Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

Rich Brownn

No mate. It’s just the rows of seats that move within the RV chassis. As big as the chassis is it’s only the rows that move. The building doesn’t move any more than the Soarin' building moves.
Actually you are incorrect. If you watched the video you would see where the people sit - all 3 floors - move up an down. Thats why I said part of the building moves up and down. And it does.

UNCgolf

Actually you are incorrect. If you watched the video you would see where the people sit - all 3 floors - move up an down. Thats why I said part of the building moves up and down. And it does.

I think that's a mechanism inside the building (i.e. part of the ride system) but not part of the actual building structure; I think that's what @marni1971 was saying.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure the three levels in Soarin' move too.

Last edited:

gerarar

Premium Member
All the immediate effects from the other day were fixed. Hux and Kylo AA on Bridge, Kylo lightsaber before elevator. Kylo in end scene was also in A-mode.

From today:

Only remaining broken effect (besides the cannons) is the AT-AT cannon blasters on Track A.

And just like that, Kylo on the bridge is broken again. Final Kylo AA is on B-mode.

This livestream was right before park closing, so sometime during the day these 2 AA's broke since they were working in the morning in the earlier livestream.

Riding Rise in the morning is the safer bet to see all/majority of the effects working seems like.

Rich Brownn

I think that's a mechanism inside the building (i.e. part of the ride system) but not part of the actual building structure; I think that's what @marni1971 was saying.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure the three levels in Soarin' move too.
Soaring doesn't have a floor you walk on. The entire section where the vehicles are on move up and down. While technically not part of the building in terms of construction, it is set up to be a 3-level "balcony" if you prefer, with up and down motion. Soaring does not have up and down motion ... it goes up at the start and comes down at the end. The name of the system is Dynamic Flying Theater.

RoysCabin

Does it appear that RotR downtime and/or broken effects are more likely later in the day?
Ironically, I just got back from a trip yesterday; my brother got us a Lightning Lane for Rise, but it was actually shut down first thing when the park opened and didn't open up for a few hours.

That was the first time I got to experience Rise, Smuggler's Run, and Galaxy's Edge as a whole (didn't get to have a drink at the cantina, granted), and I have to say my reaction was a pretty resounding "it was ok." Don't mistake me, I can see the technological work and everything that went into the attraction and ride, and my friends thought I was kind of crazy for not being more enthusiastic, but I couldn't help it - probably didn't help that I knew a lot of what was in the ride already (wish the AT-AT room had been a surprise for me), but I just didn't really have much of a reaction to a lot of what was happening...notable exception being Kylo's lightsaber lighting up and approaching the car, that was a fantastic effect.

It occurred to me that it was pretty much the same reaction I had to Flight of Passage when I last went to WDW in 2019; nice ride, wouldn't mind going on again if the lines are reasonable, but I didn't really see anything that made me want to spend extra money on a Lightning Lane or wait on any lengthy lines. I wonder if part of it is just not really having any kind of emotional attachment to the movies the rides are based on; I've never watched the Avatar movies, and the Star Wars sequel trilogy just left no impression on me in the end (ended up not bothering with Rise of Skywalker), so just getting to see characters/settings from them really leaves me feeling kind of empty. Rides can still be effective when they're based on a film/series a rider isn't familiar with, but they have to be designed a certain way to overcome the lack of familiarity/care a rider might have. Unfortunately, I feel like a lot of the newer IP-based rides don't have that enough. To me, attractions need to be more evocative than anything else; the more plot you squeeze into them, the more the experience kind of suffers, and it doesn't solve the problem to have a bunch of "Leo DiCaprio points at the TV" moments for fans to go "I recognize that!" over. Flight of Passage avoids doing too much of that, to its credit, but not really caring about the sequel trilogy made this ride feel a bit hollow for me, at least relative to the hype.

End of the day, I kind of felt it was a 3 star out of 5 kind of attraction, but one that's hyped, budgeted, and presented as something that breaks the scale. Meantime, I felt like it was an inferior version of Spider-man over at Islands of Adventure, which is over 20 years old but still 100% held up when I got to ride it again in 2019. I wonder how it'd fare if Galaxy's Edge maintained that whole "LARP" quality it was going for initially, where your ride experiences would influence your experience in the wider land, but I ended up feeling about Galaxy's Edge the same way I did about Pandora, but to an even stronger degree: it's "Disney's answer to Potter, without getting what makes Potter work." So yeah, pretty good, but nothing I'm particularly enthusiastic about.

Marc Davis Fan

Ironically, I just got back from a trip yesterday; my brother got us a Lightning Lane for Rise, but it was actually shut down first thing when the park opened and didn't open up for a few hours.

That was the first time I got to experience Rise, Smuggler's Run, and Galaxy's Edge as a whole (didn't get to have a drink at the cantina, granted), and I have to say my reaction was a pretty resounding "it was ok." Don't mistake me, I can see the technological work and everything that went into the attraction and ride, and my friends thought I was kind of crazy for not being more enthusiastic, but I couldn't help it - probably didn't help that I knew a lot of what was in the ride already (wish the AT-AT room had been a surprise for me), but I just didn't really have much of a reaction to a lot of what was happening...notable exception being Kylo's lightsaber lighting up and approaching the car, that was a fantastic effect.

It occurred to me that it was pretty much the same reaction I had to Flight of Passage when I last went to WDW in 2019; nice ride, wouldn't mind going on again if the lines are reasonable, but I didn't really see anything that made me want to spend extra money on a Lightning Lane or wait on any lengthy lines. I wonder if part of it is just not really having any kind of emotional attachment to the movies the rides are based on; I've never watched the Avatar movies, and the Star Wars sequel trilogy just left no impression on me in the end (ended up not bothering with Rise of Skywalker), so just getting to see characters/settings from them really leaves me feeling kind of empty. Rides can still be effective when they're based on a film/series a rider isn't familiar with, but they have to be designed a certain way to overcome the lack of familiarity/care a rider might have. Unfortunately, I feel like a lot of the newer IP-based rides don't have that enough. To me, attractions need to be more evocative than anything else; the more plot you squeeze into them, the more the experience kind of suffers, and it doesn't solve the problem to have a bunch of "Leo DiCaprio points at the TV" moments for fans to go "I recognize that!" over. Flight of Passage avoids doing too much of that, to its credit, but not really caring about the sequel trilogy made this ride feel a bit hollow for me, at least relative to the hype.

End of the day, I kind of felt it was a 3 star out of 5 kind of attraction, but one that's hyped, budgeted, and presented as something that breaks the scale. Meantime, I felt like it was an inferior version of Spider-man over at Islands of Adventure, which is over 20 years old but still 100% held up when I got to ride it again in 2019. I wonder how it'd fare if Galaxy's Edge maintained that whole "LARP" quality it was going for initially, where your ride experiences would influence your experience in the wider land, but I ended up feeling about Galaxy's Edge the same way I did about Pandora, but to an even stronger degree: it's "Disney's answer to Potter, without getting what makes Potter work." So yeah, pretty good, but nothing I'm particularly enthusiastic about.
This is a really interesting take. Thanks for sharing all these details.

Did you already watch the RotR ride-throughs, or were you going in spoiler-free? I think one issue is that it’s very linear-story-driven, which makes it particularly impressive when you’ve not watched videos of it. That was my experience and that of a number of friends I’ve gone with since (and interestingly, most found it especially impressive on the second ride-through, perhaps because there’s so much going on that one doesn’t catch the story as well on the first ride-through).

I was also blown away be the land itself—including the rockwork, small details, and how the layout promotes exploration/discovery. The main thing I found lacking—apart from the kinetics as has been discussed a lot—is the “architecture of reassurance,” which is particularly noticeable at DL since it’s so at odds with how that quality permeates the whole rest of the park.

Edit: Rereading your post, I see that indeed you were not going in spoiler-free, and I think that was likely a major factor.

RoysCabin

This is a really interesting take. Thanks for sharing all these details.

Did you already watch the RotR ride-throughs, or were you going in spoiler-free? I think one issue is that it’s very linear-story-driven, which makes it particularly impressive when you’ve not watched videos of it. That was my experience and that of a number of friends I’ve gone with since (and interestingly, most found it especially impressive on the second ride-through, perhaps because there’s so much going on that one doesn’t catch the story as well on the first ride-through).

I was also blown away be the land itself—including the rockwork, small details, and how the layout promotes exploration/discovery. The main thing I found lacking—apart from the kinetics as has been discussed a lot—is the “architecture of reassurance,” which is particularly noticeable at DL since it’s so at odds with how that quality permeates the whole rest of the park.

Edit: Rereading your post, I see that indeed you were not going in spoiler-free, and I think that was likely a major factor.
That "linear story" thing may be a factor, for sure; I don't think I watched a full ride through video before going on, but I'd seen pictures and heard descriptions of stuff. Still, I've watched full ride-throughs and Martin's entire tribute to a ride like, say, Phantom Manor, but I still have a lot of desire to actually be on that ride for myself and see it firsthand, and I think it being less linear story-wise and more experiential contributes to that.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom