our children (we don't have any:cool: ) have tried all these attractions with the exception of One Man's Dream. The Tiki Room is a lot of fun, especially since the "Under New Management" kicked in. The American Adventure is a nice get away from the heat and humidity. I would say avoid Sounds Dangerous with Drew Carey. Drew is a funny guy but this attraction is pretty lame. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

Rob562

Whats the Adventurers Club? It is in Pleasure Island correct? On all of my trips I have only been to the Pleasure Island bars once (usually I am too tired, lol)

*GASP*!!!! *SPUTTER*... :eek: [FAINT...] You've NEVER been to the Adventurer's Club????? And you call yourself a Disney Fan? :animwink:

It's a hard-to-describe club on Pleasure Island. Part bar, part interactive improv theater, part comedy club. Don't make the mistake that many newbies make by leaving after only 10-15 minutes because you're bored and nothing's happening. Go inside, go downstairs, get a drink and grab a seat in the Main Salon (the main central room). Eventually something will happen, and chances are it'll be very funny. :) *Definitely* plan on spending an hour or two there. (And you never know, you may end up spending the entire evening!)

Sometimes it's best to be surprised on your first visit, but if you'd like a little more info (especially if it'll convince you to actually go), AllEars has a pretty good page about the AC:
http://www.allearsnet.com/btp/faq_adv.htm

-Rob

Upvote 0

sbkline

Personally, I'm one who likes to do as many attractions on my visit as possible just to feel like I've sufficiently "done the place" and gotten my money's worth. We did alot of firsts on our trip in April, as I like to do something at least once just to say I did it. We did Country Bear Jamboree for the first time and we thought it sucked. But I don't regret doing it, because at least now I can say we did it.

So ya, I'd suggest doing all those attractions you listed just for that reason. If they suck, at least you can say you did it. And you might like them and find that you want to do them again. We haven't done "One Man's Dream" so we may have to put that on the list for next time. I can't remember if we did the Drew Carey one or not. Is that the one where you wear earphones?

But ya, like I said, I don't suggest continuing to skip anything that you've never done yet. Make an effort to do everything at least once. If you haven't done it yet, put it on your "to do" list.

Upvote 0

jcc0621

Let your DME bags come when they may, and pack for your immediate needs in your carry-ons. Honestly, you should do this at all times, anyway, just in case the AIRLINE delays your luggage!

We packed this way last time, a family of 4 with a 6 year old and 4 year old. We packed our park clothes for the next day in our carry-ons. Our bags arrived in the middle of the night -- we were called and asked to wait 'til morning for delivery.

Or in our case the TSA. The TSA pulled DH's suitcase for inspection and took of the ME tag.:fork: We arrived on Tuesday afternoon and we didn't get his bag until Wednesday around 4:00pm. Luckily I had packed our bathing suits in our carryon and my parents live 10 minutes away so they brought a change of clothes for Wednesday morning. I had shipped all the essential stuff (toothbrushes, etc) down to my parents a couple of weeks before so we were covered

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

When it comes to drinking around the world, I am a veteran!

Like others have said, you need to pace yourself, and start around 4 in the afternoon, this way you won't be plastered by dinner!

Remember that water every two countries will help you survive! Also eat! I go the beer route, and I'm usually feeling really magical by the fourth country, so just enjoy and have fun. Try the apple wine in Germany my wife says!

There's another game to play while drinking around the world... Going to the bathroom around the world! I've beaten that game many times!

Upvote 0

DABIGCHEEZ

As far as the attractions you listed I would suggest you see the American Adventure and the Voices of Liberty were very good. At least it'll give you a cool break between wine tastings. One Mans Dream is as someone said ...museum like but I found it pretty interesting...give it a look. Sounds Dangerous...well I did see it years ago and haven't since so it must not have been that memorable. And the Tiki Room..... have seen the old one as a kid many times and New Management version with the kids. It is still a classic and all but I wouldn't be upset if I skipped next year. Imagine Country Bears but instead birds and tikis singing above and around you. At least a respit from the heat. Have fun, drink, slur, stagger and enjoy. :wave:

Upvote 0

Rhuarac

If you drink around the world, pace yourself and don't do it on an empty stomach. Did it last September. I was hot, sick and miserable. If you do make the mistake and get hammered, stay away from the Garden Grill, the movement only made things worse.:eek:
Hope you have a great time.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

phenom1307

one man's dream has to be the best attraction at WDW. just look at it this way...if it wasn't for his dream there wouldn't be all those other attractions

Upvote 0

pacochran

One other suggestion is that you pack an outfit for the next day in a carry on, that way if you luggage doesn't come by the time you want to head out you'll have something to wear.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom