News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

UNCgolf

I'm not sure about that. The song? Sure. Not sure about the story of the ride itself. Most people not a Disney fanatic just remember it as a log flume ride with some rabbit and fox character.

I think there's a difference between caring about the specific characters/IP and caring about the overall execution, and people have often conflated the two.

Splash was beloved because of the overall execution. Of course the drop helped, but the drop was only a small part of the complete experience. It's not like the ride lasted 90 seconds and went up then down.

If the execution is poor (and from what we know up to this point, I don't think it will be -- it sounds like it's going to be very good), it definitely won't be as beloved as Splash. People have never put, e.g., the Jurassic Park River Adventure (I personally love the River Adventure) or Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls on that level despite both having much larger drops than Splash.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

I don't fully agree, because I think the pessimists among us should feel just as comfortable posting here as the optimists. What matters in my view is that people contribute to the discussion in good faith and with civility, not merely to goad or demean others.

I think you can be a pessimist, and still contribute positively. That’s all I’m trying to get across. Criticism is welcome and valid, it’s how you get that across.

There is a difference between positive contributions, even if they contain criticism or trepidation, and outright negative contributions, which is what started this topic of conversation.

That posters added nothing of substance to the discussion, and they’ve outed their own intentions, which is simply to bog us down with negative posts.

LittleBuford

I think you can be a pessimist, and still contribute positively. That’s all I’m trying to get across. Criticism is welcome and valid, it’s how you get that across.

There is a difference between positive contributions, even if they contain criticism or trepidation, and outright negative contributions, which is what started this topic of conversation.

That posters added nothing of substance to the discussion, and they’ve outed their own intentions, which is simply to bog us down with negative posts.
I fully agree and apologise if I misunderstood or misrepresented your previous post.

Disney Analyst

I fully agree and apologise if I misunderstood or misrepresented your previous post.

Not at all.

You are an example. You have contributed positively, when while sharing valid criticism of signage and graphics work.

I mean goodness, when the first reports came out of the co-op backstory, secret ingredients, this and that.. even I was like “what is this and why does it feel so corporate”?

monothingie

I'm both Crunchy and Delicious!
Premium Member
Disney parks are too expensive for people to show up for a ride.

We’re past that.

They didn’t really get anyone to bite on Star Wars…and it’s only partially because the lands suck…

Universal will get a bump because they’re opening a brand spanking new, major park and support facilities

A repurposed ride or meager add every five years isn’t gonna cut it.
So does that mean Disney is not going to charge guests more when BBTM, DAK Stuff, untitled DHS project, etc become a reality at some point in the next 10 years?

If Disney has already priced themselves way out of the main stream, then they are catastrophically misreading the tea leaves on this.

JD80

I think there's a difference between people caring about the specific characters/IP and people caring about the overall execution, and people have often conflated the two.

Splash was beloved because of the overall execution. Of course the drop helped, but the drop was only a small part of the complete experience. It's not like the ride lasted 90 seconds and went up then down.

If the execution is poor (and from what we know up to this point, I don't think it will be -- it sounds like it's going to be very good), it definitely won't be as beloved as Splash. People have never put, e.g., the Jurassic Park River Adventure or Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls on that level despite both having much larger drops than Splash.

From everyone I've ever spoken with, off the internet, Splash was an all time favorite because of the following:
  1. Duration
  2. The Drop
  3. The Music / Happy Vibes
If TBA can hit all 3 (and it inherently has #1 and #2) it has an easy chance to be beloved. The reason Splash was beloved was not because of the characters or the story - it was the music and the vibes. You came off that ride feeling great. You could probably create a whole new set of characters and story and just kept the same music and the ride would have been just as beloved.

TBA can be a great ride and probably will be. But in order for it to be an "all-time great" it has to nail the music. If they miss the music it'll probably top off at only "great ride".

Andrew25

My hunch is all that bluster…beyond goal 1 of saving bobs ego…is to try and limit the LOSSES of clientele.

What?!?
Yeah…I said it. The economics of Disney parks are out of whack when you cross I-4 and look at the world we live in. They are trying to run things in a way they weren’t built for
I agree that Disney tried stupidly to develop the parks into some sort of "premium" experience for rich whales... but that blew in their face quite quickly.

Disney is losing attendance, but not at a catastrophic rate as some make it sound like. I believe they've learned their lesson from not expanding/upgrading the parks to match modern-day crowds. It'll take a few years, but I think they'll give us a good idea this D23 of the direction/steps they plan on taking.

Disney (and Universal) we're getting a bit ahead of themselves over the past 2 years raising prices to meet (what was always seen as temporary) demand from post-Covid travel. Both resorts are offering massive discounts at the moment with tickets.

monothingie

I'm both Crunchy and Delicious!
Premium Member
From everyone I've ever spoken with, off the internet, Splash was an all time favorite because of the following:
  1. Duration
  2. The Drop
  3. The Music / Happy Vibes
If TBA can hit all 3 (and it inherently has #1 and #2) it has an easy chance to be beloved. The reason Splash was beloved was not because of the characters or the story - it was the music and the vibes. You came off that ride feeling great. You could probably create a whole new set of characters and story and just kept the same music and the ride would have been just as beloved.

TBA can be a great ride and probably will be. But in order for it to be an "all-time great" it has to nail the music. If they miss the music it'll probably top off at only "great ride".
4. Quality of the attraction.

Even in its decrepit state that it was left in for the last several years, it was still regarded as being one of the highest quality attractions at the MK.

mickEblu

The thing is we have been talking about this subject for 4 years now. Not every post is going to be carefully crafted with pros/ cons, thought out analysis etc. Sometimes you just want to express your disappointment with the newest thing. There are a few people who instantly categorize anyone with a few “negative” non nuanced posts in a row as a “hater” and respond to them as such. Im not sure I can expect people to remember everyone’s posting history though that can work both ways anyway with people boxing others in based on their perception of the users posting history.

Lastly, sometimes their just isn’t anything good to say. I wouldn’t expect one to throw something positive in just for positivity’s sake. I think the vast majority of people who aren’t high on this project are having conversations in good faith and want Disney to succeed but are just disappointed with what what they re seeing or hearing. I feel like I see a lot more blind positivity than blind negativity.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree that Disney tried stupidly to develop the parks into some sort of "premium" experience for rich whales... but that blew in their face quite quickly.

Disney is losing attendance, but not at a catastrophic rate as some make it sound like. I believe they've learned their lesson from not expanding/upgrading the parks to match modern-day crowds. It'll take a few years, but I think they'll give us a good idea this D23 of the direction/steps they plan on taking.

Disney (and Universal) we're getting a bit ahead of themselves over the past 2 years raising prices to meet (what was always seen as temporary) demand from post-Covid travel. Both resorts are offering massive discounts at the moment with tickets.
The problem there is Comcast is kinda enjoying this exercise in a way long gone from Disney

Some little troll started getting tugged in 5 different directions 20 years ago and this part of the business is no more than necessary evil for him. Most not excite Willow either

LittleBuford

I feel like I see a lot more blind positivity than blind negativity.
I am genuinely surprised that you feel this way. The positivity that has been expressed has almost always been in response to things we can see and therefore assess (the exterior, the animatronics, etc.). It is far from blind. That really can't be said for the negativity, much of which has been based entirely on speculation.

In the Parks
No
I am genuinely surprised that you feel this way. The positivity that has been expressed has almost always been in response to things we can see and therefore assess (the exterior, the animatronics, etc.). It is far from blind. That really can't be said for the negativity, much of which has been based entirely on speculation.
I think sometimes some of us are just extremely surprised or perplexed that what's being revealed is so celebrated by some. Like the fact that some people here say that the exterior looks fantastic and others think (and I agree) that it looks like a giant piece of broccoli. It seems like blind positivity because it differs so strongly from how some of us see it.

mickEblu

I feel like I see a lot more detailed explanations from people who are feeling negative. Sometimes the positivity doesn’t feel like a whole lot more than “yay new Disney ride” or “yay excited to have a ride based on PatF characters.” Also it feels like people that are higher on TBA feel some sort of duty to be extra positive to balance out some of the negative opinions. Just my perception.

In other words, for better or worse, it feels like more honesty comes from the folks who are not as high on TBA. It also seems like some of the people who are high on TBA just have lower expectations and standards. This is probably healthy considering some things we see come out of WDI/ Disney these days.

Last edited:

Ghost93

I think sometimes some of us are just extremely surprised or perplexed that what's being revealed is so celebrated by some. Like the fact that some people here say that the exterior looks fantastic and others think (and I agree) that it looks like a giant piece of broccoli. It seems like blind positivity because it differs so strongly from how some of us see it.
I initially wasn't a fan of the exterior when the model was revealed, but grew to appreciate it once I realized they are trying to de-emphasize the "Mountain" aspect of the ride in favor of it more authentically representing a "bayou." It's not as imposing as Splash Mountain because it's not supposed to be.

doctornick

I feel like I see a lot more people detailed explanations from people who are feeling negative. Sometimes the positivity doesn’t feel like a whole lot more than “yay new Disney ride” or “ya exited to have a ride based on PatF characters.” Also it feels like people that are higher on TBA feel some sort of duty to be extra positive to balance out some of the negative opinions. Just my perception.

I'm both very down on losing Splash but also pretty optimistic that this ride will be good. I do think a bunch of the negativity generally seem valid but nitpicky. To me, there is a good bit to be optimistic about because the ride mechanics/layout is so strong as a basis, PatF offers a good template for a ride combining cute characters and engaging music, and there's probably a lot of will (and $$$) being put forth to make sure this is executed at the highest level. Will it succeed? I dunno and I will be honest that today's crop of engineers don't give me unbridled hope but I also think it wouldn't be that difficulty to make an overall great ride as long as they stick to good basic storytelling and use the resources that are available for this.

LittleBuford

This is the problem, though, isn't it? People are so convinced that theirs is the only valid opinion that they can't credit that others might genuinely feel differently about things they've actually seen or experienced. Other threads demonstrate the issue too (I've been told multiple times that I can't possibly have liked FP+ as much as I claim to), but this thread is an especially good (or bad) example of the kind of dogmatism you're referring to.

erasure fan1

TBA doesn't appear to be doing the same with at least resort bookings (with hefty discounts). Attendance is TBD for TBA but I don't have high hopes.
I don't think Disney even thinks it will move the needle. But that won't stop them from telling everyone how fantastic it did.
not really, not when there is no standby and your not allowed to get on or get in line on a whim.....
I wouldn't put it past them to do a reservation. But I could also just see them keeping Tron.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom