A Dinosaur on the Loose in AK

SewIn2Disney

I'm still a little confused. I thought he would be walking around interacting with people. Not just standing there for a meet and greet. Why must disney turn everything into a meet and greet?
Oh well. At least I'll be one of the lucky few who actually gets to see him.
Funny thing is, they keep saying that the impact the 50th Celebration will have on WDW is that WDW is getting something new in every park, but AK's something new is only staying for two months. Or is it that WDW is getting something new from every other park around the world?

I'm just a beacon of confusion today.....sorry.

raven

AEfx said:
I have to say, although it's become the new "cool" thing to say you like the theming of Dinoland and see it has some esoteric signifigance...I cringe when I walk through there. I like to pretend it doesn't exist. Primeva-whirl is one of the few rides at WDW I won't do anyway (I don't do spinning rides), so I just walk by on my way to Dinosaur.

It's not like ToT where making it look dilapitated adds to the charm - it might be a funny joke when someone asks if they built that park of AK on a parking lot to us, but that's what makes it esoteric. To anyone who doesn't have that knowledge it's just...cheap.

That said, I get the "joke" the Imagineers were trying to achieve. Dinoland USA was a cheap area of AK that got two off-the-shelf rides that really don't fit with anything else in the park, so they themed the area to match. That doesn't mean it's meaningful. /shrug

I just think they could have done...better, in terms of concept.

Dinoland is supposed to reflect the whimsical American roadside tourist spots of the late 50's and 60's (hence the parking lot feature). I think the Imagineers did a great job at replicating one of these spots. While others think it might look cheap, the idea behind it is that those places weren't made to look high-tech in the first place. This area was not a parking lot before. The imagineers made it look that way though. Every line, crack and patched-up cement area was purposely put there. Can you find the hidden Mikey in the pavent cracks? It's there! :wave:

imagineer boy

raven said:
Dinoland is supposed to reflect the whimsical American roadside tourist spots of the late 50's and 60's (hence the parking lot feature). I think the Imagineers did a great job at replicating one of these spots. While others think it might look cheap, the idea behind it is that those places weren't made to look high-tech in the first place. This area was not a parking lot before. The imagineers made it look that way though. Every line, crack and patched-up cement area was purposely put there. Can you find the hidden Mikey in the pavent cracks? It's there! :wave:

I agree! Dinoland has great themeing. I do love the way they made it look like an old parking lot with the cars, the Chester and Hester shop, Resturauntasaurous, its just great! Dinorama is cheap and I can't belive Pressler thought that would actually draw in huge crowds to AK. But there still is some good themeing like the old parking lot look, and the coaster looking temporary. But it is a fun coaster none the less.

I think we should all give Dinoland some slack. Its supposed to look cheesy and cheap! They didn't actually make it that way. So come on and give it some slack!

CTXRover

SewIn2Disney said:
I'm still a little confused. I thought he would be walking around interacting with people. Not just standing there for a meet and greet. Why must disney turn everything into a meet and greet?
Oh well. At least I'll be one of the lucky few who actually gets to see him.
Funny thing is, they keep saying that the impact the 50th Celebration will have on WDW is that WDW is getting something new in every park, but AK's something new is only staying for two months. Or is it that WDW is getting something new from every other park around the world?

I'm just a beacon of confusion today.....sorry.

People are going to want pictures with him. Once they see he can actually "sign" too, they are going to want that also. With the crowds that circle through DinoLand on an average summer day, they must create some sense of order or things could get out of hand, Lucky could get damaged, or worse, somebody could get hurt and this type of new interaction could come to a screeching halt. My understanding is that Lucky will walk out from the backstage area. This will surely get everyone's attention for sure. After a short walk, he will "park" himself across from DinoRama to allow for an orderly interaction with guests. His ability to display multiple emotions is quite impressive and will undoubetedly create a sense of wonder among all guests. After that, he will walk back.

I think if/when the park has a slow day, you could see Lucky walk around a bit more, as long as they can maintain order around him. The best chance for that is during his first month there. Otherwise, once the summer crowds hit, his free-lance walking around may be limited.

As for AK's something "new" for the 50th, that really comes at the end of this year/early next year with Everest. Even the HCOE banners show the Tree of Life and Everest in the background, but no mention of Lucky (as compared to the other banners for all the parks that mention the respective new show or attraction for that park) For now though since Everest isn't ready, Lucky has become the center focus for the "something new" for AK.

bryon1

As for finding two different web sites that almost are plagerizing each other and a disney company produced "fact sheet" told us it works but, not "how it works".
When "scream" or "laugh" or the disney company publishes a photo vewing inside showing the crate were the opperator doesnt sit then I'll eat a full plate crow.

Why would I stick my neck out a say how lucky works if it wasnt anything close to what what has been "published?" Does one think especailly with the company "fact sheet" that they would "spoil the magic" on how it "actually" works after spending such an investment..."pay no attention to the man in cart".

Pongo

CTXRover said:
As for AK's something "new" for the 50th, that really comes at the end of this year/early next year with Everest. Even the HCOE banners show the Tree of Life and Everest in the background, but no mention of Lucky (as compared to the other banners for all the parks that mention the respective new show or attraction for that park) For now though since Everest isn't ready, Lucky has become the center focus for the "something new" for AK.

Also, the giant 50th decals on all the bus and monorail windows show Everest as the "something new." It has the train going down the mountain with some people sitting in it with their hands up.

SewIn2Disney

CTXRover said:
People are going to want pictures with him. Once they see he can actually "sign" too, they are going to want that also. With the crowds that circle through DinoLand on an average summer day, they must create some sense of order or things could get out of hand, Lucky could get damaged, or worse, somebody could get hurt and this type of new interaction could come to a screeching halt. My understanding is that Lucky will walk out from the backstage area. This will surely get everyone's attention for sure. After a short walk, he will "park" himself across from DinoRama to allow for an orderly interaction with guests. His ability to display multiple emotions is quite impressive and will undoubetedly create a sense of wonder among all guests. After that, he will walk back.

I think if/when the park has a slow day, you could see Lucky walk around a bit more, as long as they can maintain order around him. The best chance for that is during his first month there. Otherwise, once the summer crowds hit, his free-lance walking around may be limited.

Got it.....thanks for clearing it up....I hope it just dosen't turn into a free for all, and Lucky gets damaged. From what I've learned/read on here he seems like quite an expensive yet magical "character". I can't wait to see him in person! Less then 70 days!

Pix E. Dust

Could someone please post a link to an article or website that says that there is a small man controlling Lucky by sitting in the flower cart? That mental image is hilarious! Everything that I have read has said that the flower cart simply houses electronic gear.

BoyXE

crazycalf said:
Nope, I think it retro cool too.

Add me into the mix. I know people hate it but I laughed and smiled at all of the in-jokes there and thought it was a great way to bring a little flash to the rather serious tone of AK (which I also love). The remnants of a parking lot and the hillbilly music playing throughout are my favorites. And the billboards. We're DEFINITELY in the minority on this one, so we're taking a big step coming out of the DinoRama closet, especially on these boards! :lookaroun :zipit: :lookaroun

MissM

Pix E. Dust said:
Could someone please post a link to an article or website that says that there is a small man controlling Lucky by sitting in the flower cart? That mental image is hilarious! Everything that I have read has said that the flower cart simply houses electronic gear.
Ali
Yeah, I agree. A source would be really helpful.
Thanks,
-m

I was at AK yesterday and was able to see lucky for the 1st time. And apparently he had some type of a technical difficulty, He was chewing on his play toy as they introduce it and his head just went and looked straight down at the ground and didnt come back up, then chester and hester played it off that he was looking at his shadow on the ground. Thats when all the CM's around him called over some type of supervisor person, and did some things with some buttons on the side of the cart and he came back to life...

On a side note, the CM that played Chester is or use to be one of the comics from the comedy club over at PI.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom