A few new DVC rumors

_Scar

Original Poster
From Mouse Owners DVC News http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=401541

New DVC Project Yet To Be Announced
I received word today from a Disney insider about the following DVC Projects to be announced:
- Grand Floridian Spa is being removed and replaced with a 650 room DVC site
- River Country and the pavilion are being replaced with a DVC hotel
- Saratoga is added a new section for more DVC rooms
- Washington DC (National Harbor) should have ground breaking next year
Sorry Sal no Poly projects announced. At least not yet.

From What I've read here from another thread here, it appears River Country isn't going anywhere.

Interesting about the GF situation. Does the spa do bad or is DVC really this popular enough to evict them?

SeaBase86

I really don't see Disney's flagship resort giving up one of its major draws. But seeing is believing. Let's sit back and see what happens.

DonaldDoleWhip

If the GF spa/fitness center is being removed, they'll have to add a fitness center in the new complex. That fitness center is an included amenity for guests at both GF and Poly (the 2 most expensive resorts), so it would be unacceptable to not replace it.

NoChesterHester

From Mouse Owners DVC News http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=401541

From What I've read here from another thread here, it appears River Country isn't going anywhere.

Interesting about the GF situation. Does the spa do bad or is DVC really this popular enough to evict them?

I'm calling BS on the removal of the spa. I just can't believe they would remove an amenity from the flagship resort on property.

Kamikaze

They won't touch the spa. No chance.

Saratoga is gigantic. Can't see them making it even bigger.

Raven said no DVC at River Country.

As for the Washington DC project ... well, they already own the land. They will start building when they think it makes sense. If it makes sense next year, then yes, they will start then.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
When I took the DVC tour in May, I asked our CM about the DC project. I was informed that the land was bought, but that it was on the "very back burner" for the time being. As for the other rumors, we know River Country is probably out, and from my recollection of the spa area outside GF, I wouldn't think there would be enough land to build another resort. But I could be wrong there.....

NoChesterHester

When I took the DVC tour in May, I asked our CM about the DC project. I was informed that the land was bought, but that it was on the "very back burner" for the time being. As for the other rumors, we know River Country is probably out, and from my recollection of the spa area outside GF, I wouldn't think there would be enough land to build another resort. But I could be wrong there.....

One thing Disney has is an abundance of land. There is easily enough space for another resort.

I still go back to an earlier thread... is DVC really what we need more of? I guess they must still be doing well. You would think in this economy that would be a hard sell.

Kamikaze

One thing Disney has is an abundance of land. There is easily enough space for another resort.

I still go back to an earlier thread... is DVC really what we need more of? I guess they must still be doing well. You would think in this economy that would be a hard sell.

First, he meant that there isn't room on the actual spa site to build a resort. Not sure about that.

Second, DVC can be used as regular rented rooms when they aren't being used by members, so in effect they are just building nice hotel rooms.

NoChesterHester

First, he meant that there isn't room on the actual spa site to build a resort. Not sure about that.

Second, DVC can be used as regular rented rooms when they aren't being used by members, so in effect they are just building nice hotel rooms.

True. Globally the luxury hotel market has taken a nose dive however. Eventually this will catch up with them as well, if it hasn't already. The mid-service and budget hotel chains are holding their own.

It isn't like we are going to come flying out of this economy. It is going to be a slow climb and I believe spending habits of most have changed permanently. It would probably be more prudent to build moderate and value rooms (ala the Animation Suites).

wolf359

I don't know if it has anything to do with these rumors, but my recent online Disney Resort survey asked me an absolute ton of questions about my interest in spas, knowledge of them, likeliness to use them, reasons why we didn't use them, etc.

It struck me as odd since we stayed at All Star Music and the number of questions they asked about my actual stay was extremely small compared to how I was grilled about spas.

Perhaps they aren't being used very much, and they're looking to determine if it's a lack of interest, or a lack of knowledge about them. If Disney knows they aren't going to make enough money off of the spas, they'll put something that will bring in guests.

My question is, doesn't Grand Floridian have enough land nearby so it doesn't have to be an either/or proposition, DVC or spa?

trr1

besides isnt river country too small for a stand alone DVC being River Country is just 5 acres in size?

_Scar

Original Poster
besides isnt river country too small for a stand alone DVC being River Country is just 5 acres in size?

Well, the way I think they'd do it if anything would be to make river Country the pool area. Like a Stormalong Bay +2 acres.

And take notice that SSR also has a spa which is operated by the same people who operate GF's. Also, Vero Beach just got a new spa under a different company. Perhaps this is a hint that the spa operators want out?

yoyoflamingo

Considering Saratoga is still being sold (for only $90 a point, compared to much more at the others) I find it surprising they would add more there. But, interesting about more DVC resorts, raven.

Mr.EPCOT

If there's any truth to it at all, they'd probably integrate the new spa into the Grand expansion. But God I hope this doesn't happen. Bay Lake Tower is ugly enough.

aladdin2007

Why do I have a feeling they are just going to start building high rises all over the place like bay lake tower for more DVC? Its just going to really take away from the seven seas lagoon and bay lake, if thats the case which I know is not known yet at all but just saying.
DVC is fine I guess, although I would rather see the
Mediterranean finally be built and or Wilderness Junction but just not in high rise format. Bay Lake tower looks like Miami.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom