Hurricane Milton coming to FL

tallica

A Cat 3 hitting Tampa then moving 90 miles and slowing winds down to 35-50 mph 90 miles away in Kissimmee ? FYI as of 5 min ago Weather channel is showing 100 mph Thu 8 am.
curious for what location?

Lake Buena Vista, FL Tropical storm conditions likely. Windy. Rain, heavy at times early. High 79F. NNW winds at 40 to 60 mph, decreasing to 25 to 35 mph. Chance of rain 90%. 3 to 5 inches of rain expected.​

MerlinTheGoat

The 100 mph wind reports from the local news I believe are gusts. Their reporting is based off of the consensus model projections that Milton is going to remain at hurricane strength throughout most if not its entire trip through the state. Even a Category 1 hurricane produces sustained wind speeds between 74-95 mph. That is not including gusts, which can be significantly higher and reach into brief (but potentially just as dangerous and damaging) higher category speeds. 100+ are entirely possible and perhaps quite likely. WESH and WFTV were both reporting 85+ mph gusts yesterday. And reporting those max gusts I can assure you is not them trying to sow panic for no reason or pulling nonsense out of their rears. It's well within reason and even likely to occur, and very dangerous, so take it seriously.

Fido Chuckwagon

Sea World made their announcement and from what I have seen Disney and Uni still haven't? Pretty morale hurting for their employees and at this point irresponsible.
@Andrew C Here is a good exmaple of what we were discussing earlier. It gives a potential that Friday could happen without commitment and letting people know about the two days.
View attachment 819722
I mean, I’m no longer surprised when Legoland and Sea World lead the way and Disney follows. Disney doesn’t really care about the safety of it’s guests and employees the way legoland and Sea World do I guess.

TalkingHead

The 100 mph wind reports from the local news I believe are gusts. Their reporting is based off of the consensus model projections that Milton is going to remain at hurricane strength throughout most if not its entire trip through the state. Even a Category 1 hurricane produces sustained wind speeds between 74-95 mph. That is not including gusts, which can be significantly higher and reach into brief (but potentially just as dangerous and damaging) higher category speeds. 100+ are entirely possible and perhaps quite likely. WESH and WFTV were both reporting 85+ mph gusts yesterday. And reporting those max gusts I can assure you is not them trying to sow panic for no reason or pulling nonsense out of their rears. It's well within reason and even likely to occur, and very dangerous, so take it seriously.
WESH was showing sustained winds in TS range for Lake, Orange, further east. That’s not “hurricane strength” across the state. Main issue seems like it’ll be power outages and flooding in places that are prone to that.

MerlinTheGoat

I don't know if this matches up with the consensus, but I just noticed that both WFTV and WESH maps are claiming that Milton will still be at a Category 2 when it hits Orlando. That is significantly worse than what they were claiming last night. They were previously saying it would be a Cat 1 when it reaches here. The 100mph winds are apparently not gusts, but sustained...

Quietmouse

what’s a bigger pr nightmare?

“Hurricane Milton passes thru Orlando with minimal damage, costing Disney millions.”

Vs.

“Hurricane Milton rips thru Orlando, causing critical hospitalization for multiple cast members as Disney decides too late on operations decision.”

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1728407129820.jpeg

MerlinTheGoat

WESH was showing sustained winds in TS range for Lake, Orange, further east. That’s not “hurricane strength” across the state. Main issue seems like it’ll be power outages and flooding in places that are prone to that.
I've got both WESH and WFTV streaming at the same time. Right now, their maps are both claiming it will be a Category 2 in Orlando. And claiming sustained winds of 100mph for that and the surrounding areas, NOT gusts which would be much higher...

I don't know where they arrived at this projection, because i've also been somewhat following the national models and I haven't seen anything to indicate such strength by the time it gets to Orlando. I wouldn't discount it, but I want to know where they're arriving at this conclusion...

Lilofan

I don't know if this matches up with the consensus, but I just noticed that both WFTV and WESH maps are claiming that Milton will still be at a Category 2 when it hits Orlando. That is significantly worse than what they were claiming last night. They were previously saying it would be a Cat 1 when it reaches here. The 100mph winds are apparently not gusts, but sustained...
That would be worse then Cat 1 Charley in 04' .

JoeCamel

I've got both WESH and WFTV streaming at the same time. Right now, their maps are both claiming it will be a Category 2 in Orlando. And claiming sustained winds of 100mph for that and the surrounding areas, NOT gusts which would be much higher...

I don't know where they arrived at this projection, because i've also been somewhat following the national models and I haven't seen anything to indicate such strength by the time it gets to Orlando. I wouldn't discount it, but I want to know where they're arriving at this conclusion...
There can always be tornados embedded in the storm as well as the straight line winds, intensity is very hard to predict, much harder than track

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom