News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Prince-1

How many times do we need to debunk this totally made-up story that Disney is cancelling Facilier out of concern for Voodoo/Hoodoo?

Facilier shows up quite regularly in the parks. Every time there's a cohort of villains, he's there. He's there in Fantasmic! (the recently refurbed Fantasmic! which would have been an opportunity to remove him). He's there in the Halloween parade and the Hocus Pocus Spelltacular castle show.

Stop making up stuff.

These posters are just regurgitating their same old tired nonsense. They don’t worry about letting facts get in their way.

Drdcm

I don't remember riding Splash until I was 14. It was mind-blowing seeing the indoor area for the first time, I thought it was just a drop. And the way the bluegrass music starts up when you get off the second lift hill into the ride proper. It's almost like a transition into the world of Br'er Rabbit. The birdhouse singing HDYD. The geese greeting you. The animals playing NATURAL instruments. The scream on the dip. The vultures taunting you. Dropping into the Briar Patch, which is genius, followed by the calm violins and harmonicas of Zipadeedoodah. Then the finale.

While things were broken when I went in 2021, those feelings remained.

It's all perfect. Now it's gone.
I do legitimately think the general sense and atmosphere (until the lift bill at least) will be similar. They’re clearly paying attention to the music, it sounds like there will be a bunch of AAs and most likely quite a few more advanced AAs. I personally love that style of music, which might not be for everyone. Now I say this as someone who’s favorite ride hands down was splash. I suppose all good things must come to an end eventually… I suppose I can continue to be upset, or just hope for the best

gerarar

Premium Member
Every time there's a cohort of villains, he's there. He's there in Fantasmic! (the recently refurbed Fantasmic! which would have been an opportunity to remove him).
Dr. Facilier never appeared in Fantasmic! at WDW or DL.

His shadow demons do show up for a small cameo in DL's F! 2.0 when the Old Hag calls upon the forces of evils as projections on the cabin.
Screenshot_20230602_090829_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20230602_090952_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20230602_091458_YouTube.jpg

The recent refurbishment at WDW did add Tiana and Prince Naveen dancing in the transition projections from the new hero segment to princess segment.
Screenshot_20230602_092332_YouTube.jpg

AidanCKY

I don't remember riding Splash until I was 14. It was mind-blowing seeing the indoor area for the first time, I thought it was just a drop. And the way the bluegrass music starts up when you get off the second lift hill into the ride proper. It's almost like a transition into the world of Br'er Rabbit. The birdhouse singing HDYD. The geese greeting you. The animals playing NATURAL instruments. The scream on the dip. The vultures taunting you. Dropping into the Briar Patch, which is genius, followed by the calm violins and harmonicas of Zipadeedoodah. Then the finale.

While things were broken when I went in 2021, those feelings remained.

It's all perfect. Now it's gone.
This 100%. It was basically the perfect example of a Disney ride. Brilliant consistent and elaborate theming, great music, a bit of thrill and a cohesive story.

Mostly to be thrown out and screens installed.

Ayla

How many times do we need to debunk this totally made-up story that Disney is cancelling Facilier out of concern for Voodoo/Hoodoo?

Facilier shows up quite regularly in the parks. Every time there's a cohort of villains, he's there. He's there in Fantasmic! (the recently refurbed Fantasmic! which would have been an opportunity to remove him). He's there in the Halloween parade and the Hocus Pocus Spelltacular castle show.

Stop making up stuff.
They have nothing to whine about if they don't make up stuff.

MerlinTheGoat

Facilier was one of the more prominent controversies surrounding the film when it was announced and released. A stereotypical evil black voodoo witch doctor. This was overshadowed to some extent by the character's tremendous popularity, but criticism still persists to this day.

I don't know if this is why he's absent from the ride, but it wouldn't surprise me. There are other similar reasons why they went with the sequel story instead of a book report ride of the movie (such as complaints that Tiana is a frog for 90% of the film).

But regardless, the absence of the best thing about the original movie is going to leave a gaping hole, and it remains to be seen whether they can hope to fill it. They threw away a perfect opportunity to place a Friend's on the Other Side sequence in the flooded cave and final lift. Even if the ride was still a sequel and Facilier only returned temporarily as some sort of resurrection but was returned to hell at the top by Mama Odie.

FettFan

You’re
The story of this ride apparently runs parallel to the upcoming television series, which I suppose they're hoping will be somewhat successful. It's a sequel ride, not a book report ride. People can be annoyed that this didn't go the route of being a book report if they feel that would have fit better, but I don't think the assertion that the ride must include some arbitrary amount of "adversity" or recycle the original villain in order to be successful has much merit given precedent.

EDIT: Sorry, response above got added while I was typing. Didn't meant to ignore it, but sameish thought. It's cool if you think Friends on the Other Side would have fit well; I was just responding to the notion that fantasy rides have some sort of adversity quota. Also, what people define as "good" is pretty arbitrary, so I tried to mention popularity rather than quality whenever possible since that's probably more measurable.

Yeah but it’s a good rule of thumb to make your movie rides have the most memorable parts of your movie.

And let’s face it….Dr. Facilier was the only really memorable part of PatF. Nobody really gave a crap about the rest of it, and that’s why PatF help kill classic Disney animation; while not a financial bust, it underperformed to the point where Iger Disney got stoopid.

They panicked that the word “Princess” in the title was a death sentence for the movie, so their next Princess film was re-named to “Tangled”.

Then Iger Disney panicked that people didn’t want hand-drawn animation anymore, so they nixed the original plan for The Snow Queen in 2D and had it follow Tangled’s lead.

Dammit Iger.
Richard Attenborough No GIF by Jurassic World

Bleed0range

You’re

Yeah but it’s a good rule of thumb to make your movie rides have the most memorable parts of your movie.

And let’s face it….Dr. Facilier was the only really memorable part of PatF. Nobody really gave a crap about the rest of it, and that’s why PatF help kill classic Disney animation; while not a financial bust, it underperformed to the point where Iger Disney got stoopid.

They panicked that the word “Princess” in the title was a death sentence for the movie, so their next Princess film was re-named to “Tangled”.

Then Iger Disney panicked that people didn’t want hand-drawn animation anymore, so they nixed the original plan for The Snow Queen in 2D and had it follow Tangled’s lead.

Dammit Iger.
Richard Attenborough No GIF by Jurassic World

The Snow Queen? You mean Frozen? I don’t know if anyone would be able to argue that whatever decisions they made there were bad ones.

yensidtlaw1969

This 100%. It was basically the perfect example of a Disney ride. Brilliant consistent and elaborate theming, great music, a bit of thrill and a cohesive story.

Mostly to be thrown out and screens installed.

And "Dozens of new Animatronics" representing the main characters from the movie and at least 17 brand new characters.

People seem to conveniently forget that.

FettFan

The Snow Queen? You mean Frozen? I don’t know if anyone would be able to argue that whatever decisions they made there were bad ones.

Yes. It started life as The Snow Queen.
It got its title change and shift away from 2D thanks to the underperformance of PatF.

And yes, shutting down 2D animation was a very bad move, especially when Iger Disney had already bought out Pixar. (Rapunzel/Tangled had already been in development as CGI before the buyout)

You wouldn’t believe the number of people I’ve encountered thar think Tangled, Frozen, and Moana are all Pixar films just because they’re CG.

MerlinTheGoat

Frozen is (very) loosely based on the Snow Queen. Plans by Disney for a more traditional adaptation were around all the way back to the 30s and 40s. Specifically, Disney were originally going to create animated shorts interspersed in MGM's 1952 musical live action Hand Christian Anderson film. A plan to create a feature length Snow Queen adaptation was dabbled with during the renaissance, then killed and revived AGAIN in he early 2000s. And even during the production of Frozen, they had considered making it hand drawn originally early in production.

I have a pretty strong distaste for CGI (except when used in a sort of rotoscoped manner like how Tarzan and other late renaissance era films did it). Being hand drawn would have certainly improved the likes of Tangled and Frozen for me. Though it wouldn't fix all of the gripes I have with the story and music. It'd at least be more visually pleasant to watch.

I enjoy PATF as a whole, not just Facilier. But he is certainly the highlight of the movie. As admittedly a lot of classic traditional Disney villains often are. He stands among some of their best.

It was actually 2011's Winnie the Pooh that put the nail in the coffin for hand drawn animation. Few people even know it exists, and it's a charming (if very short) little film. But some moron over at Disney thought it would be a good idea to 1- give the movie almost no marketing and 2- release it on the same exact day as Deathly Hallows Part 2. It never had a chance. And we never saw a fully hand drawn feature length Disney film again.

CaptainAmerica

It was actually 2011's Winnie the Pooh that put the nail in the coffin for hand drawn animation. Few people even know it exists, and it's a charming (if very short) little film.
It's very good.

There are a couple of exchanges (Owl's "cold"; Piglet and Rabbit discussing knots) that are among the funniest moments in any Disney movie. And the credits song, "So Long," is a banger.

FettFan

was actually 2011's Winnie the Pooh that put the nail in the coffin for hand drawn animation. Few people even know it exists, and it's a charming (if very short) little film. But some moron over at Disney thought it would be a good idea to 1- give the movie almost no marketing and 2- release it on the same exact day as Deathly Hallows Part 2. It never had a chance. And we never saw a fully hand drawn feature length Disney film again.

I would argue that Pooh was actually a victim of Iger-Disney’s response to PatF, seeing as how production started in 2009 before PatF was released, and a number of PatF animators moved over to Pooh.

But after PatF didn’t perform as expected, the die was cast on DFA. Pesonally I’m of the opinion they were trying to leech off James Cameron’s Avatar….there’s this PG-13 science fiction movie being released, might as well offer something more family friendly. Had the released it in any other time, it would have fared better ( Little Mermaid was released 1 week before Thanksgiving in 1989, Beauty and the Beast was Thanksgiving week 1991, Aladdin was Thanksgiving 1992, Lion King was June 1994, Pocahontas June 1995)

Streaming was still a long way off (Netflix was still mail-renting DVDs), so they just sloughed it into theaters with little marketing or fanfare (just as they do with D+ today), while repeating their Avatar strategy by hoping for some return from parents who might think that Harry Potter was too intense for younger kids.

TrainsOfDisney

Disney failed the Br'ers and didn't use Splash Mountain as a springboard to introduce a new generation to these wonderful folktales and the characters from them.
True. How about a Disney+ series on the original tales written, directed, and voiced by storytellers and talent who are from an African American heritage. Wouldn’t that honor the culture more?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom