a few Thanksgiving questions . . .

drduck

Hi guys,

For the first time ever, my family will be at the World on Thanksgiving. I am a little worried about the park population on this day, and it's weekend. I was wondering about your experiences with this.

I was also wondering where the best places to eat this weekend were.

When do the Christmas decorations come up, and when do all the parades/shows/ attractions for this holiday start?

Lastly, how does MVMCP compare with MNSSHP?

Thanks for any help you can give.

meryll83

We were there over thanksgiving last year and i can answer a couple of questions:

we arrived on november 15th and the decs were already up.

for about 2 or 3 days (the weekend) on and around thanksgiving it was pretty busy ie. 180 minute wait for space mountain, but i would think AK and EPCOT might not be as busy as MK and MGM.

Before and after those dates it was pretty quiet, no long waits for any of the rides.

We didn't eat in the world during this time so I can't help you there, but I know there are special Thanksgiving menus to be found.

We didn't attend MVMCP or MNSSHP either, so unfortunately I can't help there either, but I'm looking into MNSSHP for next year and most people seem to rate this higher than MVMCP, though I'm sure the atmosphere is great at both.

Upvote 0

Lionking

My family has gone for Thanksgiving the last 2 years I really didn't think the crowds were that bad I have seen them much worse. MVMCP is fun great parade and fireworksit is like Mnsshp but it is christmas and yes the parks will be all ready for the holidays I remeber last year they started christmas on november 1st at AK. Holidays around the world at Epcot will start the day after thanksgiving.

Upvote 0

drduck

Original Poster
Lionking:

Was your post supposed to read that you:
A.) did think the crowds were bad
-or-
B.) didn't think the crowds were bad
?

Thanks

Upvote 0

durangojim

MVMCP is fun but having been at WDW on Christmas until after New Years, it didn't offer much more than a parade. We find MNSSHP to be much more fun due to it's interactive nature -- guests dressing up in costumes, trick or treating, the headless horseman riding through te MK, although it was cool that my son's very first picture with Santa ever was at the MK during the MVMCP.

Upvote 0

Aunt Barbie

a few Thanksgiving questions...

I would recommend the Liberty Tree Tavern for Thanksgiving Dinner. It has characters and serves an all you can eat typical American Thanksgiving dinner with turkey, stuffing etc and includes dessert and soft drinks, It was very crowded when we were there so have to suggest make your ADR ASAP.

Upvote 0

Gorjus

Describing crowd levels depends on what you are used to. I would say that Thanksgiving day and weekend are similar to summer crowds. However, days before Thanksgiving and after the weekend is over the crowds die down. My sister and her family went once and said NEVER AGAIN.

Decoration go up earlier than Thanksgiving, but most of the holiday events start the day after.

Upvote 0

erinuga

What my family and I have noticed is that each day gets busier until thanksgiving day, which is the busiest--and this is usually at MK. Most years we spend Thanksgiving Day at Epcot and it isn't too bad. Doable crowds.

The Osborne Lights are up by Thanksgiving and all Christmas decorations. I've actually only ever been to WDW the week of Thanksgiving, so I don't even know what it looks like without Christmas trees everywhere!

When planning your Thanksgiving meal- don't forget that the resorts usually have special meals for that day too!

Upvote 0

Capt. Jack

The first & only time we've been during Thanksgiving week, was 3 years ago. The crowds weren't as bad as you may think, seeing as it is a huge holiday & what better place to celebrate it then in Walt Disney World.

We ate at Cape May Cafe which is in Disneys own Beach Club side of the Yacht & Beach Club. It was delicious, & included all the Thanksgiving trimmings & what not.

Now, as far as great family style turkey eating, Liberty Tree Tavern wins hands down. This resteraunt is located in the Magic Kingdom park, in Liberty Square. The meal, which is also presented by Stouffers, comes with salad & bread, & is followed up by Ham, Turkey, & Roast Beef with sides such as Stouffers famous macaroni & cheese, mashed potatoes, stuffing/dressing, gravy, & of course some cranberry sauce. & yes, they also have a dessert.

These two places are just two great options/choices that I know of. I'm sure in another hotel/park, they have alot more great thanksgiving meals. Hope this helps (sorta).

..PS- If you haven't already, you need to schedule your thanksgiving meal A.S.A.P. because they book up really fast, even if the parks aren't crowded. & as far as the decorations, everything is decorated. You may ( depending on when your leaving ) not be there for Mickeys Christmas Party however, other then that, all other decorations will be up.

Upvote 0

xtimMOOthyx

We ate at the Prime Time, and the food was really good. The Liberty Tree Tavern serves turkey, stuffing, mashed potatos, etc. year round. The Osbourne Lights are up, as are all of the Christmas decorations. Thanksgiving day is pretty crowded, but the days after are not. We went in 2004, and we had such a good time. It was chilly a few days, but being that I am from the north, it has to be really cold outside to be truely cold. It was in the mid 60s, and the cast members had their coats on. I, on the other hand, was wearing shorts and flip flops.

Upvote 0

Tim G

The first & only time we've been during Thanksgiving week, was 3 years ago. The crowds weren't as bad as you may think, seeing as it is a huge holiday & what better place to celebrate it then in Walt Disney World.

We ate at Cape May Cafe which is in Disneys own Beach Club side of the Yacht & Beach Club. It was delicious, & included all the Thanksgiving trimmings & what not.

Now, as far as great family style turkey eating, Liberty Tree Tavern wins hands down. This resteraunt is located in the Magic Kingdom park, in Liberty Square. The meal, which is also presented by Stouffers, comes with salad & bread, & is followed up by Ham, Turkey, & Roast Beef with sides such as Stouffers famous macaroni & cheese, mashed potatoes, stuffing/dressing, gravy, & of course some cranberry sauce. & yes, they also have a dessert.

These two places are just two great options/choices that I know of. I'm sure in another hotel/park, they have alot more great thanksgiving meals. Hope this helps (sorta).

..PS- If you haven't already, you need to schedule your thanksgiving meal A.S.A.P. because they book up really fast, even if the parks aren't crowded. & as far as the decorations, everything is decorated. You may ( depending on when your leaving ) not be there for Mickeys Christmas Party however, other then that, all other decorations will be up.
Please, please, please... Set your size of the characters to size 2...
I'm hardly able to read your posts...

So, please...

Thanks... :D

Upvote 0

Mia319

we went the week of thanksgiving 2 years ago and the crowds weren't bad until the friday and saturday after thanksgiving...

we ate at the Crystal Palace... it was probably the most fun dinning experience we ever had! all the characters did a song / danced around the building, and our waiter kept singing to one of the girls in our party... it was so funny. they had traditional thanksgiving foods like turkey, potatoes, etc. buffet style... so we ate like we would have if we were at home!

Upvote 0

rbrower

I don't recomend eating at the California Grill for Thanksgiving dinner, just a word of advice. Also, have fun on your trip! I will be down there at that time too!

Upvote 0

wjaye918

I would recommend the Liberty Tree Tavern for Thanksgiving Dinner. It has characters and serves an all you can eat typical American Thanksgiving dinner with turkey, stuffing etc and includes dessert and soft drinks, It was very crowded when we were there so have to suggest make your ADR ASAP.
I am pretty sure it is already booked solid!

Upvote 0

drduck

Original Poster
thanks for the replies, everybody. it is going to be a really hectic week. my inlaws only have three days (thurs, fri, and sat) I am reviewing touring plans to see what we can accomplish in this limited time. any suggestions?

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

It is very very busy! The crowds slowly increase throughout the week so by T-day it is a madhouse and continue at this high through the weekend. It is not quite like christmas day or July 4th, but do expect long waits everywhere. Last year on Thanksgiving even Timkeeper was open. This alone should tell you how large the crowds are. If you have not made ressies for dinner on T-day you better get on the phone and do it NOW! You most likely will not have many choices for dinner at this point, but don't worry Disney always has seating somewhere for a good traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

I do like the MVMCP. The shows and parade really make the party worth the $$$. I would say that in order to do everything during the MVMCP you really need to go twice if not you will most likely miss something.

One thing that is a must see for us is the Holiday Illuminations. I typically rate Illuminations about a 9 on a scale of 1 - 10 and Holiday illuminations is about a 13.

Plan on crowds. You can still enjoy WDW, but just be ready to be at the parks early, use FP alot and be patient. Holidays are great!

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

drduck, are you planning to just go on Thanksgiving weekend, or are you staying for more time before or after the holiday?

If it's just the weekend, I'd suspect that you should plan on spending most of your time at Epcot or AK. MK and MGM will probably be more crowded (someone else already mentioned this, I'm just agreeing with them), then you can hit those parks the Monday/Tuesday following Thanksgiving and deal with fewer people.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom