What a mess

MagicRat

I don’t know, I just spent 12 days there and the whole resort was the cleanest I have seen in years. I also remember standing in line for the skyway in Fantasyland and couldn’t get over the amount of cockroaches on the ground. That was the early 90’s. Anyone with a camera on their phone can make a situation these days.

Virtual Toad

That monorail sign is just totally inexcusable. World class? Not by a long shot if these are their standards:
01.jpg

MagicRat

That monorail sign is just totally inexcusable. World class? Not by a long shot if these are their standards:
View attachment 716786
Yes it is bad, I didn’t have to go through the ticket center. Again bad things occur and it needs repairing but my god let’s compare it to the fall of Rome and make a continuing narrative.

I can say that in my 12 days it was extremely clean, 1 night Animal Kingdom Kidani, 11 nights Boulder Ridge. This was one of my cleanest experiences in over 40 years.

I can say I am in on the construction side of things maybe they have the sign in production, lead times are horrible right now.

Let’s not jump to conclusions just like the spalling concrete on the monorail column. That was a ridiculous complaint. Concrete is destined to crack and flake, it is concrete. The structure was/is in tact. The point is to remedy it before it gets to the steel.

Again making complaints just to drive a point. The more I think about, yeah the place sucks, it is 45 square miles large and nothing ever should break. I was there when the barbell broke at ESPN Club, it’s about time 30 years later they remedied it.

Last edited:

Virtual Toad

Yes it is bad, I didn’t have to go through the ticket center. Again bad things occur and it needs repairing but my god let’s compare it to the fall of Rome and make a continuing narrative.

I can say that in my 12 days it was extremely clean, 1 night Animal Kingdom Kidani, 11 nights Boulder Ridge. This was one of my cleanest experiences in over 40 years.

I can say I am in on the construction side of things maybe they have the sign in production, lead times our horrible right now.

Let’s not jump to conclusions just like the spalling concrete on the monorail column. That was a ridiculous complaint. Concrete is destined to crack and flake, it is concrete. The structure was/is in tact. The point is to remedy it before it gets to the steel.

Again making complaints just to drive a point. The more I think about, yeah the place sucks, it is 45 square miles large and nothing ever should break. I was there when the barbell broke at ESPN Club, it’s about time 30 years later they remedied it.
I was commenting on the monorail sign specifically-- which is in a state that is totally inexcusable for a world class resort. A company that can manufacture and install 30 foot tall photo-realistic scrims to hide a construction/refurb project can surely come up with a replacement sign in a timely manner-- instead of patching it with packing tape and letting it sit there in full view of guests for months.

Heck, any semi-competent commercial sign shop would be able to produce a replacement on demand-- so no, this is not hyperbole and it has nothing to do with supply chain or lead time issues. It has absolutely everything to do with laziness, greed, a lack of will, and an ongoing and open contempt for paying guests.

Last edited:

MagicRat

I was commenting on the monorail sign specifically-- which is in a state that is totally inexcusable for a world class resort. A company that can manufacture and install 30 foot tall photo-realistic scrims to hide a construction/refurb project can surely come up with a replacement sign in a timely manner-- instead of patching it with packing tape and letting it sit there in full view of guests for months.

Heck, any semi-competent commercial sign shop would be able to produce a replacement on demand-- so no, this is not hyperbole and it has nothing to do with supply chain issues. It has absolutely everything to do with laziness, greed, a lack of will, and an ongoing and open contempt for paying guests.
So by your last paragraph you are in fact not talking about the sign specifically but making a much wider statement.

Believe it or not signs do take time, no not as long as someone pointed out this one has been broken but there is a chain on how things get fixed. I am not sure why it’s duct taped is it causing a leak into something else? Could it have been fixed temporarily better maybe by caulk? I don’t know I don’t go through the transportation center. Heck I have white duct tape on a window because Pella won’t honor a design defect on an arch window in my house and I am trying to decide what to do as a replacement. Trust me I am quite particular with my house and this is the best temporary for now.

But don’t say specifics and then make an overarching theme about the state of the conditions. That is disingenuous, even if you didn’t mean to do that or not.

Chi84

Premium Member

I can say I am in on the construction side of things maybe they have the sign in production, lead times are horrible right now.

On our last two trips, we noticed quite a bit of improvement in cleanliness and upkeep, especially at the resorts. Both Riviera and Caribbean Beach had CMs constantly cleaning dining areas and outdoor areas.

Also, unlike 2021, there were bathroom attendants in most of the larger bathrooms so it was nice to see that again.

CMs were noticeably friendlier than on our trips during pandemic restrictions.

Virtual Toad

Heck I have white duct tape on a window because Pella won’t honor a design defect on an arch window in my house and I am trying to decide what to do as a replacement.
The difference is you are not (hopefully) charging guests hundreds to thousands of dollars to visit your house while marketing yourself as a world class vacation destination.

I am not trying to make a broad statement-- but guests who see the monorail sign in this condition certainly might see it that way. The sign alone falls glaringly short of meeting the world-class standards the Walt Disney Company set for itself and that is what I am referring to. No disengenuous statement or broader theme intended. But when you set the bar high by trying to position yourself as a luxury brand, each and every impression matters. Just my opinion about a single observation, and yours may certainly vary.

MagicRat

The difference is you are not (hopefully) charging guests hundreds to thousands of dollars to visit your house while marketing yourself as a world class vacation destination.

I am not trying to make a broad statement-- but guests who see the monorail sign in this condition certainly might see it that way. The sign alone falls glaringly short of meeting the world-class standards the Walt Disney Company set for itself and that is what I am referring to. No disengenuous statement or broader theme intended. But when you set the bar high by trying to position yourself as a luxury brand, each and every impression matters. Just my opinion about a single observation, and yours may certainly vary.
You should see the house!

My problem is with the broad statements and the OP referencing some “vlogger” who is making a name for himself by complaining. In this world of social media it is like throwing gasoline on fire. It grabs hold of the lowest denominator of human beings. His title of the “vlog” was $100 Tron scam….I won’t give him the click to read the rest of the title and help out his numbers.

Again the sign is bad, but do you know what sign companies are on the approved Disney World list of vendors? Does Disney have to get bids from three vendors? Does Disney have a sign shop of their own. I would assume they would have a sign shop but if one wants to make a complaint it is horrible how much they have outsourced. The problem is however every large corporation makes a decision to outsource than changes it’s mind then goes back in a ridiculous cycle.

It’s a message board not the keeper of the kingdom. There is a lot of good stuff too, just as I have mentioned, let’s not make a sign the death sentence.

Ayla

So by your last paragraph you are in fact not talking about the sign specifically but making a much wider statement.

Believe it or not signs do take time, no not as long as someone pointed out this one has been broken but there is a chain on how things get fixed. I am not sure why it’s duct taped is it causing a leak into something else? Could it have been fixed temporarily better maybe by caulk? I don’t know I don’t go through the transportation center. Heck I have white duct tape on a window because Pella won’t honor a design defect on an arch window in my house and I am trying to decide what to do as a replacement. Trust me I am quite particular with my house and this is the best temporary for now.

But don’t say specifics and then make an overarching theme about the state of the conditions. That is disingenuous, even if you didn’t mean to do that or not.
I'm pretty sure WDW has their own on-site sign shop.

BlakeW39

This sign has been like this for ages.

It's truly disheartening to see how TWDC continues to treat its parks and its parks' guests. Just jack up prices as much as possible, making billions of dollars but they can't even make an effort to fix something simple like this. When they have had plenty of time to do so. Pathetic.

Magenta Panther

Original Poster

Why are you getting your knickers in a twist because a vlogger - who used to work at WDW, and who is a Disney fan - points out egregious upkeep problems and a piece of crappy overpriced merchandise at WDW? Should those issues not be pointed out at all? Or should park guests who pay thousands of dollars a visit overlook things like that and say, "Oh well, half of the doorway of Keystone Clothiers fell off, taking a light fixture with it, and oh look, a huge fountain broke in half, la de da, who cares, let's go get a Mickey bar"?

Goofyernmost

You know, of course, that even if they have an inhouse sign making facility they don't just snap their fingers and voila we have a sign. First, we don't know how long the sign has been that way and that is a huge consideration. At best, they have to recreate it, produce the blank material, plan out the layout, apply the paint artistically, let the paint dry and cure, assign the task of replacing it to a crew that already has a challenge keeping up with things that have been hanging around in the Florida sun for the last 50 years. But sure, let's complain about how you saw a sign at some point that had been somehow damaged and by god you aren't going to stand for it.

Should it be that way ideally? No, but I shouldn't be 75 years old either but somethings just happen and we deal with it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom