Hurricane Milton coming to FL

DisneyCane

The governor and local officials are telling people who CAN'T live without power for a few days due to medical issues to evacuate or go to a shelter. It won't be "without power for a few days".
Obviously if your life is at risk without power it is necessary to evacuate. Most of the people who evacuate from non evacuation zones do so because they don't want to suffer without AC for a week, not because they will die without power.

celluloid

Sea World made their announcement and from what I have seen Disney and Uni still haven't? Pretty morale hurting for their employees and at this point irresponsible.
@Andrew C Here is a good exmaple of what we were discussing earlier. It gives a potential that Friday could happen without commitment and letting people know about the two days.
1728403917181.png

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Nope, altho on multiple occasions people have been told by cast that they have them under the hotels "just incase", no idea why but apparently the thought of going UNDER the water calms people down 😆. If you go on a few of the trip report sites and read peoples accounts from hurricanes in the 2000s it seemed to be a pretty common thing, some even going as far as to say they have tunnels connecting all hotels for emergencies, which of course is a massive fib!

If we're going to feel for anyone its the ones that get left over at castaway cay in the storm shelter - its perfectly safe but still...private island, storm...I'd be worried about the T-Rex.

And that you'd have to wait for a DCL ship to bring you provisions after the storm passed. As what happened with Dorian. Until the island was cleaned up for visitors, the ships docked at CC to check on staff living there and bringing supplies.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm not sure why everyone thinks they would close 24 if not 48 hours prior to landfall. That has never been protocol. Nothing they are doing (or not doing) is anything different than the way it's done every time.
Closing at 6pm on Wednesday would not be 24 hours prior to expected landfall.

MouseEarsMom33

Sea World made their announcement and from what I have seen Disney and Uni still haven't? Pretty morale hurting for their employees and at this point irresponsible.
@Andrew C Here is a good exmaple of what we were discussing earlier. It gives a potential that Friday could happen without commitment and letting people know about the two days.
View attachment 819722
Shutting Disney World down for 2 days is a big deal. I'm sure they don't want to make a wrong decision.

If SeaWorld is shutting down for two days, I am thinking a similar announcement will be made this afternoon by Disney.

Mr. Sullivan

I sincerely doubt announcing a closure for Wed/Thr on Sunday would convince people to stay in their hotel room after the announcement was made until given the all clear post-storm.
That may be true for vacationers but it isn’t just going to be vacationers on property.

Many locals are booking hotel rooms at WDW and Universal because they’re among the few who aren’t booked up. There are even people in the Orlando subreddit encouraging people to go that route if they’re not comfortable at their homes. Disney and Universal both have supplies and infrastructure that makes people feel safer on the chance Orlando gets bad.

Even if Disney and Universal start turning people away (which I doubt they’re going to do any time soon), there is regardless going to be a fair number of people there to take care of and I’m sure this factors into how they’re making their decisions.

tallica

WESH is advising 100 mph hurricane force winds going through Central Florida 8 am Thursday . Charley in 2004 winds topped 106mph which severely damaged roofs and wrecked a number of neighborhoods in Orlando and Kissimmee.
Don't know where they are getting their forecast, but Weather Channel and Accuweather are forecasting 40-60 mph winds. As typing it dropped to 35-50 mph.

Lilofan

Don't know where they are getting their forecast, but Weather Channel and Accuweather are forecasting 40-60 mph winds. As typing it dropped to 35-50 mph.
A Cat 3 hitting Tampa then moving 90 miles and slowing winds down to 35-50 mph 90 miles away in Kissimmee ? FYI as of 5 min ago Weather channel is showing 100 mph Thu 8 am.

SoFloMagic

A Cat 3 hitting Tampa then moving 90 miles and slowing winds down to 35-50 mph 90 miles away in Kissimmee ? FYI as of 5 min ago Weather channel is showing 100 mph Thu 8 am.
Cat 2/3 winds in Kissimmee is looking like worst case scenario.

50mph+ is nearly guaranteed at this point.

Local news is going with fear for ratings.
Others are presenting the science.

TalkingHead

Sustained or gusts? WESH showed TS-Cat 1 sustained in Polk. Sustained winds in Orange won’t be Cat 1.

Gringrinngghost

It going to be dependent on how large the wind fields are going to be. HOWEVER due to the proximity to the parks, I do expect Hurricane Force winds regardless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom