A Few Quick Questions

SilentWindODoom

We are currently planning an August 12-21 stay at the Wilderness Lodge, the resort I've dreamed of going to since I first saw pictures of it in guidebooks before our 98 stay! Huzzah!

:sohappy:

So, we have come up with a few questions in the midst of our planning, and now that the site seem to have come back from it's downtime, I have the opprotunity to ask them so we can book everything (we already have the room). Later after booking I can ask more advice, but first these sticking points. Hopefully everyone here can help.

1) My dad wants to watch Illuminations from the new Hacienda de San Angel. I'd rather eat at Le Cellier (been there last time), Les Chefs de France (always wanted to try there), or Biergarten, and just stake out a place to sit. Is it possible to get advance reservations to La Hacienda and just order snacks and/or dessert, while watching the show? Should there be any problem with that at all? And what are your opinions on those restaurants if you'd like to throw those in?

2) My friend who's coming with me fell in love with the Polynesian as soon as he saw it. Unfortunately, this is the first time we've afforded Wilderness Lodge, and that was with the discount, so you can imagine we can't nearly afford the Polynesian. However, as it is possible to just walk into a resort and go to a restaurant and stuff like that, is there anything stopping a resort guest or even a non-guest from going to the pools of other resorts? Could we crash the Polynesian pool and spend an afternoon enjoying the tropical paradise?

3) I've seen that the Whispering Canyon Cafe offers a breakfast with country gravy. I'd thought that it was fairly tough to screw country gravy up, until I tried it at Cheddar Barrel, where it was terrible. To let you know my tastes, I think the Waffle House and Arby's stuff is good, and Denny's is servicable. Is the country gravy good or at least like those, or is it weird/terrible like I hear Disney's attempt at pizza is?

4) Where on property can we find grits? Just a simple breakfast with grits would be nice. If not, where in the World can we get grits?

sbkline

We are currently planning an August 12-21 stay at the Wilderness Lodge, the resort I've dreamed of going to since I first saw pictures of it in guidebooks before our 98 stay! Huzzah!

So, we have come up with a few questions in the midst of our planning, and now that the site seem to have come back from it's downtime, I have the opprotunity to ask them so we can book everything (we already have the room). Later after booking I can ask more advice, but first these sticking points. Hopefully everyone here can help.

1) My dad wants to watch Illuminations from the new Hacienda de San Angel. I'd rather eat at Le Cellier (been there last time), Les Chefs de France (always wanted to try there), or Biergarten, and just stake out a place to sit. Is it possible to get advance reservations to La Hacienda and just order snacks and/or dessert, while watching the show? Should there be any problem with that at all? And what are your opinions on those restaurants if you'd like to throw those in?

2) My friend who's coming with me fell in love with the Polynesian as soon as he saw it. Unfortunately, this is the first time we've afforded Wilderness Lodge, and that was with the discount, so you can imagine we can't nearly afford the Polynesian. However, as it is possible to just walk into a resort and go to a restaurant and stuff like that, is there anything stopping a resort guest or even a non-guest from going to the pools of other resorts? Could we crash the Polynesian pool and spend an afternoon enjoying the tropical paradise?

3) I've seen that the Whispering Canyon Cafe offers a breakfast with country gravy. I'd thought that it was fairly tough to screw country gravy up, until I tried it at Cheddar Barrel, where it was terrible. To let you know my tastes, I think the Waffle House and Arby's stuff is good, and Denny's is servicable. Is the country gravy good or at least like those, or is it weird/terrible like I hear Disney's attempt at pizza is?

4) Where on property can we find grits? Just a simple breakfast with grits would be nice. If not, where in the World can we get grits?

I'm not sure about the other questions, but question number 2 I can answer and the answer is NO! You could almost get ran out of here for even bringing up the subject!:ROFLOL:

Pool hopping is a pretty hot topic around here. The official answer is no, you can't use a pool at a hotel at which you are not a current guest. And opinions on this site are so strong against violators of this policy that if you even think about pool hopping, you'll have to make like Baljeet on Phineas and Ferb and hang the shame curtains. :lol:

But you can dine at the restaraunts at other resorts, although I question the concept of just "walking in" and eating there. You may get lucky and be able to do that, but most likely you'll need to book an ADR.

Oh ya, I guess I could give opinions on Biergarten and Le Cellier; both fine restaraunts. I don't know how you are with strangers, but one thing you will have to be aware of, in case it is an issue with you, is that at Biergarten, they sit you at a long table with another party. But it has a festive atmosphere with German music and good food. Le Cellier is a great restaraunt, too, but unfortunately, pretty much everyone shares that opinion, which makes it one of the hardest restaraunts on property to get into. And supper at Le Cellier recently became a "signature" experience, meaning it takes two table service credits on the dining plan, if you are on the dining plan.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

I'm not sure about the other questions, but question number 2 I can answer and the answer is NO! You could almost get ran out of here for even bringing up the subject!:ROFLOL:

Pool hopping is a pretty hot topic around here. The official answer is no, you can't use a pool at a hotel at which you are not a current guest. And opinions on this site are so strong against violators of this policy that if you even think about pool hopping, you'll have to make like Baljeet on Phineas and Ferb and hang the shame curtains. :lol:

But you can dine at the restaraunts at other resorts, although I question the concept of just "walking in" and eating there. You may get lucky and be able to do that, but most likely you'll need to book an ADR.

Oh ya, I guess I could give opinions on Biergarten and Le Cellier; both fine restaraunts. I don't know how you are with strangers, but one thing you will have to be aware of, in case it is an issue with you, is that at Biergarten, they sit you at a long table with another party. But it has a festive atmosphere with German music and good food. Le Cellier is a great restaraunt, too, but unfortunately, pretty much everyone shares that opinion, which makes it one of the hardest restaraunts on property to get into. And supper at Le Cellier recently became a "signature" experience, meaning it takes two table service credits on the dining plan, if you are on the dining plan.

You made my night! :ROFLOL:

To answer one of your questions, though... La Hacienda is a Table Service for dinner so yes you can make a reservation. It's indoor and not all tables will have great views. The tables by the windows are best, obviously! Make a reservation for probably 8pm if you only plan on appetizers and desserts.

Upvote 0

SilentWindODoom

Original Poster
Wow. I didn't think that would open up a can of worms. My language was a bit exagerrated for fun. We're a rather reserved and shy couple of guys, and I'm actually fairly... afraid of water (I'd like to call it having a healthy respect for it), and would probably just slowly float and flounder around the shallow end. We wouldn't be boorishly screaming or doing cannonballs while chugging drink after drink from the poolside bar. We'd just like to spend a little time relaxing and enjoying the atmosphere at the Polynesian.

But after reading the topic about the refillable mugs, it seems there is much animosity on this board towards "pool hopping". What is Disney's view on the subject of guests visiting pools in other resorts? I would think it a rather common practice, especially with pools like Port Orleans French Quarter and Boardwalk Inn.

And yes, I'm going to make advance reservations at any place I go to for dinner. I meant, though, that one could come in and go to a restaurant without problem.

As for the reservations, I know they take reservations, I was just wondering if making a dinner reservation and taking up a prime table at a prime time just to eat dessert or some snacks would be frowned upon.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Disney frowns on pool hopping, but the only pool I'm aware of where they enforce it is Stormalong Bay at Yacht and Beach Clubs. The rest you might get away with it if you weren't obvious about it. But where would you change? Where would you put your stuff while you were at the pool? It's not really worth it.

As for visiting the resorts to dine or just to visit... No problem at all.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Wow. I didn't think that would open up a can of worms. My language was a bit exagerrated for fun. We're a rather reserved and shy couple of guys, and I'm actually fairly... afraid of water (I'd like to call it having a healthy respect for it), and would probably just slowly float and flounder around the shallow end. We wouldn't be boorishly screaming or doing cannonballs while chugging drink after drink from the poolside bar. We'd just like to spend a little time relaxing and enjoying the atmosphere at the Polynesian.

But after reading the topic about the refillable mugs, it seems there is much animosity on this board towards "pool hopping". What is Disney's view on the subject of guests visiting pools in other resorts? I would think it a rather common practice, especially with pools like Port Orleans French Quarter and Boardwalk Inn.

And yes, I'm going to make advance reservations at any place I go to for dinner. I meant, though, that one could come in and go to a restaurant without problem.

As for the reservations, I know they take reservations, I was just wondering if making a dinner reservation and taking up a prime table at a prime time just to eat dessert or some snacks would be frowned upon.

Regarding the pool hopping, I was just trying to humurously make the point that not only is it against Disney rules (although as Monty said, they don't take great pains to enforce it), but that it is a hot topic around here that can make you alot of enemies if you do it. I'm not one of them, as I really don't care if you pool hop or not. I'm just answering your question and giving you fair warning of the attitude of many other posters here regarding that topic.

Regarding getting a table just for dessert and such, it may be "frowned upon" by the waiter, but I don't know of any rule against it. As long as you are paying for food off the menu, even if just an appetizer and dessert, then you are fine, although the waiter may find it tacky or cheap, especially since such an order is potentially lowering his tip. But there is a difference between "against the rules" and "frowned upon". Is your idea against the rules? No. Would it be frowned upon? Possibly. But I wouldn't worry about it, if that's what you want to do.

Upvote 0

MouseDreaming

Friends of ours met up with us during the last trip, hoping we could get tables near each other at Tony's. Didn't happen. Since they had been hitting the parks hard all day, they couldn't hold out for a 7:30 dinner, and had eaten earlier. They weren't about to eat a whole huge dinner, again, so they ordered desert. The waiter apparently was understandably put off at first, but was a little happier when they moved quickly--desert on table, eat, GONE!. So, you might create a crabby waiter situation, but there is nothing that says you can't.

As for your last question, the last time we stayed at POFQ (where you can "legally" pool hop to Riverside--same resort) they had grits at Sassagoula. I remember because I had a private little giggle when the lady with the very thick Southern accent was so excited that they had it.
(OH MY GOSH! You have grits! Honey, they have grits!) It was like running into Flo on vacation. My inner Midwesterner also finds it amusing when you hear the same Southern accents complaining how cold it is, when it is 60, and you just came out of sub zero.

Upvote 0

Prince-1

Not to stir the pot but if you are a DVC member (which I am guessing you are not) you can pool hop all day. This is from the DVC website..

Can we Pool Hop?
Disney Vacation Club members can enjoy the variety of themed pools at the Disney Resorts during their stay. Members are permitted to "hop" to any resort pool while they are a guest at a DVC resort. Exceptions are Stormalong Bay at the Beach & Yacht Club Resorts (unless you are staying at that resort or in the Beach Club Villas) and the Animal Kingdom Lodge pool (again, unless you are a guest of that resort).

Have fun and good luck on those grits!!

Upvote 0

smk

Surely someone with over 2100 posts would know about the "animosity" regarding pool hopping and mugs. Don't pool hop and get a new mug!

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

1) I'm not sure about the reservations...I guess you could call Disney & ask them. I am w/ you...I would prefer to eat at LeCellier & then watch Illuminations from anywhere in the WS.

2) I don't think you are supposed to use the other resort pools, but since you have a friend staying there, it may not be a big issue. Have you tried Ohana for breakfast or dinner at the Poly?...It's great! :slurp:

3) I love Whispering Canyon for dinner...never tried it for breakfast. Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary has a great breakfast & it is pretty close to the WL (just a boat ride or a monorail ride away).

4) Trail's End at the WL has grits on their breakfast menu.

Upvote 0

ornurse

Grits at the Crystal Palace are ok. This from an Atlanta mom who makes them for her boys every day! Glad some of y'all find our accents amusing. My sons LOVE the midwestern accent and try to copy it all day! Most of the other buffet breakfasts have grits that are too watery--maybe they are instant? Hope your trip to the World is awesome!

Upvote 0

MouseDreaming

Grits at the Crystal Palace are ok. This from an Atlanta mom who makes them for her boys every day! Glad some of y'all find our accents amusing. My sons LOVE the midwestern accent and try to copy it all day! Most of the other buffet breakfasts have grits that are too watery--maybe they are instant? Hope your trip to the World is awesome!
Bet they love the hard R's. :lol: That's the first thing I noticed when I moved to the Midwest.

Upvote 0

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No

Hi! Congrats on your trip this summer! You mentioned Chef de France as a possible place to eat. My family loves Chef De France. We have eaten there yearly (sometime bi-yearly), however, IMHO the food quality has gone way down. It is still ok though:) The desserts are fabulous. I never was there during Illuminations, but I can't image it is easy to see over the crowds that will be in front of the restaurant. Have fun!!!!

Upvote 0

mikeb1967

Pools and Resorts

First of all, this is MY opinion, if u think ill of it...i don't care! I know all the pros and cons of pool hopping, and in heavy peak times i realize visiting guests may cause overcrowding and no chairs for the resident resort guest, however that is an extremely rare occasion, except maybe for stormalong bay, which gets a huge amount of foot traffic from surrounding resorts and Epcot. The bottom line is the rules do state that the pools r for guests of that resort, but it's a rule to be enforced by the management of that resort. I have never even been approached by anyone for occupying and chair or swimming in another pool, except when entering stormalong bay from the promenade, and even then we showed our resort cards and was told it was OK to sit by the pool because it was not crowded, which we did not do cause we were just passing through. If the rules were so important then every resort would check for resort keys and each pool, they do not, so enjoy, but be respectful.

Hello. When i first went to WDW in 1982 we stayed and Fort W. campground. One of the things i remembered from that trip was when u r a guest at a Disney resort, u r a guest at all of them. That privileged was even promoted and it prevailed for years. I returned to the world in 1987 and in 1990 and 1992. I did not return until until i had a family of own in 2005. And still i believed that because i stayed on property that i was a guest at all resorts. We returned 2006, 2007, sept. 2008, dec. 2008, aug. 2009, dec. 2009, july 2010 and oct. 2010 and still enjoyed visiting various resorts. Sometimes for visiting, eating, resting, using restrooms and even swimming and still i had NO idea, until i found this site... and some people on this site( with way too much time on there hands) ruined part of the magic for me by quoting rules and regs and thees and thous and every other absurd technically. Not to debate, but i do enjoy an occasional nap at the AKL poolside or the boardwalk, beach club, contemp, poly or grand fl. and i even dip my feet into the pools from time to time. Funny, i never seem to disturb anyone, no one has ever asked me to leave and the pool police never come around and check my id. It seems only some select snobby people from this site seem to care, so to those people i can only ask... can i refill my 2008 resort mug during this year's stay?

Enjoy your stay at WDW, have fun, there are worse things in this world than pool-hopping.
MikeB

Upvote 0

sbkline

First of all, this is MY opinion, if u think ill of it...i don't care! I know all the pros and cons of pool hopping, and in heavy peak times i realize visiting guests may cause overcrowding and no chairs for the resident resort guest, however that is an extremely rare occasion, except maybe for stormalong bay, which gets a huge amount of foot traffic from surrounding resorts and Epcot. The bottom line is the rules do state that the pools r for guests of that resort, but it's a rule to be enforced by the management of that resort. I have never even been approached by anyone for occupying and chair or swimming in another pool, except when entering stormalong bay from the promenade, and even then we showed our resort cards and was told it was OK to sit by the pool because it was not crowded, which we did not do cause we were just passing through. If the rules were so important then every resort would check for resort keys and each pool, they do not, so enjoy, but be respectful.

Hello. When i first went to WDW in 1982 we stayed and Fort W. campground. One of the things i remembered from that trip was when u r a guest at a Disney resort, u r a guest at all of them. That privileged was even promoted and it prevailed for years. I returned to the world in 1987 and in 1990 and 1992. I did not return until until i had a family of own in 2005. And still i believed that because i stayed on property that i was a guest at all resorts. We returned 2006, 2007, sept. 2008, dec. 2008, aug. 2009, dec. 2009, july 2010 and oct. 2010 and still enjoyed visiting various resorts. Sometimes for visiting, eating, resting, using restrooms and even swimming and still i had NO idea, until i found this site... and some people on this site( with way too much time on there hands) ruined part of the magic for me by quoting rules and regs and thees and thous and every other absurd technically. Not to debate, but i do enjoy an occasional nap at the AKL poolside or the boardwalk, beach club, contemp, poly or grand fl. and i even dip my feet into the pools from time to time. Funny, i never seem to disturb anyone, no one has ever asked me to leave and the pool police never come around and check my id. It seems only some select snobby people from this site seem to care, so to those people i can only ask... can i refill my 2008 resort mug during this year's stay?

Enjoy your stay at WDW, have fun, there are worse things in this world than pool-hopping.
MikeB

I think there is going to be a heretic burning soon. I think I'll take advantage of these cool temperatures and pull up my lawnchair, get some hotdogs and marshmellows and enjoy the fire. :ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Nacho Libre

I too, love grits- Trails End and Chef Micky's have them.

I personally like the sitting area behind the fish and chips counter service in the UK section of EPCOT for watching illuminations- I'm sure this isn't in accordance with your plan but if you happen by, check it out.

Upvote 0

SilentWindODoom

Original Poster
Regarding the pool hopping, I was just trying to humurously make the point that not only is it against Disney rules (although as Monty said, they don't take great pains to enforce it), but that it is a hot topic around here that can make you alot of enemies if you do it. I'm not one of them, as I really don't care if you pool hop or not. I'm just answering your question and giving you fair warning of the attitude of many other posters here regarding that topic.

Yeah. I understand. I just wanted to explain that I planned on acting respectful as a pre-emptive strike to any animosity I might face from other posters.

My inner Midwesterner also finds it amusing when you hear the same Southern accents complaining how cold it is, when it is 60, and you just came out of sub zero.

I was couldn't believe it when my little second-cousin from Southern Florida got out of the pool of a house we were renting down there on a hot summer day with no breeze, and was shivering, complaining that he was cold. I'm now at the point of the year where I've gotten used to the winter, and I'm not even zippering my coat on most of the time through the 30-degree weather.

Surely someone with over 2100 posts would know about the "animosity" regarding pool hopping and mugs. Don't pool hop and get a new mug!

2,280 posts in General, News, and a whole lot adding and deleting points in the old gaming forum that seems to have disappeared. I've had about four posts in this forum before this topic, and in all those posts I've never before heard of "pool hopping".

Mugs, though, that's common sense. I didn't plan on bringing back old mugs. That's logically stealing. "Pool-hopping" doesn't actually hurt anyone if you're not going to be an idiot.

Were these magic grits?

Okay, seriously. I've seen that Whispering Canyon Cafe has grits, so my mom should be able to get them right in our hotel. Could you or one of the other Southerners tell me how their country gravy stands up?

Hello. When i first went to WDW in 1982 we stayed and Fort W. campground. One of the things i remembered from that trip was when u r a guest at a Disney resort, u r a guest at all of them. That privileged was even promoted and it prevailed for years. I returned to the world in 1987 and in 1990 and 1992. I did not return until until i had a family of own in 2005. And still i believed that because i stayed on property that i was a guest at all resorts. We returned 2006, 2007, sept. 2008, dec. 2008, aug. 2009, dec. 2009, july 2010 and oct. 2010 and still enjoyed visiting various resorts. Sometimes for visiting, eating, resting, using restrooms and even swimming and still i had NO idea, until i found this site... and some people on this site( with way too much time on there hands) ruined part of the magic for me by quoting rules and regs and thees and thous and every other absurd technically. Not to debate, but i do enjoy an occasional nap at the AKL poolside or the boardwalk, beach club, contemp, poly or grand fl. and i even dip my feet into the pools from time to time. Funny, i never seem to disturb anyone, no one has ever asked me to leave and the pool police never come around and check my id.

That's more the attitude I expected. I'm guessing the animosity largely springs from people who abuse the practice and do all the things I mentioned in my earlier post.

Upvote 0

LoriSue

Well, I realize this is not what you were asking, however, WL is my very favorite resort and one of the reasons is the pool. I really love it. Granted, it isn't Stormalong Bay at Yacht and Beach club but I like it a lot. The water flows from the lobby out to the pool and it is a nice spot if you go to the edge of the pool closest to the lodge. To me, time in the pool is time away from the parks but I don't mind giving up a little time for this one. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

sbkline

Not wanting to hijack the OP's thread, but I see no point in creating a new thread for this one question that can be answered so easily, so since it pertains to WL, I'll just ask it here. Besides, it may be of interest to the OP, too.

This is not only our first time at WL coming up, but also our first time outside the moderates. I know what kind of refrigerator the moderates have, but I wondered if the Deluxes might have a bigger, better fridge? The ones at POR and CSR did not have any freezer section in the fridge. Problem is, we load up a cooler with drinks and stuff to take with us on the road trip there and back. We have some big blue ice packs that we throw in to keep the stuff cold on the way there, but obviously, by the time we check out and go home, the ice packs are thawed and not cold anymore, so we have to make do with warm drinks from the cooler. It would be nice if there was a freezer compartment in the refrigerator so we could refreeze the ice packs for the trip home.

I really don't understand why they don't (at least the moderates that we have stayed at). Prior to staying on property, we used to stay at a Super 8 motel in Kissimmee for around 40 bucks a night. And THEY had a freezer compartment in their fridge. Yet, for 200 bucks a night (for the moderates), I can't even have that one small ammenity??? WTH???

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom