A Dinosaur on the Loose in AK

I visited AK last month for the first time since I last went the year it opened.
I was shocked really I was when I saw the Chester & Hester's Dino-Rama.
Had I walked out of Disney to a local funfair?

Can anyone tell me what was there before they added this, because the ground appeared to be old with faded parking spaces on it and how does the road with road signs that circles it have anything to do with dinosaurs.

It gave me the impression that this used to be a backstage access road and car park and that they had just set the rides up over a weekend.
Surely this can't be true?

Pix E. Dust

DisneyFan_uk said:
Can anyone tell me what was there before they added this, because the ground appeared to be old with faded parking spaces on it and how does the road with road signs that circles it have anything to do with dinosaurs.

:eek: The faded parking spaces are part of the theming. It's supposed to be like a tacky travelling carnival that sets up in a parking lot of "any town" USA. At least that's what I thought. Please...correct me if I'm wrong.

barnum42

Pix E. Dust said:
:eek: The faded parking spaces are part of the theming. It's supposed to be like a tacky travelling carnival that sets up in a parking lot of "any town" USA. At least that's what I thought. Please...correct me if I'm wrong.
That's part of the problem many people have with it - a superbly themed tacky venue ends up looking like a tacky venue.

CTXRover

DisneyFan_uk said:
I visited AK last month for the first time since I last went the year it opened.
I was shocked really I was when I saw the Chester & Hester's Dino-Rama.
Had I walked out of Disney to a local funfair?

It gave me the impression that this used to be a backstage access road and car park and that they had just set the rides up over a weekend.
Surely this can't be true?

Sometimes I think they "themed" this area too well :lol: (and I do use the word "themed" loosely even though I've come to like the DinoRama area on a certain level)

When AK first opened and before Dinorama was there, it was just a small tent set up that housed some dinosaur bones and the rest was trees. Nothing fancy.

The road that is there and fake parking lot were all built when Dinorama was built, including the painting of the faded parking lines.

The road through that area is actually quite important to the theme and story of the land as a dinosaur bone excavation site in anytown USA (somewhere out west though). Along the sides of the road are signs that indicate its supposed to be a "real" road (its route something or other). Here is the backstory, as I understand it, if you are interested: The story goes that Chester and Hester owned a gas station before the Dino Institute set up shop to excavate dino bones (the area where the child's Boneyard play area is with the workers camp being what is now restaurantosauras). In response to visitors coming to check out the excavation site, they intially turned their gas station into a "roadside" gift shop. The parking lot being of course where DinoRama now sits. However, once word got out about the Dino Institue and the creation of the "Time Rover" (there are even newspaper articles about this invention along the walls in Restaurantosauras) the number of tourists to the area fluorished. Chester and Hester not being content in losing the tourist's cash, set up a carnival in their nearby parking lot, hence DinoRama.

Unfortunately, I think this storyline gets lost or never even realized by most. One of the better ways this story is conveyed is a billboard on the side of Chester and Hester's gift shop. It shows the Dino Institute and what they have to offer. However, painted over it is an ad to visit the "real" attraction, Chester and Hester's DinoRama. Its off on the side though and probably never noticed by most. You aren't the first who I've heard wonder if they really just set it up on top of an old parking lot. In reality, its all part of the theme.

CTXRover

Yensid, cool photo of Lucky at Dinoland btw. I see they've redressed his cart, as well as the cloths on Lucky's back, to match the DinoRama theme.

DisneyGal126

I never thought of Dinoland like that... seeing that I am 20 years old and have no children I go to Dinoland for 2 things... Dinosaur and Primeval Whirl!!! Two very awesome rides IMO!:D

AEfx

I have to say, although it's become the new "cool" thing to say you like the theming of Dinoland and see it has some esoteric signifigance...I cringe when I walk through there. I like to pretend it doesn't exist. Primeva-whirl is one of the few rides at WDW I won't do anyway (I don't do spinning rides), so I just walk by on my way to Dinosaur.

It's not like ToT where making it look dilapitated adds to the charm - it might be a funny joke when someone asks if they built that park of AK on a parking lot to us, but that's what makes it esoteric. To anyone who doesn't have that knowledge it's just...cheap.

That said, I get the "joke" the Imagineers were trying to achieve. Dinoland USA was a cheap area of AK that got two off-the-shelf rides that really don't fit with anything else in the park, so they themed the area to match. That doesn't mean it's meaningful. /shrug

I just think they could have done...better, in terms of concept.

It's cool that others enjoy it - while they are lining up for Primeval-Whirl, I'm doing Dinosaur over and over. :D

AEfx

bryon1

"Lucky" is named after what he can do with his "autograph"...I'll leave that for everyone to go ask for it, so you can have the surprise.

As for not having anyone in the cart...I must correct. There IS an operator in the cart with 2 joysticks....One for movement and the other for head/neck movement...There are a series of t.v. screens for the op. to go up and say hi to everyone. The person in the red jacket assists the op. and guests with the autograph process...In testing at D/L they (WDI) were able to get lucky to sneak up behind guests and "put" Luckys mouth inside the pop corn box.

The "red jacket" with the mic (hmmm) "talks to the audience" but, what hes doing is calling out to the op. who Lucky will go and see....

Hope this clears up some of the confusion. If you get a chance to see lucky, you better take it. Its a sight to see.

bryon1 said:
"Lucky" is named after what he can do with his "autograph"...I'll leave that for everyone to go ask for it, so you can have the surprise.

As for not having anyone in the cart...I must correct. There IS an operator in the cart with 2 joysticks....One for movement and the other for head/neck movement...There are a series of t.v. screens for the op. to go up and say hi to everyone. The person in the red jacket assists the op. and guests with the autograph process...In testing at D/L they (WDI) were able to get lucky to sneak up behind guests and "put" Luckys mouth inside the pop corn box.

The "red jacket" with the mic (hmmm) "talks to the audience" but, what hes doing is calling out to the op. who Lucky will go and see....

Hope this clears up some of the confusion. If you get a chance to see lucky, you better take it. Its a sight to see.

Lucky is sweeeeet

MissM

PolarJim said:
... have people control her (or him....we don't have a conformation a dino-hoo hoo dilly yet :lol: )
Actually, yeah, I posted here that in the Imagineer quicktime movie on the Disneyland website, Lucky is referred to as "he" throughout. The video is worth watching as it shows the fun interaction.

Lucky is a boy.
-m

SpenceMan01 said:
Wrong. There is no driver in the cart, Lucky is controlled by remote. You were, however, correct with the cart housing the computer and animatronic mechanisms.

Luck isn't as cute as I'd expected.

And, I may be being really stupid but I thought the point in lucky was he thought for himself and didn't need a "remote control". I thought the only commands for him were when to retreat and for walking him out or is that wrong?

Pix E. Dust

Julius & Boobah said:
And, I may be being really stupid but I thought the point in lucky was he thought for himself and didn't need a "remote control". I thought the only commands for him were when to retreat and for walking him out or is that wrong?

Thought for himself? I don't think even Disney has cornered that market yet.

Yen_Sid1

Original Poster
PolarJim said:
I was able to pull this from I believe it was laughingplace.com

"Lucky stands about eight feet tall, and his head and neck can lift almost straight up. He walks on his two back legs and pulls a very large cart of silk flowers. Lucky and Chandler interact, but Chandler does not operate the character—Lucky is controlled by two discreet operators on the sidelines. Lucky grunts, groans and whines in reaction to Chandler's comments and events around him. He can blow his nose, wink, smile, and look around."

To run lucky, you're gunna need some good sized motors to run teh hydraulic pumps, oil accumulators, large batteries, valves, hoses etc. Not to mention noise dampening material so you don't hear the hum of the motors pumping oil (my dad used to make them...they can be quite noisy!) I think it would be much easier to have people control her (or him....we don't have a conformation a dino-hoo hoo dilly yet :lol: ) Anyway, being in the engineering field and having a parent who taught me about hydraulics since I was a weeeee lad, lucky is amazing!

Except that Lucky is all electric, electric actuators etc. and also very quiet. But he does have his own sound system. His theme song is "Dinosaur"

bryon1

Hate to tell you this but, Laughingplace is wrong...got to see the insides and watch him perform.

Why would I go out on the line and post all the inside details of how it works if someone else posts is operated by two remote cast members....Do you think that any theme park would let something like Lucky, just his pure weight, size, roam free off of "remote operation" I dont think so. Lets not even think of the logistic nightmare if he sprung a leak in front of the public with hydrolics...Lucky works off of electric power.

Know what...this is a growing problem with websites and fan sites now a days....A person "posts information" and then it becomes GODS WORD without any indepth research and refrences backing the information. Thats the problem with "Mice" or "Hill" websites they "publish" information without securing any real facts. You could even say my information is the same thing. However, I posted details versus hear-say and rummor...

MissM

I'm pretty sure that Laughingplace is very incorrect on their statements in how Lucky is controlled. The "cart" is not for people, but rather power supply and computers.

The first fully autonomous, walking audio-animatronic figure capable of interacting with guests inside and outside of a theme park environment,Lucky the Dinosaur is a milestone in themed entertainment technology. This audio-animatronic figure represents both the creative development and blending of numerous technologies. From an ultra-light composite skeleton and the unique application of the electric actuators, to a new skin technology and sophisticated software, is truly cutting edge. He is completely self-contained and is operated by a single cast member who controls forty animated functions. All of the controlled movements can seamlessly blend with numerous pre-programmed show sequences at the press of a button. Guests can interact with Lucky as he breathes, walks, snorts, winks and even burps in response to his environment. Lucky represents a bold step forward in bringing themed show systems within arms reach of smiling guests.
-source (.pdf)
Other sources say there are two controllers:
Lucky and Chandler interact, but Chandler does not operate the character—Lucky is controlled by two discreet operators on the sidelines.
-source
The head is amazingly lifelike, and is controlled by two operators in the crowd. As you would expect the robo-dino's personality (created by its controllers) is childlike.
-source

Everything I've read repeats that the cart is full of batteries to power the massive Lucky AA along with computers and receivers for his control.
-m

Yen_Sid1 said:
Except that Lucky is all electric, electric actuators etc. and also very quiet. But he does have his own sound system. His theme song is "Dinosaur"

Touche' :animwink: Hope I get to see him or his next generation someday

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom