A celebrity offered $100,000 + to stay in the castle suite.....

radiohost

Original Poster
My question is after the promotion is over what are they going to do with the Suite?

I guess the only way I will is if I win the contest

Now lets see........

1 trip every few years

+

Only a week at a time

=

I have a better chance getting struck by lighting every day for a week then a chance to win a night in the castle.....

So I guess Ill start dreaming about somthin else...

Thanks disney

Kamikaze

I really don't understand your point.

First you say give the money to charity, then you say use the money for "cost"( of doing business)/"upkeep"/"peeling paint"(maintenance). :shrug:

Maybe it's a National Security issue.
whistle.gif

It was two separate points, sorry I didn't differentiate better.

WDWRLD

One guy was selected as an AP writer to stay in the suite, but Disney could not give him a free night stay without it looking like a media buy-off, so it was required that Disney charge him for the night...

Once...

For an AP writer...

I think the one I heard was either from NBC or MSNBC.

joanna71985

I think it is a great idea to let Make-a-Wish and Give Kids the World families in the suite after the YOAMD is over. But how would you decide which families get to stay? I could only imagine how many kids would want their dream to be in the castle suite.

CThaddeus

Last year during my college program I was told the following by a dream squad member.....

"Only guests from North America and The UK can win a stay at the castle suite...."

I asked about guests from countrys in Latin America or the Middle East...she said..."NOPE"

Radiohost:cool:

During the Keys to the Kingdom tour, it was mentioned that if a country imposed a tax upon its citizen for winning this prize, Disney could not give it to them. Disney does not want to place a monetary value on the prizes, because if they do, then everyone would have to pay taxes on them. Unfortunately, some countries still require that if a prize is given, a value must be associated and a tax must be paid. So, rather than deal with that whole situation, Disney won't give them a prize worth more than the limit a specific country has set. They will ask the winner numerous questions to ascertain ahead of time whether or not they can offer them the Dream Suite. If they don't qualify, Disney gives them another prize and the guest is never any the wiser that they might have gotten the Suite.
Again, this is what was told to us. Whether it is accurate, I don't know, but it certainly sounded reasonable.

Rob562

During the Keys to the Kingdom tour, it was mentioned that if a country imposed a tax upon its citizen for winning this prize, Disney could not give it to them. Disney does not want to place a monetary value on the prizes, because if they do, then everyone would have to pay taxes on them. Unfortunately, some countries still require that if a prize is given, a value must be associated and a tax must be paid. So, rather than deal with that whole situation, Disney won't give them a prize worth more than the limit a specific country has set. They will ask the winner numerous questions to ascertain ahead of time whether or not they can offer them the Dream Suite. If they don't qualify, Disney gives them another prize and the guest is never any the wiser that they might have gotten the Suite.
Again, this is what was told to us. Whether it is accurate, I don't know, but it certainly sounded reasonable.

Actually, Disney *has* put a value on the Suite: $587. It's right in the rules:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/disneyparks/en_US/index?name=YOMDGiveAwayRules08Page
About 3/4 of the way down.

The Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of every prize must be listed for any contest in the U.S. I assume it's some sort of legal requirement.
But, it's most likely listed as being so cheap so that Disney doesn't have to issue an IRS tax form for it. (All prizes under $600 don't get tax forms) Of course, that doesn't mean that you DON'T have to pay taxes on it... Legally, you're still supposed to claim it as income. But no tax forms being submitted means that there's no paper trail for the IRS, and they don't know that you won it.

It's kind of like the "Use Tax" on my state taxes here in Massachusetts. If I go to New Hampshire (where there's no sales tax) and buy a computer and bring it home to Mass, I'm supposed to claim that on my yearly taxes and pay the 5% tax on it. But even though it's the law, does that mean that anyone in Mass actually DOES that? Of course not... There's no way for Mass to know that you bought that computer.

Of course, after the contest is over, if Disney decides to start charging for it, they could always decide to re-value the price to stay there... ;)

As for eligibility for prizes, it's stated like this in the rules:
YOAMD Rules said:
1. Eligibility Void for persons who are not legal residents of the fifty (50) United States ("U.S."), District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom ("UK"), Australia, Japan and where prohibited by law.

My guess is that if the winner can prove that winning such a prize isn't against the law in their home country, they can win the prize. As for an ineligible winner getting something else instead, I don't know. The rules are the same for the Suite as they are for Mickey Ears. So substitution wouldn't fix anything.

-Rob

CThaddeus

My guess is that if the winner can prove that winning such a prize isn't against the law in their home country, they can win the prize. As for an ineligible winner getting something else instead, I don't know. The rules are the same for the Suite as they are for Mickey Ears. So substitution wouldn't fix anything.

The rules might be the same, but Disney doesn't ask any questions to those winning the Mickey Ears or other small prizes. So, once they determine a person is from an ineligible country, I doubt that would stop them from giving the person a smaller prize. Kind of a don't ask don't tell thing, I'm guessing. The Dream Suite, however, is a much more public kind of thing that Disney tends to flaunt a bit - using the winner(s) in the parade, publicity photos, etc.
As for the tax situation, you may be right. Since a value is applied to the Dream Suite, though, it could be that instead the reverse of what I said is true - since a value has been assessed (even if it is below our taxable limit), those from countries where taxes would be required on larger, more high-profile prizes are excluded so that the citizens don't have to pay anything. Obviously, I really don't know...I'm just basing my ideas here off what the guide told us. It is a shame not everyone can win the big prize, though.

lewisc

One rumor was Disney was going to offer nights at the suite to charities, so charities could auction it off, or possibly use it for a raffle prize.

One rumor was Disney was going to offer nights at the suite to charities, so charities could auction it off, or possibly use it for a raffle prize.

This idea seems pretty awesome. Giving the suite to chairity for kids to eather stay or sell off days to general public. The Charities get moneys and the winning bidder gets a stay in the castle with the knowledge of knowing they donated to good causes.

That said I keep hoping I'll get lucky with a stay in the castle. it looks so lovely. Though being at disney is a dream within itself so I dont really mind eather way.

lpet11984

I'm sure it will still get it's use after YoaMD is done-- too large of an investment for only 2 years use. How it is used is another question...I'm leaning toward the charities though.

scarpiapiano

I'd hate to think that the celebrity was somone I liked so until I hear differently I think that the "celebrity" was either Omarosa or Danielle Danato from Big Brother 8.:lol:

DizneyPryncess

Rats....there goes my dream of hitting the powerball and offering Disney money for a night in that suite, haha.

Maybe someday, after the year of a million dreams, it will be available to pay for. However I still would need to hit the lottery first =)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom