Avengers Campus: E-Watch! (Waiting on the new ride)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Some might argue it already is a mess. Or at least a miss. ;) I'll take convoluted if it means the land has John Williams music and all the characters and entertainment that people want to see. :D

Again, the parks are filled with lands with unrelated attractions and characters right next to each other. Do you object to Space Mountain being next door to Star Tours? Stitch appearing in the same land as Darth Vader? Or if you want to go with a more "immersive" single themed area - Midway Mania between Emotional Whirlwind and the Incredicoaster? Woody and Bo Peep greeting guests near Sadness and Joy? Then why is there an issue with Rey and Kylo appearing in one area, Padme and Anakin in another, Vader and Chewbacca in another, Mando and Grogu in another and Ahsoka and Sabine in another - in the same land at the same time? Give the fans of ALL of Star Wars a piece of the Star Wars land instead of saying they can't see all of the characters they want to see there.

Does ANYONE actually care about Batuu or the Black Spire Outpost? Or do they care about Star Wars? The place should be the backdrop to GIVE PEOPLE STAR WARS! :p

Folks here may not appreciate Avengers Campus the way I do, but nobody is telling a little kid they can't meet Iron Man or both versions of Captain America or Black Panther there because they're not in the correct timeline or they are not actually in New York City or Wakanda. ;) Which is why Avengers Campus is better than Galaxy's Edge IMO. :)
I think you misunderstand my point. So in this case it seem the most important thing is the characters in the land for you, not really the land itself. Which given your posting about your character interactions makes sense. So I never said I had an issue with removing the era restrictions and having all era of SW characters in the land. Put Darth next to Kylo in a M&G for all I care. For that matter put pod racing young Anakin next to sand hating youngling killing teen Anakin next Vadar and have them all interact with each other in a M&G, it wouldn't matter to me. That is not my issue, I've said before removing the era restriction would be good, so do it. You don't need change anything with the land in order to do that, other than removing the ficitious era restriction that Disney put on the land. So remove it, and that appears to fix most if not all your issues with the land. So yep, add them all tomorrow and I'd be all for it.

My issue with the project was slicing and dicing the land up that is currently purpose built for Batuu, especially the way it was described with Batuu still being the locale for the 2 attractions (as I understood it being described anyways). So that means for this project, again if its real, means to have you go from one new locale at one entrance to Batuu for Rise, to another new locale (presumably where the market and food court are), back to Batuu for Smugglers Run, to another new locale at the other entrance. That is a mess, a very confusing convoluted mess that makes no sense. At that point you might as well just raze the entire land and start over and build it as 3-5 different purpose built areas.

So I have no issues with changing the land, especially if its to add more characters from all eras of SW. But what I don't want is this spaghetti thrown at the wall type of project that just tries to shove mini-lands into the area that don't make sense. Trust me I can wrap my head around almost all of Disney decisions, even those that many here don't agree with and even hate, but this I can't wrap my head around, it makes no sense.

AZDLR

You saying getting rid of the RoA for the project is probably a bridge too far for many here, including @mickEblu who seemed to be into the idea of making changes to GE, probably not now if that is part of the project.
And maybe not even getting rid of it but getting rid of the canoes and just cutting off one side. Where the ship and ferry are stationary. I like the esthetic of the river area but as far as an attraction my family has gone at least 12 or 13 times the past decade and never gone on any of them. Tom sawyers island included. I am surprised they got rid of it in FL where they have a lot of land and 4 under utilized parks. But in CA where space is it a premium that may eventually be a decision they'll have to face. I'm sure not in at least the next decade or so though. They may be able to expand GE without that area if they move some back lot stuff. Not sure how movable all that is.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And maybe not even getting rid of it but getting rid of the canoes and just cutting off one side. Where the ship and ferry are stationary. I like the esthetic of the river area but as far as an attraction my family has gone at least 12 or 13 times the past decade and never gone on any of them. Tom sawyers island included. I am surprised they got rid of it in FL where they have a lot of land and 4 under utilized parks. But in CA where space is it a premium that may eventually be a decision they'll have to face. I'm sure not in at least the next decade or so though. They may be able to expand GE without that area if they move some back lot stuff. Not sure how movable all that is.
Again I think even just that would be a bridge too far for many Disney fans. You should have seen all the uproar here when they just shortened RoA for GE, and now you're suggesting removing even just the back side of it, yeah many would not be happy about it.

They have a whole lot space they could add to GE before they would even need to touch RoA. For example Pooh and the other unused area around there is at least another almost 2 acre. Adding that to the already 14 acres for GE and you have enough space with 16 acres. And that doesn't even mention area they can claim via DLForward if they wanted to. That is a huge plot of land they can use for expanding GE if they wanted, and didn't require touching RoA at all.

MistaDee

I haven't checked in since before the weekend and don't care to go back and read all the pages I missed but just wanted to state that I am horrified by the idea of filling in Walt's Rivers of America. It is strange that they chose to fill in the rivers in Florida where they are blessed with space, but I believe that the alterations made for Galaxy's Edge and the importance of Fantasmic for nighttime entertainment mean we'll be able to retain our slightly smaller RoA loop for the next 50 years at least.

I also don't think trying to cram more than two Star Wars planets into a single land would translate that effectively. I'm really arguing that Star Wars as an IP has far more rich, immersive, iconic locations that could be theme park lands compared to the MCU. I'm not claiming I have a perfect idea for how that should be executed, but rather that Star Wars offers far more to work with for themed lands than the MCU does.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I think you misunderstand my point. So in this case it seem the most important thing is the characters in the land for you, not really the land itself. Which given your posting about your character interactions makes sense. So I never said I had an issue with removing the era restrictions and having all era of SW characters in the land. Put Darth next to Kylo in a M&G for all I care. For that matter put pod racing young Anakin next to sand hating youngling killing teen Anakin next Vadar and have them all interact with each other in a M&G, it wouldn't matter to me. That is not my issue, I've said before removing the era restriction would be good, so do it. You don't need change anything with the land in order to do that, other than removing the ficitious era restriction that Disney put on the land. So remove it, and that appears to fix most if not all your issues with the land. So yep, add them all tomorrow and I'd be all for it.

My issue with the project was slicing and dicing the land up that is currently purpose built for Batuu, especially the way it was described with Batuu still being the locale for the 2 attractions (as I understood it being described anyways). So that means for this project, again if its real, means to have you go from one new locale at one entrance to Batuu for Rise, to another new locale (presumably where the market and food court are), back to Batuu for Smugglers Run, to another new locale at the other entrance. That is a mess, a very confusing convoluted mess that makes no sense. At that point you might as well just raze the entire land and start over and build it as 3-5 different purpose built areas.

So I have no issues with changing the land, especially if its to add more characters from all eras of SW. But what I don't want is this spaghetti thrown at the wall type of project that just tries to shove mini-lands into the area that don't make sense. Trust me I can wrap my head around almost all of Disney decisions, even those that many here don't agree with and even hate, but this I can't wrap my head around, it makes no sense.
I guess my question then is - with the understanding that I haven't gone on either attraction there due to motion sickness issues - do they have to actually be in Batuu at all or can they be happening anywhere else?

My sense is that ROTR has a story connection, so let that area be "Batuu", but let the new SR story take place at a random spaceport. Boom. No more "the whole land is Batuu and can't be split up." :)

And while adding non-timelocked characters and music and entertainment - ahem, Jedi Training Academy at a minimum - would IMO vastly improve the place, I still think it's lacking due to the early budget cuts. It still needs a Jabba's palace or a proper sized cantina. Oga's was cool to visit for five minutes once, but it's way too small for the land's needs and a bar is not a fun place for the family. A third attraction in the land would help, too. But yeah, characters and music and entertainment and blowing up the timelocked thing would be a really good - and easy - start.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I guess my question then is - with the understanding that I haven't gone on either attraction there due to motion sickness issues - do they have to actually be in Batuu at all or can they be happening anywhere else?

My sense is that ROTR has a story connection, so let that area be "Batuu", but let the new SR story take place at a random spaceport. Boom. No more "the whole land is Batuu and can't be split up." :)

And while adding non-timelocked characters and music and entertainment - ahem, Jedi Training Academy at a minimum - would IMO vastly improve the place, I still think it's lacking due to the early budget cuts. It still needs a Jabba's palace or a proper sized cantina. Oga's was cool to visit for five minutes once, but it's way too small for the land's needs and a bar is not a fun place for the family. A third attraction in the land would help, too. But yeah, characters and music and entertainment and blowing up the timelocked thing would be a really good - and easy - start.
Moved my response to the GE thread. Anyone else that wants to continue the SW discussion I suggest move it also over to the GE thread. We've polluted this thread long enough with the SW talk.

MistaDee

And while adding non-timelocked characters and music and entertainment - ahem, Jedi Training Academy at a minimum - would IMO vastly improve the place, I still think it's lacking due to the early budget cuts.

DCA/Avengers Campus could definitely use some training academy energy.

With Avengers Infinity Dense and Flight Lab coming, do you guys think Avengers Campus will see any new entertainment or walk around experiences?

I'd love to see a "Into the Spiderverse" projection mapped multiverse show with their stunt AA

wityblack

With Avengers Infinity Dense and Flight Lab coming, do you guys think Avengers Campus will see any new entertainment or walk around experiences?

I'd love to see a "Into the Spiderverse" projection mapped multiverse show with their stunt AA
I'm not sure how much space they have to spread out kids and do training with them, but they could repurpose the Doctor Strange show into something more training academy-esque. Bring out a bad guy and have kids use their latent sorcerer powers to defeat them.

coffeefan

I haven't checked in since before the weekend and don't care to go back and read all the pages I missed but just wanted to state that I am horrified by the idea of filling in Walt's Rivers of America. It is strange that they chose to fill in the rivers in Florida where they are blessed with space, but I believe that the alterations made for Galaxy's Edge and the importance of Fantasmic for nighttime entertainment mean we'll be able to retain our slightly smaller RoA loop for the next 50 years at least.

I also don't think trying to cram more than two Star Wars planets into a single land would translate that effectively. I'm really arguing that Star Wars as an IP has far more rich, immersive, iconic locations that could be theme park lands compared to the MCU. I'm not claiming I have a perfect idea for how that should be executed, but rather that Star Wars offers far more to work with for themed lands than the MCU does.

I think RoA is safe, too, but they should add a more popular attraction to the island since space is such a premium. I was thinking of a family coaster similar to how Disney Paris has BTM on an island. It would have to be small but with lots of theming and make use of its surroundings. I don't know a Disney IP that would quite fit, but personally, I would love it if Disney borrowed the rights to Goonies because I think that would fit perfectly.

I agree that Star Wars has more iconic and unique locations than Marvel. I think the best way for Disney to execute it is to build new lands in other parks, including DCA or the Disney Forward area.

Phroobar

Turn the Hungry Bear into a queue for the Country Bear's Jamboree coaster. The coaster will bridge over the river and take over all of TSI. Add lots of trees for near misses. The coaster would be considered a family coaster with a lower height limit. Add AA characters of the bears along the track.

britain

I think RoA is safe, too, but they should add a more popular attraction to the island since space is such a premium. I was thinking of a family coaster similar to how Disney Paris has BTM on an island. It would have to be small but with lots of theming and make use of its surroundings. I don't know a Disney IP that would quite fit, but personally, I would love it if Disney borrowed the rights to Goonies because I think that would fit perfectly.

I agree that Star Wars has more iconic and unique locations than Marvel. I think the best way for Disney to execute it is to build new lands in other parks, including DCA or the Disney Forward area.

Oh Goonies would make all the pirate stuff on the island work much better than Tom Sawyer’s one throw-away line about pretending to be pirates!

Phroobar

Oh Goonies would make all the pirate stuff on the island work much better than Tom Sawyer’s one throw-away line about pretending to be pirates!

Skeleton Crew is about a bunch of kids being chased by pirates. They could add elements from the show and tie TSI into Galaxy's Edge!!

iu

MarvelCharacterNerd

Aside from Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance-Off? Currently that doesn't seem to be running the "invite kids up to dance" version but it comes and goes. Warriors of Wakanda teaching weapons training I think is still around too, though like all entertainment was cut back recently.

Plus the characters regularly play games with guests. Hang out on Campus and you'll see everything from Thor & Loki testing people's worthiness to lift Mjolnir, various characters playing Telephone whispers, Red Light/Green Light, Rock Paper Scissors, charades and more.

Avengers Campus is full of character interactions for large groups - with plenty aimed at kids and others aimed for all ages. :)

MistaDee

Aside from Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance-Off? Currently that doesn't seem to be running the "invite kids up to dance" version but it comes and goes. Warriors of Wakanda teaching weapons training I think is still around too, though like all entertainment was cut back recently.

Plus the characters regularly play games with guests. Hang out on Campus and you'll see everything from Thor & Loki testing people's worthiness to lift Mjolnir, various characters playing Telephone whispers, Red Light/Green Light, Rock Paper Scissors, charades and more.

Avengers Campus is full of character interactions for large groups - with plenty aimed at kids and others aimed for all ages. :)

I guess I just wish it was....better?

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Of all the lands in DLR with characters interactions I think that AC is the most stacked. It basically took the original concept of walk around characters and turned it up to 11.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Of all the lands in DLR with characters interactions I think that AC is the most stacked. It basically took the original concept of walk around characters and turned it up to 11.
I'll give credit to Fantasyland characters who also still get some similar interactions with guests. Specifically thinking of the Mad Hatter & Alice playing musical chairs and having "tea parties" with guests, along with Peter Pan & Wendy reading from storybooks to kids. It's been a minute since I've seen the characters play Duck, Duck, Goose with kids but it has happened in the past. Caught Chip 'n Dale playing charades at Grizzly Peak in DCA last year I think.

But yeah, Avengers Campus knocks it out of the park (pun intended) with characters playing with the guests and constantly trying out new experiences. :)

MarvelCharacterNerd

I guess I just wish it was....better?
If you don't think it's fun, then I don't think you've been there enough, or maybe it's just not for you, which is fine. :)

But really - there is SO MUCH of that kind of interaction with guests there that happens often and guests love it when they come across it. These are just a handful off the top of my head:

MistaDee

If you don't think it's fun, then I don't think you've been there enough, or maybe it's just not for you, which is fine. :)

But really - there is SO MUCH of that kind of interaction with guests there that happens often and guests love it when they come across it. These are just a handful off the top of my head:

I'm glad someone loves it! You are Marvel Character Nerd after all haha

To me though, this ^ is all pretty pedestrian, the sort of interactions you'd expect from any Disney character in the park. I guess I'd like to see a more structured experience for the Avengers to recruit or train up some kids and do an activity with some special effects.

When I've gone with kids, the feeling of fighting Darth Vader at the Training Academy - or even the spark of joy that comes from being the one to pull the sword out of the stone, that's what I feel like Avengers Campus lacks but would be a slam dunk if they could elevate the experiences they do have.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I'm glad someone loves it! You are Marvel Character Nerd after all haha
:D
To me though, this ^ is all pretty pedestrian, the sort of interactions you'd expect from any Disney character in the park. I guess I'd like to see a more structured experience for the Avengers to recruit or train up some kids and do an activity with some special effects.
Fair enough on some of it, but the guests do enjoy all of it. Trying to lift Mjolnir is their Sword in the Stone bit. There have been various formal training experiences - aside from the Dance Off and Warriors of Wakanda, there was the spy training exercises with Nick Fury, and the Doctor Strange show (RIP) did utilize "magic" and lighting effects.

Although ironically, the best Marvel live entertainment show was adjacent to Campus - the late lamented Rogers: The Musical at the Hyperion, which was so much better than anyone could have expected. It was just a delight and sorely missed.

But while there's always room for improvement throughout the parks, watching a kid interact with a hero - in any capacity - is a win. And the Campus provides that constantly.
When I've gone with kids, the feeling of fighting Darth Vader at the Training Academy - or even the spark of joy that comes from being the one to pull the sword out of the stone, that's what I feel like Avengers Campus lacks but would be a slam dunk if they could elevate the experiences they do have.
To me the joy stuff comes from WEB Slingers where everyone gets to sling webs. I know plenty here put it down, but I really like the experience and so do plenty of people I see exiting with big smiles or kids talking excitedly about it before and after.

But I'll agree that fighting Darth Vader with a light saber was AWESOME for kids and needs to be brought back ASAP. :)

MistaDee

:D

Fair enough on some of it, but the guests do enjoy all of it. Trying to lift Mjolnir is their Sword in the Stone bit. There have been various formal training experiences - aside from the Dance Off and Warriors of Wakanda, there was the spy training exercises with Nick Fury, and the Doctor Strange show (RIP) did utilize "magic" and lighting effects.

I haven't seen the Mjolnir bit! Is Doctor Strange done forever? That was a nice little offering

Although ironically, the best Marvel live entertainment show was adjacent to Campus - the late lamented Rogers: The Musical at the Hyperion, which was so much better than anyone could have expected. It was just a delight and sorely missed.
100% agree - I'd take any musical back in the Hyperion

But while there's always room for improvement throughout the parks, watching a kid interact with a hero - in any capacity - is a win. And the Campus provides that constantly.
Yeah as an IP it really naturally sets up for those sort of moments. I wonder if Stark Flight Lab will have any supporting entertainment in a similar vein

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom