A few new DVC rumors

_Scar

Original Poster
If there's any truth to it at all, they'd probably integrate the new spa into the Grand expansion. But God I hope this doesn't happen. Bay Lake Tower is ugly enough.

What's pretty then? :lookaroun

Raven, is this the last we've seen of River Country?

SeaCastle

There's a few possibilities I can think of for the site of a new DVC:

dvc_gf.jpg

Here's the Grand Floridian site. The spa takes up a relatively small footprint, and there isn't too much space to work with unless they expand into Seven Seas Lagoon, thus blocking the sightline to Cinderella Castle from the Wedding Pavilion. (Any development here would encroach on the Wedding pavilion.) Given that they would have to build a parking lot and support facilities, that really doesn't leave enough room for any sizable DVC resort.

dvc_west.jpg

First up is the area west of the Grand Floridian. Property development maps show that this area has the potential to be an extension to Seven Seas Lagoon. A canal would connect the lake and resort sites to Seven Seas Lagoon, and there is enough land for two to three hotels. A few months back, Disney renewed a permit with the Army Corps of Engineers, which permitted Disney to construct an extension to Seven Seas Lagoon within the next ten years, along with a few other projects. Whether or not it's a real possibility or not, I don't know. It would require a ton of earthwork, not to mention clearing many trees and vegetation.

dvc_stol.jpg

Next is the STOLPort area, which is also designated as a resort expansion site. A canal (between Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge) would connect a new lake to Bay Lake, and there's enough room for one or two hotels. There has been a few land clearings near this area as of late, but the land was most recently cleared in 2000 according to satellite photography.

dvc_persian.jpg

They could also build a DVC at this site, designated as a possible hotel site. It was at one point to be the site of The Persian, but is now known as the Boneyard, or Pluto Park. I would say it's unlikely they would build here anytime soon.

dvc_central.jpg

Here's my personal favorite. The former Venetian/Mediterranean site is designated as a future hotel/expansion site, despite being rumored to have unsuitable ground. Land was cleared here for monorail sightlines before. This is arguably the most valuable piece of hotel real estate at WDW, and there are two theories as to why nothing has been built here yet, one is due to "negative skin friction", a foundation engineering phenomena (thanks to Master Yoda for the information) and the other theory was that the Med was scrapped voluntarily by Disney, as it was supposed to be a twin five-star resort to the Grand Floridian, and seeing that the GF never reached that status, they lost the desire to build here.

Just north of that site is the area of land west of the Contemporary, formerly the site of the rumored "Kingdom Suites".

--

As an aside, there is land designated east of the Wide World of Sports for resort development. In this exact area, cleared trees are visible in the May 2010 satellite photographs. I'm not sure why they would want to build here due to its remote location (right across from Pop Century), but this may be the droid we are looking for.

redkoala245

I'm sorry but I doubt the GF rumor is true… They should not remove the spa. I like the name "GF Resort and Spa" better than "GF Resort" (if they remove the spa). GF shouldn't be DVC… If GF is DVC then I guess all of WDW should be DVC.
SeaCastle- I like you pictures of where the next DVC resorts should be. :)

SeaCastle

I just wanted to add that many of the lines in the images I provided were not exact in any respect, so they are more exaggerated than the map I have indicates. I did them pretty quickly on Paint so there's not much detail. :)

need2go2wdw

Everyone has their opinions about the DVC, I understand that, but as a very happy DVC member myself, I am always excited to hear rumors/news about new resorts or additions to existing resorts that I will be able to utilize with my membership. As for cluttering up the lagoon, a small DVC addition to the GF wouldn't aesthetically change things much, in my opinion. Look at the Villas at WL...it fit nice and snug there next to the existing WL building and I think it blends right in. I can see them adding a DVC "wing" to the GF in similar fashion, even if its a small addition, making it look simply like another section of beautiful white, victorian buildings with rust color roofs. Same with the Poly if they ever did that.

llrain

Is it really that hard to relocate or add a new spa either at the new building
or in a new part of this area?

I could see this happening....hum, lets get rid of a little spa that we profit
$$$$$ off of and replace it with a DVC bldg that stand to make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ from ......do the math

I'm calling BS on the removal of the spa. I just can't believe they would remove an amenity from the flagship resort on property.

captainkidd

If they want to build more DVC, fine. But not at the expense of other guest rooms or ammenities. And as someone else said, if they're going to build more DVC on the monorail line, they better plan to add more monorails.

IlikeDW

If they want to build more DVC, fine. But not at the expense of other guest rooms or ammenities. And as someone else said, if they're going to build more DVC on the monorail line, they better plan to add more monorails.

Would not necessarily be at the expense of other guest ammenities. They could integrate an upgraded Spa into the new DVC building and the GF guests would still have access to it.

optjay

Everyone has their opinions about the DVC, I understand that, but as a very happy DVC member myself, I am always excited to hear rumors/news about new resorts or additions to existing resorts that I will be able to utilize with my membership. As for cluttering up the lagoon, a small DVC addition to the GF wouldn't aesthetically change things much, in my opinion. Look at the Villas at WL...it fit nice and snug there next to the existing WL building and I think it blends right in. I can see them adding a DVC "wing" to the GF in similar fashion, even if its a small addition, making it look simply like another section of beautiful white, victorian buildings with rust color roofs. Same with the Poly if they ever did that.

Exactly!! I feel the same way. But, please no more high rise apt. building looking things!! And, please don't over build the water front!

wdwfan22

If they are going to add DVC to the Grand Floridian and I do believe they are going to. I feel they should just use one of the existing buildings and convert it to DVC units. I don't think an expansion of the property is necessary.

s8film40

After looking at the satellite photos the piece of land around the spa seems perfect. They could build all the way up to the entrance drive, the other way all the way to the water, and then all the way across to the wedding pavilion. It could completely encompass the monorail beam like the Grand Californian does in DL with open courtyards around the monorail beams. The new buildings would certainly have enough space to incorporate a new spa maybe even a bigger and better spa. If they wanted to they could even give the new resort a Spa theme. As far as parking they could easily build a small parking garage where the existing parking lot is and triple the available parking as well as build an elevated crosswalk across Floridian way, making it safer to cross the street. I could definitely see this happening.

Testtrack321

Disney must be thinking that the economy is going to get better if they're planning new resorts, they can't even sell out of BLT and some other locations.

I feel like these "rumors" from this site are just repostings of what others have speculated or claimed without backup.

_Scar

Original Poster
Exactly!! I feel the same way. But, please no more high rise apt. building looking things!! And, please don't over build the water front!

Bay Lake Tower?

Seriously, why is the hate here? It's like a futuristic Contemporary. It's not like it doesn't make sense at all- it clearly has a purpose.

With this attitude, do you hate Contemporary?

Disney must be thinking that the economy is going to get better if they're planning new resorts, they can't even sell out of BLT and some other locations.

I feel like these "rumors" from this site are just repostings of what others have speculated or claimed without backup.

Note that this site also reported a new DVC resort hotel near River Country and Screamscape.com.

Mr.EPCOT

The original Contemporary A-frame tower is a unique, notable piece of iconic architecture, and the Bay Lake Tower is your typical drab piece of concrete drivel you'd find housing condos in Miami or Hawai'i. They completely ignored the design aspects that make the Contemporary interesting and special and built something completely bland and pedestrian.

lilphil6487

Im a DVC member and as much as I love DVC for the fact that you can stay at places you normally couldnt afford, I do not think more DVC resorts is needed. Ok, I would love to see DVC at poly cause that is my favorite resort, but i think more affordable hotels should be built. Maybe another moderate resort, since we already got the art of animation resort coming along for value resorts. I would love to see a mediteranian (sorry i know i spelled it wrong) themed resort with stuff from greece, italy, etc. And like everyone else I just cant see them getting rid of the spa at GF unless they plan to build a nice new one, but its not necessary.

_Scar

Original Poster
Im a DVC member and as much as I love DVC for the fact that you can stay at places you normally couldnt afford, I do not think more DVC resorts is needed. Ok, I would love to see DVC at poly cause that is my favorite resort, but i think more affordable hotels should be built. Maybe another moderate resort, since we already got the art of animation resort coming along for value resorts. I would love to see a mediteranian (sorry i know i spelled it wrong) themed resort with stuff from greece, italy, etc. And like everyone else I just cant see them getting rid of the spa at GF unless they plan to build a nice new one, but its not necessary.

I paid moderate Disney prices for DVC deluxe studios through renting... :lookaroun

The original Contemporary A-frame tower is a unique, notable piece of iconic architecture, and the Bay Lake Tower is your typical drab piece of concrete drivel you'd find housing condos in Miami or Hawai'i. They completely ignored the design aspects that make the Contemporary interesting and special and built something completely bland and pedestrian.

Bay Lake Tower is typical? You don't think you're exaggerating? :shrug:

I know I do not post here often but I am in the construction industry and know the contractor that has been awarded the new DVC project.

Lets just say its on Bay lake....

TomHendricks

I know I do not post here often but I am in the construction industry and know the contractor that has been awarded the new DVC project.

Lets just say its on Bay lake....

They are going to raise the other part of the outside Contemporary and build the B. The Contemporary is the A, Bay Lake Tower is the C and this new DVC building will be the B, so we get A,B,C.

Mr.EPCOT

Bay Lake Tower is typical? You don't think you're exaggerating? :shrug:

Not exaggerating at all. The average Joe wouldn't identify that building (out of context) as anything special, certainly not identify it as something you'd see at Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom