News Tomorrowland love

Bocabear

It really is laughable....and yet they are talking about expanding the boundaries of the park while Tomorrowland is left with a shuttered attraction in the entrance and an unfinished refurbishment to the whole land. We gained one attraction but still seem to have less than we had 20 years ago...

ppete1975

I feel that if the virus hadnt happened we would have had the Tomorrowland we wanted (or improvement at least) before the 50th. Once everything happened, they realized it wouldn't be finished by the 50th so they finished Tron.

Now sadly they need huge announcements and big construction projects. I don't think they can be bothered improving ascetics or put something in a small area (like stitch that wouldn't change the exterior). I don't see them putting something new in stitch because they don't see the ROI. A new land, a huge construction project that people can follow online as its built, or a huge IP coming is what they are wanting. Something they can sell on social media.
Stitch is small and nothing they add to Tomorrowland will add the PR punch they are looking for. They aren't going to change the building it goes into and can't build a cool land around it.

Or they are going to stop doing all maintenance and this is their plan for a dystopian future ala mad max. AAs with their faces falling off and arms missing, slurring their words, and things falling apart ala that simpsons episode or 5 nights at freddies.

Incomudro

I feel that if the virus hadnt happened we would have had the Tomorrowland we wanted (or improvement at least) before the 50th. Once everything happened, they realized it wouldn't be finished by the 50th so they finished Tron.

Now sadly they need huge announcements and big construction projects. I don't think they can be bothered improving ascetics or put something in a small area (like stitch that wouldn't change the exterior). I don't see them putting something new in stitch because they don't see the ROI. A new land, a huge construction project that people can follow online as its built, or a huge IP coming is what they are wanting. Something they can sell on social media.
Stitch is small and nothing they add to Tomorrowland will add the PR punch they are looking for. They aren't going to change the building it goes into and can't build a cool land around it.

Or they are going to stop doing all maintenance and this is their plan for a dystopian future ala mad max. AAs with their faces falling off and arms missing, slurring their words, and things falling apart ala that simpsons episode or 5 nights at freddies.
"Where nothing can possibly go wrong, go wrong, go wrong..."

Brian

I’m still here 👋

This thread didn’t age well did it ?
It's too bad they switched from the land/area leadership model back to the old line of business model. It had its problems for sure, but it worked in Tomorrowland's case, especially when Deb was at the helm. Some more enhancements probably would have come to fruition if she were still over the land.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I’m getting horribly old, this thread was relatively recent in my mind
On again off again Stitch replacement along with other land and attraction refreshes that appears to have taken a backseat to other priorities. Was looking forward to WEDway changes too. Such a hollow land now. Focus is elsewhere.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"

I don't think they ever had the budget to really do what was needed.

ppete1975

I don't think they ever had the budget to really do what was needed.
Outside of replacing the spires... which will never happen. Replacing stitch, some cosmetic changes and some upgrades really wouldnt be too expensive. You cant do much unless you remove buildings in that area, and I dont think any of us want that. Or am I off base. I think they had a pretty big budget for fixing up the parks and doing some massive upgrades before 2020.

I think they could still do anything they want now, but the people in charge have changed priorities. And I dont see Tomorrowland getting much if any budget at this point.

wdrive

Can we take a second to remember, the busiest (and probably most profitable) theme park in the world, which is desperate for more capacity, has an attraction that has been shuttered for years and shows no plans in reopening

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Outside of replacing the spires... which will never happen. Replacing stitch, some cosmetic changes and some upgrades really wouldnt be too expensive. You cant do much unless you remove buildings in that area, and I dont think any of us want that. Or am I off base. I think they had a pretty big budget for fixing up the parks and doing some massive upgrades before 2020.

I think they could still do anything they want now, but the people in charge have changed priorities. And I dont see Tomorrowland getting much if any budget at this point.
If they announced a Walle ride tomorrow the fan reaction would be overwhelmingly positive, so they definitely could use IPs if they wanted to fix up the land, but they realize the impact Galaxy's Edge had on Disneyland's capacity was a tremendous boost to park ops, and MK needs it worse.

ppete1975

Can we take a second to remember, the busiest (and probably most profitable) theme park in the world, which is desperate for more capacity, has an attraction that has been shuttered for years and shows no plans in reopening
Here is the problem though. It's not an eye sore. It's a closet on the side of a building. Most people wouldn't even notice that there was something there if they didn't know about it.

It's not a huge area that's closed, as far as let's say if they closed Big thunder, splash (rip), 20 leagues (rip).

If they put something there, it can't be a huge attraction there isn't the space.

And in the age of social media, you won't get the constant, here's the latest building update photos, or the aerial photos of the area. All of that is free advertising for Disney. Outside of Disney leaking photos of the progress inside the show building, the fervor that is built online would be mild. You dont have 100 youtubers that every day walk by to show you the progress, and give out that free publicity and build the excitement.

So in their mind they want to build stuff that people are excited about during the 10 year build process it takes them. A small attraction that will be hard to really promote until its almost opened, doesn't get the same buzz that something like Tron, Star Wars, or Tiana has.

Now if they had a great idea that could live in a small footprint, fits tomorrowland and could be done cheaply, it might get greenlit, but the parameters arent that exciting compared to a huge blank canvas or an area with no creative limitations.

Sadly that's the world we live in, and that's the way the people in charge think. In my opinion.

ppete1975

If they announced a Walle ride tomorrow the fan reaction would be overwhelmingly positive, so they definitely could use IPs if they wanted to fix up the land, but they realize the impact Galaxy's Edge had on Disneyland's capacity was a tremendous boost to park ops, and MK needs it worse.
Wall-e... one of the IPs that they do not use nearly enough.
Any merch they make sells great (beside my desk is every wall-e funko and the lego Wall-e) HE fits at Epcot and tomorrowland.

For some reason has no presence in the parks outside of paris (who loves Wall-e), unless I am missing something in the outside parks.

You can also have a great message with him, regarding protecting the earth.

For an example why is he not outside the window riding his fire extinguisher outside the windows of Space 220.

Talk about missed opportunities, does anyone even talk about Space 220? They could change what you see outside the windows every so often and create new buzz, but I haven't heard them publicize or even talk about it in years.

Back on topic though, what kind of attraction would you put there for Walle though. There isn't room for an omnimover (unless I'm wrong again). I think either a star tours, or a show is about all that would fit (or something new an creative)

wdrive

Here is the problem though. It's not an eye sore. It's a closet on the side of a building. Most people wouldn't even notice that there was something there if they didn't know about it.

It's not a huge area that's closed, as far as let's say if they closed Big thunder, splash (rip), 20 leagues (rip).

If they put something there, it can't be a huge attraction there isn't the space.

And in the age of social media, you won't get the constant, here's the latest building update photos, or the aerial photos of the area. All of that is free advertising for Disney. Outside of Disney leaking photos of the progress inside the show building, the fervor that is built online would be mild. You dont have 100 youtubers that every day walk by to show you the progress, and give out that free publicity and build the excitement.

So in their mind they want to build stuff that people are excited about during the 10 year build process it takes them. A small attraction that will be hard to really promote until its almost opened, doesn't get the same buzz that something like Tron, Star Wars, or Tiana has.

Now if they had a great idea that could live in a small footprint, fits tomorrowland and could be done cheaply, it might get greenlit, but the parameters arent that exciting compared to a huge blank canvas or an area with no creative limitations.

Sadly that's the world we live in, and that's the way the people in charge think. In my opinion.

They could have just kept Stitch’s Great Escape open. While far from a masterpiece it was an adequate diversion that let you rest your feet with not much of a wait.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom