News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

ToTBellHop

Last day of trip June 7th. Am I cooked?
You hold on to that wish.
1713386148289.gif

donaldtoo

View attachment 779777

"Down in New Orleans" playing out front right now. The pool noodles are gone from around the water lilies, and more of the plants and flowers have been installed. Looks good!

Edit: The instrumental of "Down in New Orleans" is also playing coming out of the load station, the same combo I heard the other night.

Cypress trees, cypress knees, Spanish moss, cattail, water lilies and what looks like, possibly, dwarf palmetto (they need to be larger to cover the fence) in front of the fence: check…

EE6B8F21-1158-446D-BBDC-18874B586D7F.jpeg

The only thing missing, and probably on their way…

95546A14-9E5D-4A20-956D-35A0183013AE.jpeg

Castle Cake Apologist

That ugly fence goes back to what I and others were saying months ago.

The drop of splash was designed to be a trick of going into a briar patch into the lower level, and without an element to replace that, it is awkward.

That being said, there is a chance the fence is some sort of fall/safety protection and something else will come in.

I've been kind of wondering that myself. The entire point of the way that area is designed was to give the illusion of the log plummeting "into" the briar patch and disappearing in the thorns. Are we just falling into a patch of swamp grass now? The model would suggest so, and I don't necessarily feel like that was a great replacement for the effect. It was always one of my favorite little things about the design of Splash, so I'm definitely sad to see it replaced by whatever this is going to be. It was such a clever old-school Imagineering trick.

Incomudro

I've been kind of wondering that myself. The entire point of the way that area is designed was to give the illusion of the log plummeting "into" the briar patch and disappearing in the thorns. Are we just falling into a patch of swamp grass now? The model would suggest so, and I don't necessarily feel like that was a great replacement for the effect. It was always one of my favorite little things about the design of Splash, so I'm definitely sad to see it replaced by whatever this is going to be. It was such a clever old-school Imagineering trick.
I've said it before - I never got the idea that there was an illusion of the log plummeting into the briar patch.
I'm willing to bet a large portion of park goers didn't either.
In any event it's a log flume splashing down.
It works that way.

celluloid

Yes. It was so good. Dudley Doright has a similar effect where instead of disappearing, the logs go under the floorboards of the structure at the bottom as "heads" seem to "rattle" the wood like a cartoon and explosive shack expands.

Sadly, this ias mostly been out of upkeep for a while with randomly coming back or being very limited compared to what it used to do.

Castle Cake Apologist

I've said it before - I never got the idea that there was an illusion of the log plummeting into the briar patch.
It works that way.

Yes, I know that's how a log flume works. Thank you so much! However, this is a Disney attraction, not King's Island. They weren't designing a log flume, they were designing a story. Thoughtful little details like making the drop an active part of the story placemaking are what set Disney apart from regional parks and are a crucial part of what made them successful.

Not sure if this will blow your mind, but it's possible to hold the opinion that this will likely be a fantastic attraction while also preferring certain things about it's predecessor. Hell, I've even come way around to the new exterior and honestly find much of it more charming than Splash. I was simply commenting on a detail that I will miss. And whether you noticed it or not, it was very intentional. I'm honestly not even sure how you could look at a picture of Splash and not understand that it was what they were going for. The logs quite literally disappear into a huge patch of briars that is centered around the drop.

Screenshot_20240417_180216_Samsung Internet.jpg

It's a similar effect as used on Summit Plummet, and I can't imagine anybody denying that's intended to look like the slider is going to fly off the jump.

Screenshot_20240417_180526_Samsung Internet.jpg

For what it's worth, I originally had a couple more sentences at the end of my post kindly requesting that a certain group of posters not respond to my incredibly benign opinion about a little thing that I liked about Splash with needlessly snarky responses. I ultimately removed it, thinking surely nobody would take issue with my tiny little thoughts that ultimately didn't even actually complain about anything. Yet, here we are.

Last edited:

celluloid

It works that way.

That's what used to be called Imagineering wise " a DIsney difference." Just because some did not notice it, does not mean an amazing thing should not exist for those who do.

I doubt most people who ride Pirates at Disneyland feel that the story conveyed through the waterfall going back in time and at the end, that the chain lift represents magically back up a waterfall, but there it still is.

It honestly was not even some subtle illusion. The water is filled up literally on an upper level and you would see logs go near missing it and under it. Much like the story of what Brer Rabbit does to get away.

Incomudro

That mural on the fence is the one thing that bothers me.
I actually like everything else going on here.
I'll take the mural on the barn over this, because at least that makes sense in the context of that it is supposed to have been done by the employees working at Tiana's.
But what is this?
Clearly the same people wouldn't have painted this art.
It looks too modern, even jarring.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom