Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

TP2000

Uh, no, this is literally Disney PR 101 for the past decade plus. There's nothing out of the ordinary here.

You yourself have made a habit of pointing out their weird PRspeak, so you of all people should be aware of this.

People are playing ignorant about the well-established and questionable habits of Disney PR because they want to be BIG MAD.

I get that, but I think there's a key difference here with this messy PR on the Tiana project.

I've made fun of them for calling a pleasantly generic strip mall a "Dynamic Multi-Cultural Lifestyle Space" (Gawd, I loved that one. 🤣)

And the word pablum they belched up this past spring about the new DVC tower at the Disneyland Hotel was almost as hilarious. There was also the time-traveling Latina of incredible wealth who decided to open a Christmas shop on Main Street USA. Etc., etc. They've been generous in the laugh department the past few years, that is true.

But the details they are choosing to release on all these minor pre-show elements, that will never be noticed or even be able to be seen in the narrow, crowded hallways of the line is something else entirely. It's been taken to a new level with this project, and it's fascinating to watch them do it for some reason.

I'm still fairly optimistic about the ride itself, again because of the fabulous music and infectious happy tone the movie and Mark Twain show had. Plus the zippy ride system and track layout of this excellent log ride will still be there.

They have such wonderful source material to work with that they're going to have to work really hard to screw this one up, but the PR they're releasing so far is giving me pause.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Again, I subscribe to Forbes. I read that article when it first came out last year. As I remember it now, it was a puff piece. Corporate communications teams send those sorts of articles out all the time on selected executives they want to tout and hold up to the press for whatever reason. It's a PR thing almost all big companies do to build buzz and good will from investors.

The Forbes article didn't say much of anything about what her actual role is on this log ride, or about the log ride itself. (Or else we would have discussed that article here, which we didn't because it didn't say much.) The article just said that she's a fun and beloved member of the WDI team and Disney's Board of Directors would love to have you feel good about that. See your investment professional for more details.
Why don’t you reach out to her directly and ask her then?

TP2000

Are they gonna fit all this crap in the barn or something? Splash's queue is not exactly given the blessing of space in DL (and WDW to an extent) so it'll either go there or on the extremely narrow walls covered in quotes from Uncle Remus.

That's exactly my concern.

They're going to try and present this undergrad-level history lesson in this space...

DSC_8284.jpg

Kirby86

Are they gonna fit all this crap in the barn or something? Splash's queue is not exactly given the blessing of space in DL (and WDW to an extent) so it'll either go there or on the extremely narrow walls covered in quotes from Uncle Remus.
I'd assume the radio message will be played in the barn but both queues aren't exactly blessed with space as you said.

PiratesMansion

I get that, but I think there's a key difference here with this messy PR on the Tiana project.

I've made fun of them for calling a pleasantly generic strip mall a "Dynamic Multi-Cultural Lifestyle Space" (Gawd, I loved that one. 🤣)

And the word pablum they belched up this past spring about the new DVC tower at the Disneyland Hotel was almost as hilarious. There was also the time-traveling Latina of incredible wealth who decided to open a Christmas shop on Main Street USA. Etc., etc. They've been generous in the laugh department the past few years, that is true.

But the details they are choosing to release on all these minor pre-show elements, that will never be noticed or even be able to be seen in the narrow, crowded hallways of the line is something else entirely. It's been taken to a new level with this project, and it's fascinating to watch them do it for some reason.

I'm still fairly optimistic about the ride itself, again because of the fabulous music and infectious happy tone the movie and Mark Twain show had. Plus the zippy ride system and track layout of this excellent log ride will still be there.

They have such wonderful source material to work with that they're going to have to work really hard to screw this one up, but the PR they're releasing so far is giving me pause.
Sounds pretty much like same old, same old to me. The only notable difference is that it's attached to what was Splash Mountain.

What did they do in the past? Make outrageous claims and/or focus on details almost no one was going to care about, often (but not always) while trying to be inclusive.

How is this any different except for the element of the park it is attached to, and that there is a larger market than usual for dunking on Disney because of the unique circumstances of this project?

TP2000

Derision then. Either way, it’s petty and beneath someone of your intelligence.

I've thought about this comment for a few moments. I'm not going to stop commenting the way I have been.

Just as Walt poked fun at his "Sharp Pencil Boys", we can poke fun at whoever is in charge of PR for this Tiana project.

As for executives being off limits of discussion... Since I joined them in the mid 90's, Disneyland fan boards have been vocal and critical of anything and everything that Disneyland releases to the public. And when senior executive names get used in those conversations, it's appropriate because that comes with the territory of being a senior leader. (I would never name a specific hourly CM or low-level supervisor type in criticism, because that's not okay or appropriate, and almost everyone else here does that as well.)

Also, I invented the term "Dockers-clad Manager", and that's even better than using a legal name. :cool:

But senior executives are different. Thus we have easy name familiarity with Tony Baxter, and Bruce Gordon, and Kim Irvine, and Paul Pressler and Bob Chapek and Bob Gurr and Matt Ouimet and Cynthia Harriss and the TDA President Du Jour (fill in name), all of whom have been criticized or lauded over the years. The best ones get both treatments.

Specific to the Tiana project, I will let my polite yet clear concerns about a trained accountant working their way into the role of Creative Executive Producer stand.

It's an unusual career path for someone to take, from financial compliance to Saxaphone playing alligators. 🤔

TP2000

I'd assume the radio message will be played in the barn but both queues aren't exactly blessed with space as you said.

Let's hope that if this radio message is integral to the plot (but what isn't at this point?), that they invest in very good audio tech that can target a clear and concise message to the crowd. It's loud and chaotic in spaces like that, and most people aren't paying attention.

Even in very carefully designed and staged pre-shows nowadays, the dialogue from an animatronic giving us backstory and key plot often just sounds like "Blah-blah-blah recruits, we need your help to blah-blah-blah."

If it's just an old-timey radio show playing over the speakers, it's going to need to be very targeted and concise to get the plot point across in the crowded and noisy, narrow hallways of the Splash Mountain queue.

LittleBuford

Specific to the Tiana project, I will let my polite yet clear concerns about a trained accountant working their way into the role of Creative Executive Producer stand.
They’re not polite, though. Repeatedly mocking someone when, by your own admission, you know next to nothing of her career or abilities is actually quite vindictive, no matter how clever or seemingly genial your language is.

But you do you, I guess.

SuddenStorm

Today's WDI in a nutshell:

We need your hands!!!! Because I'm a raccoon, I don't have hands!!!! So I need your hands to trigger the whatchamacallit which will release the thingamajig!!! Get ready!!! Raise your hands to be scanned or something!!!!

And people don't understand why some of us are terrified at the thought of modern WDI messing with Splash, or any of classic Disneyland for that matter.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Uh, no, this is literally Disney PR 101 for the past decade plus. There's nothing out of the ordinary here.

You yourself have made a habit of pointing out their weird PRspeak, so you of all people should be aware of this.

But it's more fun for people to play ignorant about the well-established and questionable habits of Disney PR because they want to be BIG MAD.
Biggety-big MAD.

PiratesMansion

And people don't understand why some of us are terrified at the thought of modern WDI messing with Splash, or any of classic Disneyland for that matter.
I don't see anyone here who doesn't understand, or is unaware of the issues modern WDI has with design/attractions/etc.

I do see people who are willing to wait and see, some people who want to give Disney the benefit of the doubt but have some doubts based on what we've learned, and those who are (and have been) looking for any reason to condemn this change, as they have been from the moment this was all announced.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I don't see anyone here who doesn't understand, or is unaware of the issues modern WDI has with design/attractions/etc.

I do see people who are willing to wait and see, some people who want to give Disney the benefit of the doubt but have some doubts based on what we've learned, and those who are (and have been) looking for any reason to condemn this change, as they have been from the moment this was all announced.
Some of us are simply choosing not to dwell on the issues with modern Imagineering because doing so is rather pointless.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Here is what the article actually says:

Meet Charita Carter, The First African-American Woman Executive Producer Of Walt Disney Imagineering​

Yolanda Baruch Oct 18, 2022,

Two years ago, the nation endured a summer of civil unrest, and out of that tumultuous time emerged rallying calls for increased efforts of diversity and inclusion in every facet of society. Walt Disney World took note and launched its Reimagining Tomorrow initiative that seeks to represent marginalized voices in the various tiers of its offerings ranging from the company's parks, merchandise, and entertainment.

Recently, Disney announced they were upgrading Splash Mountain to Tiana's Bayou Adventure, a move that Disney aficionados perceived as controversial because they opposed the change. Understanding the nostalgia its customers held for the ride, the multinational and media conglomerate remained steadfast in its decision to become more inclusive.

To bring the adventure to life the Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, the first African-American princess from the fan-favorite animated film, The Princess and the Frog, as a ride at Disneyland Park in California and Magic Kingdom Park in Florida, Disney tapped Charita Carter, an African-American woman, as lead on the project. Based on her corporate bio, Carter works as an executive producer; she is responsible for creating, collaborating, and developing Disney Parks experiences from ideation to execution.

Recently, Carter held the position of senior creative producer and development manager of Walt Disney Imagineering's Scenic Illusion team, a cohesive integration group committed to developing new applications and techniques to furnish designers efficiently with multiple storytelling capabilities. Imagineering is "the branch of the Disney company that comes up with the ideas and the execution for [its] parks, for [its] cruise ships, and for [its]shows." Under Carter's tutelage, this team was granted more than 20 patents for the Walt Disney Company and implemented attractions for Walt Disney World, Disneyland, and Tokyo Disney Resort. She also produced the critically-acclaimed Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway attraction at Disney's Hollywood Studios, the premier ride-through in the history of the parks to feature Mickey and Minnie Mouse.

Before embarking on the pathway to an Imagineering career, Carter served as a senior accountant. She has a degree in Accounting from California State University Northridge. Carter worked as the Creative Development Division's finance manager and strategic business partner. Later, she grew into the role of Blue Sky Strategic Initiatives development manager and then advanced to show producer.

Armed with a multidisciplinary background that includes creative, finance, and accounting, and over two decades of experience honing her skills on Walt Disney Imagineering teams, it's understandable why she led the Tiana’s Bayou Adventure ride efforts. Once unveiled and open to the public, the attraction will allow Disney park attendees to experience an enchanting adventure.

"I have been with Walt Disney Imagineering for 25 years, so when I worked in finance, I worked for Imagineering because Imagineering has many disciplines. I had worked as a general ledger accountant before coming to Disney, and I'd love to tell [this] story; when I came to interview, the accounting director asked me to hang out for a minute because he was running a little late. Of course, I would hang out all day because I was looking for a job. But I was able to listen to the conversation that he was trying to wrap up, and it was two individuals who had worked in finance, and they were transitioning to creative," she says. "I thought that was the most bizarre thing I had ever heard of, but little did I know, within about ten years, that would be partially my story."

Carter worked as an accountant in the Imagineering department for a couple of years before transferring to the creative division's financial analyst role. With no previous work experience as a financial analyst, a completely different discipline from accounting, Carter took a slight disadvantage and molded the position into her own. As part of her responsibilities, she managed the annual budget for the department. She had to acclimate her to their operation, ensuring they had the necessary financial resources, equipment, and staff to bring the ideas to fruition.

"It was almost like this baptism by fire because I had three or four weeks to get it all done. But when I was in accounting, I used to be an auditor, and I would have to walk into an organization and read about their business, whether it was manufacturing or service. Then I looked at the generally accepted accounting principles. I had to come in and quickly make an assessment to make recommendations to their leadership on how they could improve their margins, their inventory, or whatever they were trying to solve," Carter expounds, also describing how centrally managed the division was at the time.

During that period, a singular Vice President was supervising the creative unit, and one director focused on the ideation of Blue Sky Studios, Inc. The animation film studio eventually closed down on April 7, 2021, due to the economic downturn brought on by the pandemic.

Carter recalls that upper management noticed a glimmer within her and began giving her assignments to scout at senior art shows and look for potential interns. "I remember the VP, she went with me to one show, and I shadowed her around, and the second show, she said, 'Okay, we're going to split up, and I want you to go and select who you think would be appropriate for the group, and I'm going to do the same.' When we got back together, at the end of the day, I picked ten people, and eight of the people that I had picked, she had picked, and she's like, 'You got it.'"

The executive ushered Carter into working on the finance side with show producers and had to learn what their days entailed. Carter noticed they disliked receiving her notes as a financial analyst requesting information from them to complete her reports because it interrupted their schedule. She decided to streamline the process to expedite collecting the needed details.

"I think there was a realization from the senior producers. Wait a minute, the more information she knows, the better; she can make our lives, so that was my invitation into the room," she says, letting out a hearty laugh.

"So the next thing I know, I'm sitting in ideation sessions and project meetings where we're talking about how we will approach a particular project. Then I'm having ideas about how we can streamline and how we can focus. Being in the room and hearing that just started sparking something in me, and I realized, 'wait a minute, this is intriguing.' So I went to leadership, and I asked them, could I do a survey of the senior people? The question that I wanted to ask was if the reigns were completely ours as Imagineers, what would we be focusing on from a Blue Sky perspective? Where will we be for the next five years? I did a survey, connected the dots, put together a proposal, and presented it to management."

The executives accepted her presentation when Bob Iger was preparing for retirement and for the Disney corporation's new chairman of parks and resorts. Bob Chapek succeeded Iger as CEO, previously serving as the Chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products and as the Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

Carter's leadership at Imagineering presented her proposal for ideation to Chapek, who was looking for an opportunity, Carter believed, to quickly put his mark on Imagineering. "He liked what he heard. He greenlit it, and he funded it," she remembers, adding that her employer invited her to manage the proposal and establish the programs. Carter immediately jumped at the opportunity and developed a roadmap and initiatives described in her plan.

Blue Sky director John George urged Carter to partner with a Disneyland director who was a well-respected creative and special effect expert. "As you can imagine, working with him every day was a masterclass, and we were able to put together some programs. We managed this group called the Scenic Illusion group, and basically, it was a bunch of people with theatrical backgrounds," she says.

"We were responsible for updating and bringing new techniques to the table so that our creative directors, as they were dreaming about the possibilities for guest experiences, we'd have more to work with; we had some success and had a number of patents that we started getting a critical mass of these techniques that were being adopted. Then it was time to get it into our pipeline to get it into our projects so we could get it in front of our guests. I stepped in and said, 'I'd be happy to do that,' part of it was ignorance was bliss."

Armed with confidence from working on the ground level with a talented group of people at Imagineering launched her from managing a creative development team to producing. The initial projects she started refining were the Disneyland classics, now fortified with new tools; Carter's mission was to revisit the stories and execute them with a fresh perspective.

For two scenes from Snow White's Scary Adventure at Disneyland, her team utilized projection mapping, an immersive technology that projects imagery on surfaces spanning from 3D animation to video.

"We were able to do that, not only for the guests but also for our operators and our maintenance crew at Disneyland to test how our new tools were going to work, and they worked out beautifully. They asked us to come back and make it permanent," Carter informs. Disney also commissioned her to update scenes in the Indiana Jones Adventure, Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow, a walk-through animated attraction at Disney Hollywood Studios.

Carter branched out and oversaw the first fully theatrical projected shows in collaboration with the live entertainment group in Tokyo and continued with the development of the first Mickey and Minnie ride attraction allowing to put Disney's guests into a cartoon.

"That ended up being an amazing experience. I worked with one of the most prolific and talented creative directors I think I've ever known [like] Kevin Rafferty, and we were able to get together and lead a team of people for this attraction, and it was just absolutely amazing. I felt the way we approached; it was a combination of the work I had been doing over the last decade in the lab," she speaks ecstatically, expressing how satisfied she was about her achievements. But she admits that she hit a brick wall with Imagineering, doubtful she could top her current work experiences. However, as an Imagineer, Carter should expect that Disney never rests on its laurels as an innovator of family entertainment.

Before the pandemic turned the world upside down, the Mickey and Minnie attraction was open for nine days. A few months later, the then President of Walt Disney Imagineering, Bob Weis, contacted Carter and told her that "we are bringing Princess Tiana to both Magic Kingdom and Disneyland, and we would like you to be the producer," she disclosed as tears flooded her face. She communicates that her creative journey as an Imagineer was only just unfolding.

The preliminary conceptualizations by Blue Sky fueled the current ideas that helped to complete Princess Tiana's Bayou Adventure attraction. Carter's team is presently solidifying the script for the ride, which is the synergistic phase, "People get together in a room, [with] a board, [and] start throwing stuff on the board, pin it up, and have a conversation, and you read people's body language."

However, the pandemic halted in-person creative interaction, and the group had to rely on Zoom calls to continue constructing the project. Carter worked with Carmen Smith, Senior Vice President, and Executive Creative Development Product/Content and Inclusive Strategies for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products; she made sure to supply the teams with connections, knowledge, and the necessary tools to work on the design. Since the employees could not travel to New Orleans, Louisiana, where Princess Tiana's story takes place, one of their colleagues who worked in New Orleans provided the team members with virtual tours of the location by using her iPhone on a gimbal.

"We're getting ready to go into our production phase where we start building stuff, then next we'll be at a point where we start installing. We will have previews for our guests, cut that ribbon, and then we get to be opened up to the world," Carter promises of the ride that will be available to the public in late 2024.

When the animated film "Princess and The Frog" premiered in 2009, it was met with jubilation. "Finally, here is something that all little girls, especially young black girls, can embrace," Cori Murray, the then entertainment director at Essence magazine, said to CNN. The first Disney-animated African American princess impacted young girls to women who finally had the chance to see themselves reflected in a cherished art form.

Carter recollects, outfitted in a green dress, going to a fundraiser at a museum in New Orleans that selected Princess Tiana as the theme with a group of Imagineers. "There was a sense of inspiration and pride in seeing that, but I remember going to this particular ball, and the majority of the African-American people there were serving. They were either in the kitchen or doing various things. I remember walking in with my dress on, and one of the waiters asked, 'Do you have a minute?' I'm going to cry when I tell the story," Carter becomes visibly emotional as her voice shakes and eyes well up with tears as she retells the poignant story.

"And I said, 'Sure.' I walked back toward the back, and they had all lined up and started clapping. They shared what Tiana meant to them and what it meant for me to be at that ball. Tiana inspires me because she represents a woman who looks like me, has a dream, works very hard, and won't take no for an answer; she overcame and then wanted to turn back and make sure that everybody else was healthy and whole in realizing their dreams. So I see myself in her, and I wasn't planning on crying," she sentimentally remarks.

She attempts to choke back her tears as she continues to speak and acknowledges how attendees at the D23 Expo have expressed their gratitude. The people of New Orleans have also thanked her for building Princess Tiana's Bayou Adventure. "It's one of those realizations that it's so much bigger than me or anybody on the team to be a part of it; it's an honor," she weeps as her voice trails off, engulfed in an overwhelmingly gentle appreciation.

Within a few moments, as she returns to a tranquil composure, she addresses the concern about how the lack of representation on television and film has affected minorities, "We've learned to self-impose ourselves on the heroes that we face. I would see Wonder Woman and be able to self-impose, but it's not the same. When you look and say they look like me it's all the difference in the world. It's just so amazing that the Disney company is, in my mind leading right now, making sure that we have representation across the board. I think the impact that will have on our society and on young people we can't even imagine at this juncture, what the impact that will have on the future," she powerfully states.

Carter embraces the responsibility and the significance of being an African-American woman Imagineer and appreciates that the opportunity is "bigger" than her. She respects the fact that she must do her very best to serve as an inspiration for others. Carter makes it a point to say that when she first came into the company, she worked with many men but observed a unique dynamic when a woman of color occupied a leadership position which she considers an advantage.

"A lot of people I worked with had never worked with an African-American woman before, and they weren't sure what that entailed. So there were no preconceived notions. Often with women, it's like you might relate to a woman at work as your wife or sister. I was kind of like an unknown entity. So I decided to lean into that and craft my own script. I was very fortunate to work with a group of people who, like a lot of the characteristics of Imagineers: are curious, want to learn, wanting to have new experiences, and I found myself surrounded by a group of very supportive people who recognized my talent, and felt as we're all just firing on all of our cylinders, we can, we can make the best product," she says, sharing that her journey was not easy and there were moments she felt invisible and misunderstood.

Nevertheless, she moved forward because she grasped the gravity of her role, "That's my inspiration, and that's why I keep going. I'm happy to say that Imagineering that I've had more positive experiences than I have had negative ones. There have been negative experiences, but the positive ones have outweighed them, and as I've worked with teams now in the creative space for 15 years, yes, I am an African-American producer. But I'm, I'm sure Charita Carter, I'm a known entity, first and foremost. I think that our organization's magic is the people we work with and the fact that we work with so many amazing, talented, passionate people. That's the reason I'm still here."

She advises young Black boys and girls who may consider pursuing a career in Disney Imagineering is available to take the time to understand what makes them excited and discover the myriad of opportunities the company offers.

"Once you determine that, lean into it, and give it everything you have. I'm one of those people who believe that your gifts and your talents will make room for you," she says, continuing, "Don't be afraid to try new things; that has been at the base of my career, every opportunity that I have gotten it was completely new to me. But I was willing to lean in and figure it out and not be afraid to fail, which is not easy, but it's the attitude that you have to have because you don't want to forgo an opportunity to find what you truly enjoy and what you were designed to do."

Unknowingly, Carter echoes revered Disney ethos of maintaining bravery in the face of opposition; she guides future Imagineers to surround themselves with a formidable support group and for creators of color to gain as much experience and knowledge as they can ascertain without deterrent.

"If the direction they want to go, and they're pulled another direction because the road is never straight, I think about auditing, working in finance and for a food company, all the things that I've done [like] working in community theater, and my photography, everything that I have done cumulatively has equipped me to be a more rounded and better producer," she reveals. "Some of it was not logical, so not to be deterred, it seems like you have to go left when you want to go straight because eventually, you'll be able to get back there with much more than [if] you had taken a straight path. So hang in there, lean into the opportunities, stay true to who you are and what you love, and you will get to where you need to be."

Would you look at that? She wasn’t the first person to transition from accounting to creative. Two others did the exact same thing, 10 years prior. So, it’s not all that bizarre.

Nland316

We need your hands!!!! Because I'm a raccoon, I don't have hands!!!! So I need your hands to trigger the whatchamacallit which will release the thingamajig!!! Get ready!!! Raise your hands to be scanned or something!!!!
I had my reservations about this narrative when the ride was opening. I initially thought it would be cheesy, but was genuinely surprised by how effective it ended up being from my own experiences.

Every time I’ve been on Guardians, everyone has lifted their hands and follows along with it easy.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

I had my reservations about this narrative when the ride was opening. I initially thought it would be cheesy, but was genuinely surprised by how effective it ended up being from my own experiences.

Every time I’ve been on Guardians, everyone has lifted their hands and follows along with it easy.
They do something similar in Flight of Passage where you have to raise your arms because scary alien parasites are attached to the guests and the scientists need to get them off. Both GotG and FoP have the same issue of an extremely long pre-show that feels longer than the ride itself.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster

Because it’s fun. The general public, for the most part, has a great time on the ride.

TP2000

Because I'm still generally optimistic about this ride, this thought occurred to me just now...

What if WDI was smart enough to give over the queue to HR and the real designers just get to do the fun, toe-tapping log ride itself?

If the original plotline of Princess & The Frog is no longer good enough for HR executives, and HR is not comfortable with a young woman entrepreneur who worked hard to build and own her own successful business, and if it makes someone in HR uneasy that no Asians or Hispanics are shown in the film, plus whatever other moral failings the original film allegedly has just fifteen years later...

What if WDI was smart enough to divvy up the areas where new plot was inserted and new backstory was created, and it gave HR the queue to do all that box checking to their hearts content? Because they are smart Imagineers and they already know the Splash Mountain queue is a crowded and narrow series of hallways that are so inherently noisy and confined that even a stagnant Standby line won't notice or see most of it, much less the LightningLane+ riders who pay extra to not have to spend time looking at stuff in the queue?

Any savvy Imagineer who knows how Disneyland actually works will understand that design issue immediately.

So... Congratulations to our HR partners, you get to decorate the queue. 🤣

Meanwhile, the Imagineers get to make the Tiana ride experience itself a happy, upbeat, musical fun-fest with Saxaphone playing alligators and loveable Mama Odie and spunky Tiana and hunky Naveen leading the way to sunshine and good times, guaranteed? And thus the ride itself is actually a great experience that reflects the real movie's happy tone and sunshiny characters.

Perhaps the WDI execs were smart enough to go that route in order to protect the actual ride itself from HR mandates?

Last edited:

TP2000

Using this again, because as I remember it, the interior queue at WDW is mostly just as confined and narrow as the Disneyland one. Even though 3 years separates the two attractions, and Disneyland's version was the last attraction designed before the ADA laws went into effect in the early 90's. (So no wonder it's so cramped and narrow by today's standards)

But what separates WDW's queue is the big pen of switchbacks it has outdoors, where at Disneyland they have to sort of snake the line around the mountain and down alongside Haunted Mansion.

At WDW, they have this big outdoor swath of switchbacks, which still won't do much for the new plot development and various lecture series they have planned for Tiana. Especially if they don't block the WiFi and Cell signals and thus force people to look at newspaper clippings about President Wilson's stance on segregation in the Armed Forces.

At Christmas and holiday weekends when both parks have to set up extended, extended queue, the line control CM's could maybe roll out some mobile display cases that also discuss why President Wilson's League of Nations idea was flawed from the beginning, or the lasting impact of his Federal Trade Commission Act. Whimsy. 🥳

2023-wdw-mk-magic-kingdom-splash-mountain-closing-weekend-crowds-line-queue.jpg

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

Fans responding to Monsters Inc, Little Mermaid, etc: "Ugh! A book report! We HATE book reports! Why can't you do something ORIGINAL?!?!?!?"
Fans responding to Tiana's Bayou Adventure: "Ugh! Original ideas that aren't based on things we saw in the movie?!? Why would you do this?? Why can't you do it just like THE MOVIE?!?!?!?"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom