A bit confused about passport/identification requirements

Kerby626

I have sailed numerous times using my birth certificate with my maiden name and state issued with my married name with no issues

Last edited:

tk924

We will be traveling with certified photocopies of our birth certificates from our counties register of deeds and our state DL. We have been told this is sufficient to cruise.

Disneyfalcon

We ordered a copy of her birth certificate through Vitalcheck last night actually.

So here's my new question. We're still going to try and get her a new passport to reflect the name change, but if it doesn't come in time due to the computer glitch their system is having we have her State issued driver's license (which reflects her name change) and a certified copy of her State issued birth certificate. Will this suffice with the birth certificate having her maiden name and her drivers license having her new name (my last name and her old last name as her middle name now)? Hopefully the passport will get here in time and none of this will be an issue but want to make sure we dont get to the port and aren't allowed on the boat!

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Great!

Yes, because birth certificates obviously have maiden names, it's not a problem when the drivers license has a new last name. That happens all the time as Christina referenced. If you want to cover all your bases, bring a copy of your marriage certificate as well. :)

Tom

Beta Return
Great!

Yes, because birth certificates obviously have maiden names, it's not a problem when the drivers license has a new last name. That happens all the time as Christina referenced. If you want to cover all your bases, bring a copy of your marriage certificate as well. :)

That's what I was going to suggest. It's the go-between.

Bolna

I have to say that I am very intrigued by all the birth certificate talk you have! We don't have birth certificates here in Germany! At least not in the form of a document you can carry on a cruise ship. The only thing that counts is the public record of your birth.

PolynesianPrincess

I used my regular drivers license and birth certificate on the 2 cruises we have gone on with no problems at all. I am going to have my passport reissued because I cannot find it for the life of me :( We cruise in November, 88 days from today so hopefully I can get it in time. I'm going over on Saturday to get it done.

tk924

Sorry to derail this thread, but I have a question.

Where / how many times do you have to show your papers?...um, I mean documents. :bookworm:

Phonedave

Sorry to derail this thread, but I have a question.

Where / how many times do you have to show your papers?...um, I mean documents. :bookworm:

If I recall, just once, at check in. I can't remember if they check ID at the security screening, which comes FIRST, as you enter the terminal. But all the "major" checking happens at the counter when you check in and get your boarding group number.

-dave

Phonedave

That's what I was going to suggest. It's the go-between.

There was some special on TV (a number of times) that was about I believe the Oasis of the Seas. There was a whole section on the boarding process, and there was a couple that was just married, but her maiden name was on some paper work and her married was on another and they had to get it all sorted out and acquire some other document (most likely the marriage license) before they would let them board.

On a semi-related note, when my wife got divorced from her first husband, she never changed her name back to her maiden name. When we got married she changed it to my name. We never had a problem with any travel related stuff (passports, plane tickets, customs, etc) but just try and get a bank to understand. We bought out house before we were married and the mortgage had her old married name on it and we wanted to change it after we got married. It was like the inquisition at the bank. Paperwork all over the place.

-dave

atrus79

Hey everyone ... just as an update in regards to passport delays that I mentioned earlier in the thread. So my wife was informed last week, that due to the delays, she may not recieve her passport for our trip in 44 days (now 37!). I had her basically harass the Dept of State everyday requesting updates, becasue a passport is so much easier than providing multiple forms of documentation. Anyway, today in the mail, there was her passport!!! We were told 40 days would not be enough time to complete the process, but ended up getting it 7 days later ... so that tells me that if you have an outstanding passport application ... call and pester the department of state and you'll get it in time! :)

sweetpee_1993

I have to say that I am very intrigued by all the birth certificate talk you have! We don't have birth certificates here in Germany! At least not in the form of a document you can carry on a cruise ship. The only thing that counts is the public record of your birth.
Its an official paper document issued by Department of Vital Statistics in the state of birth. It's used as proof of identity and naturalized citizenship. I keep ours filed away and hate taking them anywhere because they're so important to have. For things like obtaining a drivers license, registering for school, getting a passport, etc. All things that without the official paper you cannot get.

sweetpee_1993

I've had an interesting passport situation to figure out recently. My boys' passports expire in February. DH is in talks w/his employer to go work in Canada for a year. If that happens we're all going which requires visas for all of us. Guess what? The passports must be valid for the entire time a visa is issued for. We can't get the visas then renew the passports at the US consulate in Calgary. The fully valid passports must be present for the visas to be issued. If all this is going to have to happen quickly what do you do?!?! ((I may or may not have been in a panic!)) There's a Consular passport office here in Houston. I have to obtain documentation from hubby's employer that they're applying for visas and/or sending us out of the country in the next 2-4 weeks. Only with proof if time constraints, I make an appointment at the passport office. Go, pay the renewal + rush fees, complete all required paperwork, and the passports should be in-hand within 8 business days. Then the visas can be applied for by DHs employer. I think those maybe can be rushed as well but I'm not sure.

There are rush options in case you must leave the country on short notice (ie. death of family member, etc). We're talking even shorter than the 8 days. It *can* be done for emergencies. Gotta go thru 1 of the 28 passport offices, tho.

Also, read an article recently on Yahoo that said some countries will deny you entry even with a passport that expires under 6 months into the future. I didn't even know you could apply for a renewal more than 6 months out from expiration. You can and probably should! I know I wish I had already done so for my boys because it would've saved me the rush fee x 2 ($120).

atrus79

Update? For a name change?

I would think the same as a renewal. Apply for the change via your post office ASAP.

Agreed ... @StarBurst it is identical to a renewal, but there are two options ... if you've been married within a year of your renewal, they just 'update' your exisitng passport number. If it's been more than a year since you were married, they renew the passport and set a new passport number and expiration date.

Either way you'll have to provide your old passport, marriage certificate (an official copy with seal ... copies will not be considered valid) and about $120 bucks. If you go to your local government office (usually county office), they will helop you put everything together and it is usually cheaper ... according to the Dept of State website, it's suppopsed to cost around $160 bucks.

sweetpee_1993

Agreed ... @StarBurst it is identical to a renewal, but there are two options ... if you've been married within a year of your renewal, they just 'update' your exisitng passport number. If it's been more than a year since you were married, they renew the passport and set a new passport number and expiration date.

Either way you'll have to provide your old passport, marriage certificate (an official copy with seal ... copies will not be considered valid) and about $120 bucks. If you go to your local government office (usually county office), they will helop you put everything together and it is usually cheaper ... according to the Dept of State website, it's suppopsed to cost around $160 bucks.
Yeah, the fee schedule says the renewal for book + card is $140 for each. I know that rush fee is $60 each. Ouch! I think we may have paid like $60 for our original passports back in 2010. LOL!

EOD K9

oh i never knew the post office handled that

thanks
The post office handles the initial applications as well. Because of my job, the applications are driven over to the State Department and given a courtesy rush. My wife and I had ours in three weeks.

DrewmanS

oh i never knew the post office handled that

thanks
Our local Post Offices require appointments for passport renewals and have a waiting list of 2-3 weeks.

If your current passport was issued in the last 15 years (even if expired) and you were over 16 years old you can renew through the mail. You can fill out the renewal form online, print it out and sign it, then include a new passport photo, your old passport, and payment.

sweetpee_1993

Our local Post Offices require appointments for passport renewals and have a waiting list of 2-3 weeks.

If your current passport was issued in the last 15 years (even if expired) and you were over 16 years old you can renew through the mail. You can fill out the renewal form online, print it out and sign it, then include a new passport photo, your old passport, and payment.
That's my problem. Both boys were younger when we got theirs. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom