A Dinosaur on the Loose in AK

CaliSurfer182

Wow that is awesome that Lucky is at WDW now, I can't wait to see it. Once I ride Soarin' and see Lucky I will be complete.........well at least until they open up EE.

napnet

Lucky is half the reason were going in June! I think it will be amazing to see him walk around like that. Either way I hope they might make more of these. I am sure this is the first so they are just testing him out at the different parks. Wonder how he will handle the Florida weather compaired to Cali...

MissM

I thought I had heard Lucky referred to as "her" but if you watch the clip on the Disneyland site Lucky is referred to as "he." (But only in the video; in the text it's genderless.)

Imagineering Tests “Dino-mite” Technology

This summer, Walt Disney Imagineering began testing a major advancement in Audio-Animatronics® technology with a Dinosaur (named "Lucky") in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot of Disney's California Adventure. For the first time since Disney developed Audio Animatronics figures 40 years ago, a walking figure can move freely and independently, and interact with guests close up. Fortunate guests got to meet Lucky during several special appearances.

Lucky is the latest innovation of the "Living Characters" initiative of Walt Disney Imagineering. The focus is on creating increasingly life-like characters capable of engaging in personalized experiences with our guests. "This is an important milestone in creativity and technology that brings Disney characters to life in a whole new way," said Bruce Vaughn, VP, Research & Development, Walt Disney Imagineering.

The newest Audio Animatronics figure is a high-end system of computers, animation software, electronic actuators, wrapped in great storytelling and amazing creativity. The result is an experience WDI believes is as revolutionary as the technology that enabled the Mr. Lincoln figure to stand up 39 years ago.

Due to the nature of the "play test," there was no set schedule of operating times and those Guests in the area during the tests had the fortunate experience of seeing this new creature under development. Lucky's visit to Disney's California Adventure was only a test and Lucky has now returned to Walt Disney Imagineering for a special assignment in technology transfer. When Lucky decides to make a return visit, we'll let you know!

So...guess Lucky is a he. :)
-m

SpenceMan01

NADisney said:
The Flower Cart is where the driver sits and most of the computer/mechinizimes are.

Wrong. There is no driver in the cart, Lucky is controlled by remote. You were, however, correct with the cart housing the computer and animatronic mechanisms.

LSUxStitch

Wow, Disney has definitley taken a huge step away from the talking Trash Can and Tree. I cannot wait to see LUCKY :) that thing is amazing.

netenyahoo

I thought the cart held the big batteries to power Lucky too.

Lucky being at AK I think is more or less a test to see how well the AA holds up on a daily basis and how well it is received.

dolbyman

ahh it's a shame .. we were looking out for lucky 2 weeks ago .. but a CM told us he won't be out till middel of April :(

Glasgow

I think Dino-land is well done, but I don't think it belongs at AK. It gives me an overall feeling of "cheapness", which I think clashes with the general feeling at WDW. Just my humble opinion :)

BTW - thanks for the info Yen_sid

barnum42

Glasgow said:
I think Dino-land is well done, but I don't think it belongs at AK. It gives me an overall feeling of "cheapness", which I think clashes with the general feeling at WDW. Just my humble opinion :)
I agree - it's a recreation of the dirty, run down carnivals that Walt was sick of and wanted to create an alternative to when he came up with Disneyland.

(OK, so thanks to the hard work of the custodial crews it's not exactly dirty, but you know what I mean ;) )

Pix E. Dust

First of all, thanks so much for the info about Lucky as well as the photo! I can't wait to see her/him/it in person!!

I also wanted to say that I agree with the people who think DinoLand USA is retro-cool. I haven't been there yet so I might change my mind but I like the carnival feel. Apparently, there are a lot of details there that people overlook thinking that it is just cheap and passing it by.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom