What will Disney do about Morocco?

davis_unoxx

Original Poster
What will Disney do about the Morocco Pavilion now that they took over ownership?

Now that the once great themed restaurant is a lounge, which is underutilizing the space.

Also replacing the artisan tiles with generic ones is a travesty.

What’s next?

Last edited:

WorldExplorer

Greece is my number one pick if I had the authority; the architecture alone would definitely be unique and beautiful.

But retheming a different pavilion for it? I vote no on that.

Especially since nowadays they would probably try and awkwardly paint over Morocco to make it look Greek-y.

doctornick

Realistically, while I'd love Greece, I don't think another European country is ideal (though there is a lot of stuff to build on for entertainment, including Hercules among actual Disney IP).

I think introducing a country from another under represented part of the world would be a better option like...

* South American (most likely Brazil but maybe Argentina or such)
* Sub-Saharan Africa (tough to say a specific place as it would likely depend on sponsorship, though I think Nigeria might a good choice. Definitely not Wakanda)
* South Asia (India) though focusing on people/culture as opposed to animals as happens in DAK's Asia
* Southeast Asia (Thailand likely being the most obvious option)

In addition to the obvious benefits of inclusion, these would all bring in some new and different food options to WS

MerlinTheGoat

There's what, half a dozen or more empty expansion pads in World Showcase still? Just on the perimeter, not including any of the other apparent expansion space behind the existing pavilions that was once considered. The last time they added a new country was 1988, 36 years. In fact, today is actually the 36 anniversary of said country's official opening. No more replacements.

JIMINYCR

IMHO Morocco was never one of my fav pavilions but I be would not want it to be torn down . I’d rather have it remain in place with a better upgrade and have an entirely new country added elsewhere. Greece would be acceptable as well as others that would add to the park entertainment and interest. So add not take away please.

DisneyDean97

They'd have to repaint ToT, so no.

An added portfolio of Greece and Brazil would be wonderful for WS.

Alas, EPCOT is largely "done" for this cycle.
I agree with you on Greece. It would make a beautiful pavilion, with great food options as well. And Greece has so much history, I doubt they'd build a new ride without an IP, so my dream of an Ancient Greece dark is probably never going to happen... but Disney does have a popular animated movie that ties in perfectly... a Hercules dark ride anyone? Sign me up please :)

Lilofan

Back in the day we enjoyed the Millennium Village pre 9/11/01 in the hardly used event space between UK and France. Brazil, Israel , South Korea, Chile and New Zealand etc were represented with shows, merchandise , and interactive games with guests and cast from those countries. Israel was the area that had noticeably more security cast presence especially when the cast from that country performed their dance show several times a day in their native language and English in the small theatre. It would be neat if any of those countries had a pavilion at Epcot.

davis_unoxx

Original Poster
I agree with you on Greece. It would make a beautiful pavilion, with great food options as well. And Greece has so much history, I doubt they'd build a new ride without an IP, so my dream of an Ancient Greece dark is probably never going to happen... but Disney does have a popular animated movie that ties in perfectly... a Hercules dark ride anyone? Sign me up please :)
Yes exactly! I really hope it happens, and I believe it would be top contender.

It’s also such a different culture than any other European country represented at Epcot, Greece has more in common with people from Lebanon culturally than France or UK so it would be fantastic.

Ayla

People, this is why you quote the OP (including myself. :banghead:). Note to those reading now, the OP has been dramatically changed from what it was initially.

esskay

Zero reason to get rid of it, Disney is perfectly capable of operating a small plot of land and a restaurant themselves.

Obviously new countries would be nice but:

A) as has been pointed out, it ain't happened in 36 years so there little chance of it happening now
B) theres no point flooring an otherwise fine pavilion just to stick another one in when theres ample space to add one on land that has nothing on it but a bunch of storage crates.

Disstevefan1

What will Disney do about the Morocco Pavilion now that they took over ownership?

Now that the once great themed restaurant is a lounge, which is underutilizing the space.

Also replacing the artisan tiles with generic ones is a travesty.

What’s next?
The Morocco Pavilion was GREAT when it was run by the outside tenant. Some of the best counter service and sit down food in the world showcase!

When the pandemic hit, instead of working with their tenant, Disney evicted them. Their movie business can burn through money with no ROI, but in their theme park business they are cut throat!

Disney is turning the Morocco Pavilion into garbage.

wdwfan22

Why Disney hasn't reopened Restaurant Marrakesh is beyond me. While it wasn't the most popular Epcot dining spot, they could make is popular by adding Aladdin & Jasmine to the dining experience and I guarantee it would be full daily. It would bring life back to the pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom