Disneyland Fantasmic Dragon Engulfed in Flames

flynnibus

Premium Member
I also don’t buy the cost saving theory. Disney budgeted and planned for Fantasmic to be available. They sold dining packages. Fantasmic makes them money.

When your operating budget is limited… making money or not doesn’t change how much the budget is…. It just influences what you pick to spend your limited dollars on.

Imagine also emtertainment probably doesn’t get the pnl credit for dining packages.

They could also be trying to take the cost savings they are getting and trying to reallocate that money to f! Changes that were not previously planned

gerarar

Premium Member
If it's just one CM posting about safety issues, I don't know that I would necessarily take it as anything more than an individual grievance.

If many CMs post about safety issues/concerns, THEN I might start to take it more seriously.

In regards to the latter, it's possible they just didn't see the part about Disney reshuffling the F! cast into other roles, OR Disney isn't actually doing that, OR Disney did offer her a role she wasn't interested in. I imagine they're only just starting to contact the performers and try to work something out.

In my book, it's too soon to jump to any meaningful conclusions, until we either learn more or start to see patterns.

Well, another safety issue/concern from an ex-F! CM..

TP2000

"Alternate Entertainment Offerings."

So.....Night Parade?

No, it's too late for that. It's almost Memorial Day.

I think they'll do a jazz combo on the Mark Twain at night, maybe with some dancing and mint juleps for sale. Which could actually be nice. But anything more than just added bands and upcharged cocktails, there's not time for getting MSEP or Paint The Night going before July.

So instead of running the show during the peak demand period in the mean time? I don't buy it.

They wouldn't cancel the show for b-mode in the past... now they are going to cancel it ALL SUMMER because of it? Doesn't pass the sniff test.

I thought the same thing. This doesn't pass the smell test. Unless the fire really did damage key infrastructure below the stage that is needed for other acts and elements in the show. But why not just say that? "The fire damaged key infrastructure that will take several months to rebuild."

At my most optimistic, here on a late Saturday night after a fun dinner and a nightcap, I would think that TDA realizes the latest version of Fantasmic! wasn't their very best effort, and they have room for improvement. So they are taking this unfortunate situation and looking for the silver lining in order to re-envision the show and create something better. 😍

Or... in my most pessimistic tomorrow morning before I have my first cup of coffee, they're just cheap jerks who want to kill that old Jack Lindquist water show thing on the lake that costs them so much money. :rolleyes:

TP2000

I'll be at the beach house for several weeks later this summer. The kids (nephews and wives) don't want to go to Disneyland any more, they're over it. But if they did something like this on the Mark Twain at night, I'd drive up there this July to see it. Just for the fun of it.

And now that Prohibition has been repealed at Disneyland, they could even serve a half-decent Mint Julep on board for $20! I'd buy two!

jrhwdw

We'll see what happens this week but........if DLR doesn't want to bother with MSEP/PTN......... Send BOTH to TDO!!!!!!!! TDO would use them consistently! Something DLR is not Committed to!

If MSEP was never planned for 2023 from the Start, that means the first part of the March Rumor was false and, who knows about the Second Part! 2 Great Night Parades should NOT be Locked Up Backstage/Offsite for Months/Years on end!!!!!!!

180º

We'll see what happens this week but........if DLR doesn't want to bother with MSEP/PTN......... Send BOTH to TDO!!!!!!!! TDO would use them consistently! Something DLR is not Committed to!

If MSEP was never planned for 2023 from the Start, that means the first part of the March Rumor was false and, who knows about the Second Part! 2 Great Night Parades should NOT be Locked Up Backstage/Offsite for Months/Years on end!!!!!!!
Maybe Florida should have committed to 1) not destroying Spectro Magic and 2) taking better care of Electrical Parade.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
Ya know what I've always thought would be cool? I think they should try to make some sort of night parade that has fireworks involved in it, like there is a WOC float that has a water collection system at the bottom and there is a bunch of mini-WOC fountains on too, with a model of the Fun Wheel and the Incredicoaster, also a Castle float with comets on a float behind it. Either way, my point is that they should make a Fantasmic parade that has fireworks, and each float is one scene from the show. The dragon scene could be a copy of the dragon float from FoF at MK

PiratesMansion

Ya know what I've always thought would be cool? I think they should try to make some sort of night parade that has fireworks involved in it, like there is a WOC float that has a water collection system at the bottom and there is a bunch of mini-WOC fountains on too, with a model of the Fun Wheel and the Incredicoaster, also a Castle float with comets on a float behind it. Either way, my point is that they should make a Fantasmic parade that has fireworks, and each float is one scene from the show. The dragon scene could be a copy of the dragon float from FoF at MK
Both have already been done in some capacity.

For Fireworks, the To Honor America float of MSEP had fireworks. They were eventually updated to look a bit more like actual fireworks, but they've always been there so far as I know:

A similar effect was also used in Spectromagic, and was still part of the parade when it closed in 2010:

Fantasmic as a parade: That basically describes Fantillusion, a parade that ran at Tokyo Disneyland from 1995-2001, and then in reduced form at Disneyland Paris from roughly 2003-2012, divided into three parts with show stops; in the second segment (essentially the Villains part), one of the floats starts with Maleficient and transforms into the dragon during the show stop:

Last edited:

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
The To Honor America float of MSEP had fireworks. They were eventually updated to look a bit more like actual fireworks, but they've always been there so far as I know:

A similar effect was also used in Spectromagic, and was still part of the parade when it closed in 2010:

I meant real fireworks, not some fake light display fireworks.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
Fantasmic as a parade: That basically describes Fantillusion, a parade that ran at Tokyo Disneyland from 1995-2001, and then in reduced form at Disneyland Paris from roughly 2003-2012, divided into three parts with show stops; in the second segment (essentially the Villains part), one of the floats starts with Maleficient and transforms into the dragon during the show stop:

For this I meant there would be a few show stops but repeatedly through the choreo there would be Mickey going up and down on the lift and with that burst of Pyro. Maybe while he was under the bulk of the float in the area with the lift he'd be allowed to grab a drink of water before reappearing on the elevator. There'd be a model of Steamboat Willie with all the characters, it could be similar in size to the To Honor America float of MSEP

PiratesMansion

For this I meant there would be a few show stops but repeatedly through the choreo there would be Mickey going up and down on the lift and with that burst of Pyro. Maybe while he was under the bulk of the float in the area with the lift he'd be allowed to grab a drink of water before reappearing on the elevator. There'd be a model of Steamboat Willie with all the characters, it could be similar in size to the To Honor America float of MSEP
I meant real fireworks, not some fake light display fireworks.
While I'm not an expert on fireworks launching, this seems like a huge potential safety hazard.

Launching fireworks that close to guests, in the already narrow pathways of Disneyland, were they to go even slightly wrong, just seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

People were already making claims about how dangerous the Murphy fire was in this very thread when the guests were clearly separated from the dragon going up in flames by the river. That plus the Maleficent fire during FOF at Magic Kingdom means that this will likely never happen.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
While I'm not an expert on fireworks launching, this seems like a huge potential safety hazard.

Launching fireworks that close to guests, in the already narrow pathways of Disneyland, were they to go even slightly wrong, just seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

People were already making claims about how dangerous the Murphy fire was in this very thread when the guests were clearly separated from the dragon going up in flames by the river. That plus the Maleficent fire during FOF at Magic Kingdom means that this will likely never happen.
That's fair. I just always thought it would be cool, never said it would actually happen

brb1006

Meanwhile across the continent back in 2013...
Random person backstage: Hey, TDO, what's this rotting piece of garbage over here?
TDO BigBoss: Oh, that's just the tattered remains of Chernabog from SpectroMagic that we left outside to decay in the Florida elements! Call facilities, they'll get it out of there. They just finished breaking the rest of it down with a forklift.

Still enrages me all these years later.
I'm still very bitter over WDW's treatment of Spectromagic after ending unceremoniously during the Summer of 2010.

jrhwdw

Meanwhile across the continent back in 2013...
Random person backstage: Hey, TDO, what's this rotting piece of garbage over here?
TDO BigBoss: Oh, that's just the tattered remains of Chernabog from SpectroMagic that we left outside to decay in the Florida elements! Call facilities, they'll get it out of there. They just finished breaking the rest of it down with a forklift.

Still enrages me all these years later.

I'm still very bitter over WDW's treatment of Spectromagic after ending unceremoniously during the Summer of 2010.
Granted, I'm not an insider and it's already 2023, after COVID. However, I do wonder if we might still have Spectro if MSEP went to DL for its 55th in 2010 instead of MK....... Yes, MK probably wanted it because of Potter but, DL needed it more since all they had was the Street Paqrty in 2010!

I just hope the Night Parade Story is not done anywhere!!! TDL needs the Pre COVID Dreamlights back and, the US Resorts need something!!!!

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Granted, I'm not an insider and it's already 2023, after COVID. However, I do wonder if we might still have Spectro if MSEP went to DL for its 55th in 2010 instead of MK....... Yes, MK probably wanted it because of Potter but, DL needed it more since all they had was the Street Paqrty in 2010!

I just hope the Night Parade Story is not done anywhere!!! TDL needs the Pre COVID Dreamlights back and, the US Resorts need something!!!!
How is this relevant to Disneyland's Fantasmic? It's been 13 years, it's time to let it go. WDW doesn't have to be centered in every conversation about theme parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom