The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

mattpeto

Here We are!!!! Last Week!!! Not the 50th we wanted but looks a lot better than Closed Parks on March 27(I'm just using Today's Date), 2020!!!

We got and Keeping SSE Lights!

DE was good! Not HEA but maybe not enough Respect???
Harm, good but prob wrong Lagoon.

Thank you TDO for trying the 50th.......Thank God we got Fireworks Back 3 Months eariler!!!!!

Now on to Proven Hit Shows: HEA & EF!!!!!!! Hopefully more Entertainment on the way!!!!!!

I won't include rides, they were coming anyway..

The good ones for me:

+Spaceship Earth Beacons
+Harmonious (nighttime edition)
+Statues
+Decor for castle
+50th intro for Enchantment (better late than never)
+Magic is Calling song
+50th cavalcade
+some moments in Enchantment

The bad ones:

-AK complete neglect (see KiteTails)
-Harmonious (daytime edition)
-Original Enchantment wasn't nostalgic at all
-Other Beacons (they were okay - but honestly never caught them live - didn't play enough)
-Should have had a temp replacement for FoF or brough a nighttime parade

While not part of the 50th, let's add that the Magical Express and free line skipping died during it's run.

I'd put 50th overall as mixed bag, but not an abomination. And some of that is on Covid.

ToTBellHop

Here We are!!!! Last Week!!! Not the 50th we wanted but looks a lot better than Closed Parks on March 27(I'm just using Today's Date), 2020!!!

Thank you TDO for trying the 50th.......Thank God we got Fireworks Back 3 Months eariler!!!!!

Now on to Proven Hit Shows: HEA & EF!!!!!!! Hopefully more Entertainment on the way!!!!!!

My favorite part was 4/1/23.

And I called them on 10/1/21 and was left on hold. No one would answer the call.

Jerks.

Touchdown

It’s exactly how I want my 50th to go, honestly. I want people to pretend it’s not happening because I’m afraid to grow old and die.

But there can be cupcakes. Just make sure they don’t look like birthday cupcakes. Just like…we are having dessert just ‘cuz.
My suggestion is to not be home for your birthday makes it better. Celebrating my 40th in a few months, that day I will be in the glass roofed car of the Durango and Silverton Railroad throughly enjoying myself.

wtyy21

The WDW's 50th was generally flop for me i believe, like Strange World theatrical release. They originally didn't much listen to the guests about the need of nostalgia for the 50th. I hope they learned a lesson from its flopped celebration for Disney 100th anniversary worldwide celebration.

ToTBellHop

My suggestion is to not be home for your birthday makes it better. Celebrating my 40th in a few months, that day I will be in the glass roofed car of the Durango and Silverton Railroad throughly enjoying myself.
I’m going on a cruise for my 40th next year. Think I’ll get the deluxe beverage package…and I don’t even drink.

Separate cruise for my wife’s 40th because we both deserve one. But she invited her parents…think she will need the deluxe beverage package…

vikescaper

My favorite part was when someone thought that my mother was going to take their Starbucks tumbler on 10/1/21. For reference, my mother had zero interest in those tumblers.

DCBaker

Premium Member
From the Disney Springs Instagram account -

IMG_5E86B5F3D952-1.jpeg

Bocabear

I am still baffled that they could get Disneyland's 50th so right...down to the magical windows on Main Street, and get WDW's 50th so tone-deaf wrong...And it wasn't Covid...it was a lack of understanding about nostalgia for the brand, it was a lot of little touches... It was the overall plan.
Yes! I like the EPCOT SSE Beacon lighting...and am baffled that it didn't happen years ago.
The biggest flub of all was WDW's Iconic Castle...the Castle that was Unique to this park from it's inception. The beautiful French Renaissance Gothic Palace that is Cinderella's Castle....Why turn it pink? Disneyland has Sleeping Beauty's Pink Castle... WDW always had the majestic blue and grey Cinderella's Castle.
Nothing says Celebrate Walt Disney World like making the main icon for the park resemble the icons of other parks....
And we really needed those magical Windows on Main Street....

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am still baffled that they could get Disneyland's 50th so right...down to the magical windows on Main Street, and get WDW's 50th so tone-deaf wrong...And it wasn't Covid...it was a lack of understanding about nostalgia for the brand, it was a lot of little touches... It was the overall plan.
Yes! I like the EPCOT SSE Beacon lighting...and am baffled that it didn't happen years ago.
The biggest flub of all was WDW's Iconic Castle...the Castle that was Unique to this park from it's inception. The beautiful French Renaissance Gothic Palace that is Cinderella's Castle....Why turn it pink? Disneyland has Sleeping Beauty's Pink Castle... WDW always had the majestic blue and grey Cinderella's Castle.
Nothing says Celebrate Walt Disney World like making the main icon for the park resemble the icons of other parks....
And we really needed those magical Windows on Main Street....
It’s much simpler than that…

You are correct that the “plans” were in place long before Covid and Slaphead…
He might have come up with them…but big shot Bobby green lighted them.

But what they did…or more accurately DIDN’T do…just reflects the different clientele.

Disneyland is half APs and have tastes and expectations to be met. If you try to half it like they did in Orlando - it would have flopped day 1.

Orlando crowds you can sell sand to in the desert. No expectations and the “cult of spend”

For decades (if someone doesn’t off me😎) we’re gonna see “it’s a shame what they had to cancel FOR THE 50TH…”

Nope. As was predicted before when people spun that nonsense: they didn’t have to sell what people were staying up at night begging to buy anyway.
They just wrapped it in purple.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom