A few new DVC rumors

dreamfinder

Alright. I'll cave...just a little.

DVC? Yes. On RC plot? No.

That's all. :animwink:

Hmmm... Deluxe DVC campsites anyone?

If they are going to add DVC to the Grand Floridian and I do believe they are going to. I feel they should just use one of the existing buildings and convert it to DVC units. I don't think an expansion of the property is necessary.

Ditto. That is what they did in AKL Jambo house. Convert a single building. At most. There is no need to continue to flood the market with DVC units. I understand that people want to stay there as DVC on the cheap, but it ends up defeating the whole point of the DVC system. So many people want to stay in the high demand properties they buy low demand properties cheap, and then use the points to stay elsewhere. Look at the demand for OKW and SSR. Lots of time WDW ends up pushing those units as hotel rooms for dirt cheap. People have bought there simply to have cheaper points, that they then try to use at the more in demand units.

PhilharMagician

- Grand Floridian Spa is being removed and replaced with a 650 room DVC site.
I do not see enough room for 650 rooms where the spa and tennis courts are without straddling the monorial tracks. I do however like the idea of a GF DVC, but do not see room on the current site. The conversion of an existing building would be the easiest but the occupancy seems to always be high already. Now there were rumors a couple years back about a new resort on Seven Seas Lagoon via canal just to the North and West of the GF and it possibly being a DVC resort. The area is shown in SeaCastles second pic.

- River Country and the pavilion are being replaced with a DVC hotel.
This could be a great move depending on the ability to tie the theming between WL and Ft Wilderness. This is a dead zone at WDW and really needs to be cleaned up anyway. I would really enjoy having a walkway along the water between the resorts. Out of the 4 rumors I thing this has the most merrit.

- Saratoga is added a new section for more DVC rooms.
There is no room left at aroung SSR unless you start plopping building on the fairways, The resort is now even larger since the addition of the treehouses and I personally hope that there is no expansion planned ever for this resort.

- Washington DC (National Harbor) should have ground breaking next year.
As announce a while back, this should be a hybrid resort. I can't see this as a matter of if they build, but when will the construction start!

Slowjack

I live on the Gulf Coast and frequent a high rise on the beach a friend of the family owns not to mention the dozens of other beaches here.

I have never, ever seen a high rise come close to being anything more than a tall, rectangular prism building. No way.
You've never seen a non-rectangular high-rise on the Gulf Coast? Not even come close to being anything else? Never, ever?

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
When we were there in August there was no vacancy at the Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Beach Club or Contemporary.

I am not saying that on a single day or week all or almost all rooms are booked. I am saying from what I have read and been told is that the overall room rate does not justify building more non-DVC resorts.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I am not saying that on a single day or week all or almost all rooms are booked. I am saying from what I have read and been told is that the overall room rate does not justify building more non-DVC resorts.

Which is precisely why they're building the Art of Animation Resort......:rolleyes:

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Which is precisely why they're building the Art of Animation Resort......:rolleyes:

I agree with you 100%. The one area where WDW needs additional rooms if in the value suites. There are a lot of families with three young kids and they do not want to rent two value rooms.

_Scar

Original Poster
You've never seen a non-rectangular high-rise on the Gulf Coast? Not even come close to being anything else? Never, ever?

No.

It'd stick out in my mind if I did.

And I can only speak for myself when I say all those were sold out this past Aug. SorcMickey

Buried20KLeague

Disney must be making some serious cabbage with the whole DVC bit, because I cannot understand adding units in this economy, especially when--as I understand it--AKL, Saratoga, and maybe even some of BLT are still not completely sold.

Sure... That's all it is. I think I recall when BLT was finally announced that someone here figured out how much cash is brought in by selling those points... It was somewhere close to $700 MILLION. So... Build BLT, get $700 MILLION.

On top of that, guests pay a good amount of the maintenance costs every year on the building and amenities... So the DVC properties cost them much less each year than the resorts do to maintain.

Add to that the ability for them to buy back points with "right of first refusal", and then sell THOSE points at a profit AGAIN...

Add to THAT that Disney provides financing internally... Meaning everyone that needs financing is also paying Disney (not banks) interest for the life of the loan. Of course, they sell that to you saying that DVC doesn't hit your credit report. Because it's a private loan.

No one should be surprised there's talk of more DVC. They'll keep building them for a LONG time. It's not about filling them... It's about SICK profit for each building they put up, plus the yearly income to help offset operations in the form of maintenance fees. It's a great way to shore up profits for shareholders, and it's easy. I bet we see a new one every couple years for quite some time.

_Scar

Original Poster
Also, they may not be selling out of timeshares, but there's enough to book out BLT for 7-11 months in advance.

People aren't looking long-term.

s8film40

For those of you having a hard time envisioning a DVC resort between the GF and the wedding pavilion, I threw this together. Just a basic concept of how that space could be used for DVC. As you can see there is plenty of space.

captainkidd

No rooms in August or no rooms with a discount?

No rooms. We were staying at the Yacht Club and wanted to switch. To be fair, we needed a room for 2 weeks. The GF had availability on certain nights, but some nights were booked full. Same with Contemporary, BC and Boardwalk.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I am sure that we DVC members do cover at protion of the running of the common areas of the resorts that share desk, lobby, pool with a "paying resort." These includes WLV, BCV, BWV, BLT, and AKV. I am sure that when it comes down to the cost DVC pays for some cost that would be at one of these resorts reguardless of if DVC was there or not. As I have said other times, DVC is a cash cow for Disney.

Pioneer Hall

I am sure that we DVC members do cover at protion of the running of the common areas of the resorts that share desk, lobby, pool with a "paying resort." These includes WLV, BCV, BWV, BLT, and AKV. I am sure that when it comes down to the cost DVC pays for some cost that would be at one of these resorts reguardless of if DVC was there or not. As I have said other times, DVC is a cash cow for Disney.

DVC owners most certaintly pay for a portion of all services at the resorts. This is why the shares resorts (VWL, BWV, BCV, AKL) have higher dues. More facilities means more cost being pushed onto the owner of that property.

Buried20KLeague

DVC owners most certaintly pay for a portion of all services at the resorts. This is why the shares resorts (VWL, BWV, BCV, AKL) have higher dues. More facilities means more cost being pushed onto the owner of that property.

Any idea if they include staffing in those MF's? I figure they probably have come up with some kind of inventive way to include that, too.

It's reasonable to think that creative accounting could have all DVC properties and those attached operating at close to or at "zero expense".

raven

As I have said other times, DVC is a cash cow for Disney.

Very true.

The DVC in question is in the final stages of planning right now. Not sure how long it will take though before it's announced. And no, it's not a high rise.

Another DVC is being tossed around as well but it's still in the blue sky stage. I'm starting to believe that there will always be one on the back burner after another one opens. As long as people keep buying them, they will keep building them.

inluvwithbeast

Very true.

The DVC in question is in the final stages of planning right now. Not sure how long it will take though before it's announced. And no, it's not a high rise.

Another DVC is being tossed around as well but it's still in the blue sky stage. I'm starting to believe that there will always be one on the back burner after another one opens. As long as people keep buying them, they will keep building them.

"If they buy it... we will build"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom